Solved! Microphone Aux broken

suraj.saj

Estimable
Sep 22, 2017
Hello all.

I built a desktop a good long while ago with some greatly appreciated help from this forum - been running smoothly for over 5 years and still is.

Except for one thing. I recently wanted to use a Steelseries arctics 3 console headset. Which requires a headphone and microphone jack. My desktop has separate headphone/microphone ports rarther than a combined one.

Unfortunately, when I plugged in the headset to test the mic quality it seemed to be very broken. I got a squealing sound and alot of static (see link below - hopefully doesn't break forum rules)

Looking for solutions I made sure any drivers etc were up to date, on device management ensured the input/output was correctly set up, cleaned the port, tried the front and back ports. No luck.

To ensure it wasn't a faulty headset I tried them in two other devices (ipad and laptop). The mic worked fine in both using the mic aux port.

Note I double checked i am putting it in the right port.

Seems that the port is broken.

Since I built the pc I lost all vision in my right eye and a fair bit in my left, so hunting around for solutions is a tad harder which is why I am hoping I can get some assistance here that doesn't require soldering or anything more intricate than buying new parts and fitting them.

My question is - what do I need to buy and replace on the desktop to fix the issue? Is it possible to by a new port only? The entire motherboard needs changing? Front panel needs replacing?

I have forgotten most of what went where and connected to what.

This is the port I mean - https://ibb.co/8cLVhQX

This is the problem with the sound - https://www.dropbox.com/s/1tuaunrgwq0xkvj/Example.wav?dl=0

The build - https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/wcBCnQ

Would be grateful for any assistance.

Solution
Yes it's possible, easy to check, open it and look at the connectors. But could just as easy simply be a bad jack if it's only the front has the issue and the motherboard connection works fine. What it gets connected to from the case to motherboard depends on the motherboard, but yes it should be labeled as the audio header.
Did you check the motherboard audio jack as well? Did you make sure the adapter that splits the headphone and mic into the computer is connected tightly? Past that, if there is an issue with the mic in on both front and rear (maybe wired to the motherboard wrong?) you can get an add-on sound card for about $40, ASUS Xonar is pretty good for the price.

Last edited:

suraj.saj

Estimable
Sep 22, 2017
Did you check the motherboard audio jack as well? Did you make sure the adapter that splits the headphone and mic into the computer is connected tightly? Past that, if there is an issue with the mic in on both front and rear (maybe wired to the motherboard wrong?) you can get an add-on sound card for about $40, ASUS Xonar is pretty good for the price.

Yup. I tried the jack in the back and both times fit nicely.

Is it possible that the wires that were already in the case upon purchase (ie the power/reset/hdd audio etc) are connected incorrectly.

I believe I connected the HDD audio to the slot labelled audio. Is that correct?

Yes it's possible, easy to check, open it and look at the connectors. But could just as easy simply be a bad jack if it's only the front has the issue and the motherboard connection works fine. What it gets connected to from the case to motherboard depends on the motherboard, but yes it should be labeled as the audio header.

Solution