Man Finds Military Missile Launcher in Garden

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Yeah, just a Dragon probably used for practice. The warhead is long gone. If it were in there, he would be struggling to hold it like that. We used them all the time for training excercises and EIB training/testing well after the Gulf War. The last time I saw a live Dragon fired was in 2000. What this guy found is really nothing too exciting.

Unless used in some crime, I can't imagine any Federal or local law enforcement would respond. It's a military issue, especially when it's merely a training aid. There isn't any intelligence value in this either, so no big deal there.

Comal county is right next to an Army reserve base, too.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]trucmuche4[/nom]Can't missile launcher be legally owned by anyone in the US? Oh no wait, it's only full automatic assault rifles and .5 cal sniper rifle...Cause you know, deers are so fast nowadays that you need to shoot them a hundred times per second or from one mile away so they have no idea you're around.Anyway, funny enough that you find missile launcher in the US when you're gardening, what would we find if we really started looking?[/citation]
It's a common misapprehension, even by some of our own political "representatives", that the Right to Keep and Bear Arms has something to do with hunting. That is not correct. It has to do with personal defense, but not necessarily from criminals, though that is a part of it. It is the guarantee of protection of the People against a tyrannical government.

Now, of course, some might be naive and point out that a bunch of civilians with guns couldn't stand up to the might of the US military. Normally, that would be true. However, having served in the military myself, I know that there are a LOT of soldiers who would absolutely refuse to follow orders to take aggressive action against the citizens of this country. Furthermore, you see how much harm can be done by a few thousand terrorists with I.E.D.s, light arms, and even box cutters. What do you think would be the result of open revolt by a few million armed Americans?

I hope that never has to be put to the test, but there it is.

jecht

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
That's weird, this guy only lives in the next county over and I haven't heard a word about this. Well, it was probably in the news or newspaper, but I pretty much only read Tom's for news lol

Platypus

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Gian124[/nom]Finder = keeper!!!you might need that to kill zombies one day![/citation]Killing zombies would make you a racist.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Since it was empty and from what I understand, non reusable they should have allowed him to keep as a souvenir if he wanted it.

rambo117

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
[citation][nom]asjflask[/nom]You must be very new to this site? There's always at least one weird piece in the news here which is one thing I like. I like these interesting non-tech articles -- I like sharing them with my co-workers because they get a kick out of these.[/citation]
same here, and sometimes when i find a really interesting one, i include it in my school's newspaper.

sgtmike327

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
I carried one of these in the first gulf war ('91). Calling that 'combat' may be a bit much. I doubt one of these has ever actually been used in combat.

This is most definitely not a live round. It was fairly common to use old launch tubes as training aids, and live rounds have bumper pads on the front. Sometimes a weight was stuck in the middle of the tube to give it a more "realistic feel" when you carried it around. (greatly increasing the odds of somebody 'accidently' dropping it when slogging through the woods)

WORST MISSILE EVER

1: It had to be fired in the sitting position. Ever been shot at? sitting position is not exactly ideal...

2: It made a giant dust cloud right behind you. hiding from giant tanks? rule #1: don't make a giant dust cloud right behind you.

3: It was guided by a wire that was hooked to the launcher. so you had to keep the target square in the site for the entire time it was in flight.

sum it all up: giant tank bearing down on you. sit completely exposed, send up a big smoke signal so the tank crew can see what your up to, sit motionless while the tank unloads its weapons in your general direction.

and the punchline - The warhead is too small to do anything but screw up the paint job.

side note: Battlefield 2 used this as the anti-tank guy's weapon.

dingumf

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
[citation][nom]cookoy[/nom]Another non-tech story. Not complaining coz i'm reading it. So is there a part 2 instore as you left the end hanging as to from where it came from. Ok i see that "full story here" link. Guess i'm supposed to click on it. It's not a remote trigger to the launcher? Here goes...[/citation]

Tom's Guide has become garbage for tech news.

pythy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
He did the right thing by letting the authorities know. Just imagine if he'd kept it and got busted with it:
Interrogator: HOW DID YOU GET THIS MISSLE LAUNCHER?
Jarrette: ....I found it....
Interrogator: WHERE?
Jarrette: ....in my backyard....

Not a strong defense case.....

G

Plant cherry bombs in the spring, harvest rocket launchers in the fall

doopydoo22

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]SVoyager[/nom]omg this part made my day. I have a sudden urge of doing some lawn mowing, could find something cool.[/citation]

This is truly a motivational story.

Status
Not open for further replies.