Mars Curiosity Rover Gets First Check-in on Foursquare

Status
Not open for further replies.

frombehind

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
No 3G or wifi... Cold, dry, and rocky...

Sounds a lot like the mountains of Afghanistan =[

3 more months till I get to return to civilization!

rocknrollz

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
instead wasting $$ on these outer space exploration. let's try to end the human suffering first

Space exploration is crucial to human existence. We really need to discover a planet that is able to inhabit human life, without another planet to fallback on we will certainly follow through to extinction. Earth has limited resources, and by 2050 it will all be used up. We need another source, and space is the obvious choice.

rocknrollz

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
Let me correct my self, not all will be used by 2050, but our reserves will start seeing a decline, and we will HAVE to start finding other ways without the resources.

santfu

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
[citation][nom]eternalkp[/nom]instead wasting $$ on these outer space exploration. let's try to end the human suffering first[/citation]

While I can't fault the sentiment, I think that it's large-scale global projects like space exploration that will be the path to end human suffering.

gerchokas

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
[citation][nom]santfu[/nom]While I can't fault the sentiment, I think that it's large-scale global projects like space exploration that will be the path to end human suffering.[/citation]

Exactly. Exploring other planets is one of the greatest achievements of mankind, not only scientifically but also philosophically: It ties us together and helps us realize how close we actually are and how we depend on this planet and each other.
Not to mention that space exploration has provided us with enormous mathematics and physics breakthroughs that have important practical applications - just google 'optics'

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
[citation][nom]eternalkp[/nom]instead wasting $$ on these outer space exploration. let's try to end the human suffering first[/citation]
if you think that the paltry sums of money that a spent on this mission and others like it are the place to look for budgetary changes for the betterment of mankind than you are painfully misguided.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]frombehind[/nom]No 3G or wifi... Cold, dry, and rocky...Sounds a lot like the mountains of Colorado =[3 more months till I get to return to civilization![/citation]
Fixed!

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]gerchokas[/nom]Exactly. Exploring other planets is one of the greatest achievements of mankind, not only scientifically but also philosophically: It ties us together and helps us realize how close we actually are and how we depend on this planet and each other.Not to mention that space exploration has provided us with enormous mathematics and physics breakthroughs that have important practical applications - just google 'optics'[/citation]
Also increases our chance of survival in the event of a catastrophic incident, such as large meteorites, nuclear war, zombie apocalypse, etc, not limiting ourselves to a single planet will definately help. The only real bummer is playing online games with people on Mars, the lag would be terrible.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]RockNRollz[/nom]Let me correct my self, not all will be used by 2050, but our reserves will start seeing a decline, and we will HAVE to start finding other ways without the resources.[/citation]
The Earth already has enough resources to provide power for everyone in an energy-rich society for the next million years and more, using dead dinosaurs and uranium is possibly the dumbest and most inefficient and expensive way to do it - try reading up Oak Ridge from the 1950's and Thorium reactors, Kirk Sorenson has done some excellent follow up work in the last couple of years that nobody in the USA is listening to and the Chinese are pouring billions into it - get with Thorium or become an energy equivalent of a third-world nation in the next 30 years.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
GO NASA! The men and women of the organization are proof that you can truly do anything if you just put your mind to it and don't accept "that's impossible" for an answer.

stonedatheist

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Also increases our chance of survival in the event of a catastrophic incident, such as large meteorites, nuclear war, zombie apocalypse, etc, not limiting ourselves to a single planet will definately help. The only real bummer is playing online games with people on Mars, the lag would be terrible.[/citation]

Sorry to burst your bubble but people on Earth and people on Mars would not be able to play online games together. The very best case scenario is Mars is at its Perihelion at the same time the Earth is at its Aphelion and the Earth eclipses Mars. The Perihelion of Mars is 1.381497 AU and the Aphelion of Earth is 1.01671388 AU. The difference is 0.36478312 AU which multiplied by 92,955,807 miles in an AU gives us 33,908,709 miles. Divide that by 186,282 miles per second means light would take about 182 seconds to travel that distance. That amount of lag is unplayable. period. It's a nice thought though.

The perigee of the Moon is a much more reasonable 225,291 miles which would still take light 1.209 seconds to travel which is still terrible lag. And that's still just a one way trip. I guess we'll just have to stick with playing online games with people from Earth only.

f4phantom2500

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
[citation][nom]stonedatheist[/nom]Sorry to burst your bubble but people on Earth and people on Mars would not be able to play online games together. The very best case scenario is Mars is at its Perihelion at the same time the Earth is at its Aphelion and the Earth eclipses Mars. The Perihelion of Mars is 1.381497 AU and the Aphelion of Earth is 1.01671388 AU. The difference is 0.36478312 AU which multiplied by 92,955,807 miles in an AU gives us 33,908,709 miles. Divide that by 186,282 miles per second means light would take about 182 seconds to travel that distance. That amount of lag is unplayable. period. It's a nice thought though.The perigee of the Moon is a much more reasonable 225,291 miles which would still take light 1.209 seconds to travel which is still terrible lag. And that's still just a one way trip. I guess we'll just have to stick with playing online games with people from Earth only.[/citation]

You could still play turn based strategy games.

stonedatheist

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
[citation][nom]f4phantom2500[/nom]You could still play turn based strategy games.[/citation]
Good point. I rarely play them so I forgot about them. Still though, waiting at least 6 minutes for each turn would mean it would take forever to play a game. Even a game of chess would likely span a few days

dissbelief

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
[citation][nom]stonedatheist[/nom]Sorry to burst your bubble but people on Earth and people on Mars would not be able to play online games together. The very best case scenario is Mars is at its Perihelion at the same time the Earth is at its Aphelion and the Earth eclipses Mars. The Perihelion of Mars is 1.381497 AU and the Aphelion of Earth is 1.01671388 AU. The difference is 0.36478312 AU which multiplied by 92,955,807 miles in an AU gives us 33,908,709 miles. Divide that by 186,282 miles per second means light would take about 182 seconds to travel that distance. That amount of lag is unplayable. period. It's a nice thought though.The perigee of the Moon is a much more reasonable 225,291 miles which would still take light 1.209 seconds to travel which is still terrible lag. And that's still just a one way trip. I guess we'll just have to stick with playing online games with people from Earth only.[/citation]
Amen

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
no one ever landed on Mars....this is a black and white picture from somewhere in the Nevada desert....this is another one of those US hoaxes

stephenkendrick

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]no one ever landed on Mars....this is a black and white picture from somewhere in the Nevada desert....this is another one of those US hoaxes[/citation]

Wow! Number 1 AND number 2 dumbest comments in just one article. Well done both.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]stephenkendrick[/nom]Wow! Number 1 AND number 2 dumbest comments in just one article. Well done both.[/citation]
really now....GOD, please forgive the gullible ones

Status
Not open for further replies.