Memtest in DOS with 64-bit computer and 32-bit Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fluidstream

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013
Okay, my system is new, built 1/4/2013, with a 64-bit AMD FX-6300 Vishera in it and 16GB of RAM. Since the Windows 8 I ordered came with an invalid product key, I couldn't install Windows 8, so on 1/7/2013 I decided to install WinXP Home SP3 (32-bit) Slipstream. I need to run memtest to see if the memory is bad. Does DOS have 32-bit and 64-bit versions? Some sites say to run use install64.bat to create your floppy disk if you're on a 64-bit platform. Well, I have 64-bit hardware and 32-bit Windows. It would be nice to test all 16GB. My four DIMMs are each 4GB. If Memtest is restricted to the same limitations as Windows for recognizing memory, I may not even be able to test a whole stick.

What gives?

Solution
There's no 32 bit of memtest. Memtest doesn't run on Dos. Hell, it has nothing to do with dos. It will be able to test all your memory.

Fluidstream

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013

Thanks, but I know I don't need to install DOS. I use the command prompt semi-regularly and I was using DOS before I used Windows 3.11. I was asking if DOS itself is designated with a 32-bit version and a 64-bit version these days. I have 64-bit hardware, but since the only GUI operating system on my system is Windows XP 32-bit, I didn't know if that limited the execution of memtest to only the 32-bit version or if I could use the 64-bit version since I do have a 64-bit CPU. I have 16GB of RAM, too, so I didn't even know if the 32-bit memtest would be able to test all 16GB of RAM. I guess that's the simpler question. Will the 32-bit Memtest test 16GB of RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.