Man Steals iPhone Being Used in GPS Tracking

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stromm

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004
The BS about all this "OH, we have GPS Tracking for your Cell" is that ANY stolen cell phone can be located by the cellular provider. They just don't want to do it. Not even for a fee.

Same goes with iPods. Apple can track those too, but they refuse to do so even when presented with a request/warrant from law enforcement.

It's so simple, there's no excuse.

j51

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
[citation][nom]dokiardo[/nom]So let me get this straight. He just happens to steal it from a lady using it to demo gps software. Does anyone smell a setup for free publicity?[/citation]

If there is going to ba a charge put on that guy: No

A setup just to trick people into the crime? You probably think too much...:p

If the guy is released without a charge despit the clear evidence... then: YES

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]_cubase_[/nom]You're stealing it wrong![/citation]
I don't have anything more to add. I'm just making a new post so we can continue to rate up this awesome joke! ;)

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
[citation][nom]lashton[/nom]i think this is why tomshardware has gone downhill because this story is not interesting at all, who cares toms, you really are getting sickening[/citation]
If Godsteve jobs were here, he'd say you're reading it the wrong way

G

this has to be total bs. you are telling me that the phone was stolen, she contacted the police, the gps company was contacted, the police arrived on scene and the guy had managed to pedal a whopping .5 of a mile in that time?

evidently the gps police are using time machines to protect the iphone

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]sliem[/nom]This is all staged. Ten minutes and you only go as far as half a mile after stealing? Bull S.[/citation]
I know right!
AND the police are SOOO fast to catch the dude for stealing a phone, as if they would get to this the same day.

lalandev

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2008
Soooooooooooo tired of Apple news. Don't get me wrong, Apple, SOMETIMES, build great products (Microsoft too BTW!)... but the media exposure of these products is WAY too much.

Plz Tom's, jump out the window of the damn Apple Bandwagon...

michaelssw

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]sliem[/nom]This is all staged. Ten minutes and you only go as far as half a mile after stealing? Bull S.[/citation]

He spent 9 minutes trying to get reception

wawa sxm

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
[citation][nom]scook9[/nom]Good thing he was not "holding it wrong".....then the signal may have never got through to track him haha[/citation]

lmao!!

IFLATLINEI

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
I think its funny how they caught him and arrest him on suspicion of grand theft and possession of stolen property. Is it really just suspicion at this point?

makwy2

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
See.. driving while NOT looking at your phone can be dangerous and land you in jail! It is just as thousands of teens thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.