Mic has suddenly stopped working

PandaChef

Honorable
Jan 12, 2014
Hey, my mic suddenly stopped working on my headset but the headphones worked fine. I tried it on a laptop and I got the same result. So I bought a new headset and it was the same for it also, the mic wouldnt work but the headphones do and it was the same on the laptop.

I broke my front mic slot like 2 years ago after my headset fell to the ground so I was using the slot round the back. I was praying it wasn't the back slot was now broken too, which I think it might be. Is there any way to fix it? But then I don't understand why neither mics would work on my other laptops, as it's unlikely both their mic slots were broken too?
Thanks

PandaChef

Honorable
Jan 12, 2014
I think my original headset has just broke and the new one I bought came with a fault mic? I just used it on my old PC, and again the mic didnt work but the headphones did. I am going to head to a computer shop tomorrow and ask them to test it on their PC and then decide from then.

PandaChef

Honorable
Jan 12, 2014
So the PC shop indeed confirmed both mics were broken, so now I will send back the headset which I bought and ebuyer will replace it. However it will take some time which is annoying.

Is it possible that a sound card could break microphones?