Maximum Resolution in 3D Gaming?

durahl

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Greetings!

I just upgraded my 6+ years old HD TV for a new UHD TV which also supports 3D Gaming/Movies using Active 3D Glasses.

Getting 3D SBS Movies to work on the TV was a huge pain in the ass but after a while I found an easy way by simply accessing them from my PC through the TV's DLNA capability which then automatically applies the correct settings for it to work.

3D Gaming on the other hand... I might be doing something wrong but is my understanding right that 3D Gaming is, regardless of the Hardware, capped at either 1920x1080 @24Hz or 1280x720 @60Hz? I've managed to get it working under these resolutions but it's kinda lacking considering the native resolution.

GPU is a nVidia GTX 780 which may not be enough to go past 1920x1080 @24Hz as I'm already experiencing stutter which is why I'm considering the purchase of a more potent GTX 980 but if the problem isn't related to the GPU but the technology or the TV then doing a GPU upgrade is obviously pointles.

Thanks in Advance =)

Eximo

Distinguished
Herald
Really depends on the TV there. Its scalar is going to be the determining factor.

That said a GTX960/GTX970/GTX980/GTX980Ti are going to support HDMI 2.0 which can handle much higher resolutions. If your TV has an HDMI 2.0 port that might give you more options. Keep in mind that despite marketing gibberish TVs are almost exclusively 60hz (120, 240 and 600 refers to the refresh rate of the elements, not the inputs) So 24 or 30Hz for 3D is going to be pretty standard.

GTX980 is a poor investment at this time. The GTX980Ti is a little more expensive, but essentially 50% more powerful.

durahl

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011

Looks like I'll first have to make sure the TV ( a SONY KD-75D9005B ) being HDMI 2.0 capable by contacting SONY as I've yet to find an official datasheet providing that information. So far I've only found vague mentioning in Expo Articles about it having HDMI 2.0.

But thanks for the information!

TRENDING THREADS