Martin Jetpack Makes Flying Possible for $86,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Rich man's toy. Even if the price drops to a mid range car. From the video doesn't look fast, and only 30 minutes. Other then to say you have one, there's not really a logical reasoning to get one.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]kingnoobe[/nom]Rich man's toy. Even if the price drops to a mid range car. From the video doesn't look fast, and only 30 minutes. Other then to say you have one, there's not really a logical reasoning to get one.[/citation]
Your joking right? This type of idea has been in the works for years and now that they finally have a publicly available version your gonna dismiss it? Wow.

10tacle

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
I'm not sure why they call it a "jetpack" because this is ducted fan technology, not rocket or jet propelled, like that true "Buck Rogers" jetpack from the 60s-70s that NASA experimented with.

In any event it looks like real fun. Imagine taking off in your back yard and buzzing your neighborhood over the trees (and watch out for power lines!). But I do know one thing - I'd hate to lose than engine at altitude because there is no gliding back to earth here.

kenwheeler77

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
This isn't a replacement for today's modern car and it's not touted to be in this article. This is a great achievement though to be able to produce and sell this publicly for less than some of the BMW & Mercedes sedans. No, most of us can't or wouldn't afford it. No, it's not very practical... yet. Makes you wonder what Jetpack v2 or v3 will be though!

frozenlead

Distinguished
I wonder if this would be any more cost/fuel efficient than driving to work (if your work is less than 30 minutes away, and it doesn't happen to be raining/snowing/reallyfreakingcold).

traesta

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
not really a jet pack ...this thing is just two leaf blowers on steroids... I want something like in the movie rocketman!!!

G

I can picture that once I graduate from high school I'd be overjoyed to get a drivers licence and a jetpack licence...

Although I think they might need use a different fuel than gasoline as by the time the jetpack is affordable gasoline will not be...

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
They will figure out something that works better. Think of this as the wright brothers first airplane. It'll get better. The only things I don't like about this design, right away, is the size and the engine and fan noise. Otherwise I think it's pretty darn cool.

akhodjaev

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
Even you can buy it, i am not sure, you cannot come with it to your work or do shopping with it.

Does this company have to go thru government to clear flying regulations.

On top of it, i live in DC and it is strictly no-fly zone. you come on this thing, they will take you down with F16.

So be prepared.

But I would consider it for the future... again to take short cut, i do not think you will be able to fly over somebodies roof.

diablocricki

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
I thinks it's awesome. If this is successful, maybe a big automaker will start producing it and that will definitely get the price in the motorcycles range. Again, I think it's a cool toy.

jonnyboyC

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
This is amazing, when i was reading it was like ok probably max hieght of 40 ft, then i scroll down 8000ft hall crap, while probably not practical at all, this may end up being at resorts as sort of like, fly a jet pack for an half and hour for $150, and that would be just amazing.

ricardok

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
Why not using an small combustion engine to power up an electrical motor??

@10tacle: nothing beats a parachute to get back down. :)

G

@akhodjaev - Put it in the same class as an ultralight aircraft. No license to fly, no flight plan to file. Yes it will still have to respect the no flyzones, but good luck tracking something this small, radar has gotten better over the years but it's not perfect and something this small might get overlooked by the control tower.

It will be the coolest thing when someone drops into the local gas station to fill it up then take off again, that day will be epic!!

will_chellam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
I bet this thing handles strong winds at altitude real well - I dont think I'd fancy that... although im dying to have a go ;)

I always really wanted one of those parachutes with the fan you strap to your back.

G

Its an amazing piece of kit to see ae, sounds pretty awesome 2. good ol inventions from canterbury new zealand ryt, stick that beside the brittan etc. been an awesome uni project for fellow engineering student for a few years now

Status
Not open for further replies.