Metal Loop Under Keyboard Key Broke Off - HELP!

SapphireFaery

Honorable
Jul 1, 2012
Hi! I'm really hoping that someone here can help me or at least point me in the right direction... My dad let me borrow his laptop and my daughter has plucked 3 keys off of it. I've been trying desperately to find a video or instructions for this specific model so I could fix them. However, I'm not finding anything. Its an ACER Aspire 7741Z-4815 laptop. I managed to get the ]} key back on however I cannot get the Enter key to sit flat. In the process of trying to push the \| key back into place I BENT the metal loop that was under the key. I was in the process of straightening it back into place with tweezers when my daughter decided it was the perfect time to leap onto my back... and yeah, you guessed it the loop broke right off! Is there any way possible to fix this? Will I need to have his entire keyboard replaced or can just that one spot be repaired? I'm freaking out over here so any help would be so greatly appreciated! Thank you!

kajabla

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
Sounds like time to call Acer up and see what they have to say. Is this thing still under warranty?

Freaking out will do you no good. Here's something I look at when I'm feeling down (it's my desktop, actually, and you can get it here):
01940_morainelake_1280x720.jpg

SapphireFaery

Honorable
Jul 1, 2012
I've emailed them to see if there's anything I can do. But, according to their site if there's an issue with something being damaged or broken on the keyboard they'll make arrangements for you to have it fixed because its not something thats user replaceable. I have no idea if its still under warranty. I'm thinking probably not because its been close to three years since he got it. I know freaking out isn't helping but he's going to be furious! :/ I'm supposed to give it back to him in just a couple of days and now this...

The picture you attached isn't loading and the link wouldn't load either?

SapphireFaery

Honorable
Jul 1, 2012
That one worked. Yes, the enter key is still working but not sitting flat and is hard to press down. Have to press it down at an angle in order for it to work. The other two keys work but one isn't attached and the other looks slightly crooked...

The1stWan

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
replacement keyboard will cost around £20 in the uk or around $30 in the us give or take. only if you can do it yourself. and other cheap option is external usb keyboard which is normally used for the pc. it should be plug and play.
hope this will sovle your problem.