Massive fps drops on my laptop for all games

Lyscyde

Estimable
Sep 21, 2015
So I was playing Rust on my laptop a few days ago and I had a solid 40-50 fps, and these last two days I've been getting 10-20. I have no idea why, my overclocking is exactly the same as before, computer hasn't been overheating, and I haven't installed anything. I did a malwarebytes scan and found 4 PUPs (did not search for rootkits, don't know what they are) and deleted/quarantined them, but it didn't help. Only thing I can think of is a few links I clicked on someone's account (seems they were trying to scam me out of a CSGO knife) but they were two imgur links and the other brought me to Rick Astley VEVO never gonna give you up on YouTube, so I don't think they would have gotten me a virus.

Any and all suggestions would be really helpful! Thanks!

Solution
You are not infected by a virus. Viruses usually do not lower performamce that much.

Check your overclock and dial it down to stock. Maybe the overclock on the GPU is unstable and the game switches to Integrated Graphics?

gussrtk

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012
someone with same problem like you recently just said they found nothing with malwarebytes scan.. but bitdefender found the culprit and the system was running fine again. Try another program :) it sounds like that's what you should look into more

Lyscyde

Estimable
Sep 21, 2015

Lyscyde

Estimable
Sep 21, 2015
I did a system restore to a week or two ago (well before any problems started" which didn't help at all. I will try installing that and running another scan. Hopefully it will fix it.

kgt1182

Commendable
Jun 8, 2016
You are not infected by a virus. Viruses usually do not lower performamce that much.

Check your overclock and dial it down to stock. Maybe the overclock on the GPU is unstable and the game switches to Integrated Graphics?

Solution