Martin Jetpack Makes Flying Possible for $86,000

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
[citation][nom]alfaalex101[/nom]GDI Jump Jet Trooper![/citation]

OMG YES!!!! Now if they make a Hover M.L.R.S., that would be SICKKKK

dreamphantom_1977

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
I live 10 min from work, I'd love to fly this thing to work and back every day. What would be cool would be going paint balling with it. It'd be like playing tribes in real life. Can you imagine if the cops or the army gets these. I read about this in a popular science or a popular mechanics magazine about 4 months ago, the guy has been working on this thing for like 20 years. I thought it'd be around $200,000 at least, $86,000 is actually practical. I wouldn't be surprised at all if these things where common by 2020.

Anybody else remember the episode on Mythbusters where they disproved it? LOL

Martin = 1
Mythbusters = 0

sonic-boom

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
[citation][nom]dreamphantom_1977[/nom]I live 10 min from work, I'd love to fly this thing to work and back every day. What would be cool would be going paint balling with it. It'd be like playing tribes in real life. Can you imagine if the cops or the army gets these. I read about this in a popular science or a popular mechanics magazine about 4 months ago, the guy has been working on this thing for like 20 years. I thought it'd be around $200,000 at least, $86,000 is actually practical. I wouldn't be surprised at all if these things where common by 2020. Anybody else remember the episode on Mythbusters where they disproved it? LOL Martin = 1Mythbusters = 0[/citation]

You are missing something here. Look how big it is. What do you do with it when you get to work, put it in a parking space and tie it too a pole? Like seriously you need to carry a chain around too, at least a 10 ft one. This thing is huge and unpractical for everyday life. Theres 90grand sitting out in the parking lot with out 2 anti theft devices like your 25k Camry. This probably has a crude electric ignition that can be started in 2 mins.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
[citation][nom]adbat[/nom]30 minutes is a huge limitation. Wankel engine would give it better fuel economy + less weight - what a lost opportunity that was[/citation]
Most people don't realize, no long ago, the rocket jet packs had a flight time of only 30 secs.
Sure there is always improvement. But young people just can't understand how far we progressed..

dmwright

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
[citation][nom]Sonic-Boom[/nom]You are missing something here. Look how big it is. What do you do with it when you get to work, put it in a parking space and tie it too a pole? Like seriously you need to carry a chain around too, at least a 10 ft one. This thing is huge and unpractical for everyday life. Theres 90grand sitting out in the parking lot with out 2 anti theft devices like your 25k Camry. This probably has a crude electric ignition that can be started in 2 mins.[/citation]

I laughed when I read your comment "A 10 ft chain", Have to make sure to wrap it up so no small parts are ripped off to be sold at a flea market. (or not lol...)

As for your comment about where it's going to be parked, etc... Yes, security will be an issue, but I'm willing to bet, with the wide usage that these jetpacks will have, not to mention the "Extreme" versions they come out later, that parking space will be made. I'm guessing in a different fashion than what we have now, it could be that you land on a helipad that is placed on the side of your office, or some common meeting place where your jetpack is securely and safely moved into a parking bay.

Imagine the possibilities, you may not take off in your backyard, but it might be a local parking bay - where you make the switch between car/bike/train -> jetpack!!!!

si7entsam

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
What I want to know is why don't they combine this with the concept on a hang glider? You would use the propulsion to get up, but you could just glide from there on out. Seems like it would be more efficient and controlled. Retractable wings could make it more practical too. Anyone else think that sounds possible?

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
I don't know if it does anything useful but at least it makes a lot of noise which is obvious that's why they've replaced the real noises with music. :]

G

There's a really hot chick who lives on my street, she always invites her even hotter freinds over in the summer to sunbathe in her back yard. Man i would love to have one of these!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.