Mario Creator Mentions New Nintendo Hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I have seen Wii emulators for the PC running @ 1080p and even with the cartoonish graphics of most Wii games, it looks great. I don't think the system needs to support Blu-Ray but maybe a small HDD or enough built in Flash Memory to support small installs for dual layer DVD size games. This would allow a considerable boost in development possibilities as well as modern graphics capabilities. It wouldn't quite push it into the PS3 realm but more XBox 360's current capabilites, allowing them to maintain the lower price point.

rhino13

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Not the Wii!!! Maybe Nintendo will finally find their boat of casual gamer island [read multimedia and internet browsing/"gameplay" in the living room].

kyzar

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
[citation][nom]doomtomb[/nom]Not the Wii HD? I think Nintendo missed the boat on multimedia and internet browsing/gameplay in the living room.[/citation]

[citation][nom]rhino13[/nom]Not the Wii!!! Maybe Nintendo will finally find their boat of casual gamer island [read multimedia and internet browsing/"gameplay" in the living room].[/citation]

You do know the wii has Opera as a browser option right? I decided to use Wii's with 42" screens to run content advertisements at work - much cheaper and more capabilities in the browser than a £5k dedicated system, though the next ones will be PS3-based for full HD as the screens will be going up to 50" plus...

r3t4rd

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
[citation][nom]rhino13[/nom]Not the Wii!!! Maybe Nintendo will finally find their boat of casual gamer island [read multimedia and internet browsing/"gameplay" in the living room].[/citation]
Well apparently that little boat of casual gammers is what PS3 and Xbox is trying to get in on the boat with. Why? From a business standpoint, Nintendo is in the money, while Sony and MS is...looking from the outside in. From a Hardcore Gamer's standpoint, the Wii is a kids toy - so wut? Its all about the bling.

If I was in the same business as Nintendo...I'd do the samething. It keeps the $$$$ coming. But most hardcore gamers, put them in Nintendo's situation, wouldn't know or careless about $$$ but rather "How powerful the processor and graphisc" has to be.

G

I'm no fanboy, but I have become extremely anti-nintendo. They could make a Wii that plays tricked-out Crysis and I would buy it if I had cash to burn. Their business model is anti-innovative.

TunaSoda

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2005
The wii is just a gamecube with a fancy controller (that is why it plays GC games)
The only new hardware they have made IS the controller itself, that is probably why there is no wii HD, because they would have to remake the hardware from scratch

G

the Wii uses modified GC hardware, plus a dedicated physics processor. get your facts straight.

smlong

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2006
I'd definitely like to see Nintendo get the Wii hardware up to current standards. I have had a Wii since it's release, and other than a few choice titles, it has been pretty disappointing.

ubergeek

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
[citation][nom]kyzar[/nom]You do know the wii has Opera as a browser option right? I decided to use Wii's with 42" screens to run content advertisements at work - much cheaper and more capabilities in the browser than a £5k dedicated system, though the next ones will be PS3-based for full HD as the screens will be going up to 50" plus...[/citation]
You are joking right? The Opera browser is horrid due to lack of video resolution and working plugins. 480P just doesn't cut it. Thank goodness for my HTPC!

amstech

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
redodson, Even if you do bump the games up they will look much cleaner but the max resolution has little to do with how a game looks overall. Its the programming, technologies, game engine and all types of texture resolution, mipmapping ability, design ETC.... that decide how a game translates to the TV, not its output resolution.

Turning Wii games into 1080p games will make them look better and clean them up, but they are still nothing more then glorified gamecube games and Nintendo's next system needs to be much more powerful.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
How is this news? Companies always get started on their next platform when they release their current one. I thought this was obvious fact by now.

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
Why is everyone expecting the Wii to start trying to compete with the 360/PS3? That has never been Nintendo's goal with the Wii, why would they suddenly start now? Over 67 million consoles worldwide, and they are consistently fighting for top spots with their in-house offerings like Sports Resort and Wii Fit. Seems to me like they've found their place - right now, they don't need super hi-def offerings to be competitive. They may in the future, but for now, they are doing quite well.

r3t4rd

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
[citation][nom]Restatement3dOfTed[/nom]Why is everyone expecting the Wii to start trying to compete with the 360/PS3? That has never been Nintendo's goal with the Wii, why would they suddenly start now? Over 67 million consoles worldwide, and they are consistently fighting for top spots with their in-house offerings like Sports Resort and Wii Fit. Seems to me like they've found their place - right now, they don't need super hi-def offerings to be competitive. They may in the future, but for now, they are doing quite well.[/citation]
Well Stated!!! you deserve a +20. Again its all business common sense and profits. But most people here just don't get it.

steiner666

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
it's not going to be a new console, it's going to be a new, possibly-gimmicky peripheral that only a handful of games will make use of, and only about 1 or 2 (official nintendo games no doubt) will do right. nintendo has been obsessed with puttin out silly peripherals in the past and it's only gotten worse on this console gen (worse as in more, the quality has actually been pretty good). I do think they should get a new console out soon though, the wii was a big hit a few years ago buy i think ppl who actually like playing games steadily have moved on to a diff console or PC.

and for u ppl jonesin for a Wii HD and some other form of super wii, have you not heard of emulators? namely, the Dolphin emu? It's to the point now where i can play almost all the wii/gc games that i loved (zelda, smash bros, mario kart, mario galaxy, etc) in sweet 1080p goodness, with an actual wiimote. get a ~3ghz+ quad and a GTX series card (or ATI equiv) and then google it, you're guaranteed to get faster and better results than you will wishing nintendo will get with it.

tikrjee

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
Dear Mr Miyamoto,
For the next Nintendo, I wish for:

HD gaming
A greater expanded online store
Streaming media capabilities (movies, music, internet, etc.)
A real controller
The classic gaming feel I grew up with

Bring back that feeling all gamers got playing titles like Super Mario 3, The Ocarina of Time, A Link to the Past, Star Fox 64, F-Zero, Pilotwings... the list can go on for quite some time.
Bring back that "gotta have it" feeling. Bring back that "one more level" feeling. Bring back Nintendo!

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
It would be amazing if they anounce their next portable console (DS 2). Nintendo will be using Nvidia hardware in their next system and it would be even more amazing if they were using the Tegra 2. I seriously doubt Nintendo would announce the successor to the Wii before the next DS. This is all just based on rumors (and the release dates of the previous consoles), but it's being said that Nintendo's next portable will be released by the end of the year. I've heard nothing, not even a rumor about the next Wii being released before 2011.

Status
Not open for further replies.