Mars Rover Receives AI, Thinks for Itself

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]Drac[/nom]"I have to sit here computing pi all day because Joker plugged in the overlord!"[/citation]YES![citation][nom]ravewulf[/nom]Or solar panels[/citation]
Don't be ridiculous. Solar panels are a myth.

loomis86

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
[citation][nom]maestintaolius[/nom]I would just like to go on the record as saying: I, for one, welcome our future robot overlords.[/citation]

suckup!

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Nice to see what hap[ens whenyou build something right.
Im quite impressed on the batteries that thin must have, that's a mad recharge rate.
I'm also impressed that all the materials haven't worn down to a state of worthlessness. Wish the wheels on the bike could last that long. Granted, it's cold, there's low gravity.

Honestly though, what has been N.A.S.A. been up to for the last few years?

Ciuy

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
"Sounds like there's still life in that old bucket of bolts."

That bucker of bolts is more complicated then all the PCs united under the same hood. I love this kind of advanced technology...AI ftw .

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]anamaniac[/nom]Honestly though, what has been N.A.S.A. been up to for the last few years?[/citation]

Getting shafted by our presidents, one downsize at a time. Really, people need to show more interest in this, or the only pioneers we'll have will be Cell phone and Cable/Satellite providers.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
I want to know how they got the AI working. Did they just flash the thing from earth?

"Please do not turn off your multi-million dollar space exploration rover until complete"

david__t

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2003
Just to clear up a few things, the lifespan was initially thought to be short because they expected the solar panels to be covered with dust during the Martian Winter and hence kill the only power source for the rover. In reality, the winds were powerful enough to blow the sand off the panels so the rover could go on. It is currently on a huge drive across country to get to a massive crater - where upon it can have a look at the rocks below ground level. The Spirit rover developed a broken wheel which slowed it down. Soon after, another wheel broke. Now the rover has been turned in to a static science station to monitor the weather and measure precisely the rotation and orbit of Mars. Probably one of the most impressive missions to date from Nasa.

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
unchecked AI? Communications will go down soon and by the time we get another satellite/rover to Mars there will be an entire AI society gearing up to wage war on earth

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
I hope it doesn't find life, then it would be following a butterfly for days ^_^

/sarcasm That's amazing to see that it can work without human control, and equally impressive that it's still kicking (rolling?) around on Mars' surface.

wishtar

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
[citation][nom]sliem[/nom]Yes impressive. How long do they expect it to live?[/citation]

That's the really impressive part. It was only designed to last for 3 months and here it is 6 years later. How long it will keep going is anyone's guess.

Raishi

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
[citation][nom]brendano257[/nom]I hope it doesn't find life, then it would be following a butterfly for days ^_^/sarcasm That's amazing to see that it can work without human control, and equally impressive that it's still kicking (rolling?) around on Mars' surface.[/citation]

At this point, I didn't think there was anything that could make me any more fond of that stubborn little rover, but the image of it forgetting its mission to chase a butterfly around just did it.

imapc

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
[citation][nom]shadow703793[/nom]More impressive is the actual hardware (CPU,RAM,etc) on that thing is probably lower than a PIII 500Mhz and yet, they manage to cram so much functionality in to it. Efficient coding any one?[/citation]

Yes. I believe the Hubble Telescope is running a Pentium I, upgraded from a 386. At least I remember hearing that several years ago. It got an "upgrade". :)

blashyrkh

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2007
This is a load of BS!!! You are all being misinformed by the government!!!! Everyone knows the Mars rover was destroyed by the Decepticons on the first transformers movie.

Jesus Christ people!! Use your brain!!!

...lol

Status
Not open for further replies.