Microsoft Announces Anti-Piracy Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
It should not be: "We'll make piracy easy, but slap you with massive fines when you do it"
It SHOULD BE: "We'll make it harder to pirate software so it's not so proliferated"

Really don't expect to complain about people doing it when you won't even fight it in your software,you just try and catch the people and put them in court.

theubersmurf

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
I don't usually take an attitude like this, but the rich b-tards can take care of it themselves. Seriously, unless they start paying me to be pro active with regards to this or concerned at all, they can shove it up their red hot glowing asses. Declaring a holiday is so arrogant and condescending to anyone not on the payroll there...They're not getting the money they need so the prices go up, they can shove it up their...once again.

I apologize in the same breath for these comments, but I really can't feel anything other than condescended to by a group of rich jackals upon hearing of their declaration. I've never had the leisure of paying a good price for software, since I always pay a premium price, provided it's not free to begin with. Honestly it isn't you they're concerned about, it's their own companies earnings.

LkS

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
"Bill and the Gang"? Have you been living under a rock? Bill Gates isn't at MS anymore.

"it’s only a matter of time before companies figure out the sweet spot and thwart pirates altogether." No, there will always be some piracy. It's just how the world is.

cruiseoveride

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006
"Software piracy and counterfeiting is a sophisticated, global trade with a damaging impact on consumers, businesses and economies"
damaging? how so? I see no damage to that lot. Maybe damage to Microsoft's bank account. But thats ok, 1 less Microsoft in the world. The better.

Pirates! you make Microsoft bigger, more popular, and more entangled into society by providing their software for free. You make innocent people dependent on crappy proprietary software. The novelty of having an expensive thing for free will always exist among "poor" people.

Humans in general are naive, "If its free, it cant be any good"; and conversely "OMG! thats $300 in the store, i'm getting it for free!!! wikid!!!"

Microsoft will always make money from its Server & Tools division. Using licenses and contracts. Piracy can never be a threat to them with the current infrastructure in place for software deployment.

Microsoft is being squeezed by Vista, and wants to milk every last bit out of their value chain.

Piracy is a solution to a problem people want.

Please use free software and stop piracy.

Ubuntu/Fedora/Suse, try a linux distro today!

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
How about an anti-greedy corporation day? And I'm surprised Tom's is naive enough to suggest that Microsoft is out to protect the consumer. The facts and figures they throw around are misleading and just make me mad. These companies are raking in huge profits and really their only threat is free open source alternatives.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
You know I think its out right hilarious that out of those who claim to be affected by piracy Microsoft is certainly the one with the least amount of worries and should be the last one to rally behind this never mind create it.

If Microsoft is seriously not happy with its profits then I think its clear that human greed has no limits.

the_one111

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
[citation][nom]cruiseoveride[/nom][/citation]

Just plain stupid. All i gotta say.

You aren't just stealing from a ceo when you pirate your stealing from the world.

DRM=fail. Pirateing=fail epicly. Get it right before you post.

noobe1981

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
Lmao @ protecting consumers... Microsoft is just greedy hungry rich bastards. If there were no pirates the prices wouldn't drop one freaking bit and microsoft knows it. So how is this also "protecting the consumer".

Game companys actually have a leg to stand on, but I'm sick and tired of these idiots only saying pc's. I know plenty of people with modded consoles, and now are just as easy to pirate as any pc game.

Back to microsoft I hope they go to far. And piss people off to go to linux, and os like that. So just maybe more games will start supporting them also.

Yes, piracy is wrong. But these big corporations need to get off their high horse. Specially microsoft for reasons I won't go into. Micrsoft is simply throwing stones out of a glass house, and are getting pissed because some people throw stones right back at them.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
i think, the focus of the piracy campaign is for large organizations making money out of piracy including businesses using pirated software.
everyone knows that corporate microsoft is growing yearly, they only lose the maximum potential profit.

David Gerard

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
"Global Anti-Piracy Day" is rather tasteless and offensive of Microsoft, given the actual robbery and murder at sea currently in the news off the coast of Somalia. Copying that floppy is hardly comparable. Offensive idiots.

My blog rant: http://tinyurl.com/5rt664

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
I don't even condone software piracy, but something about Microsoft having their own "holiday" dedicated to it really rubs me the wrong way.

Also, "...it’s only a matter of time before companies figure out the sweet spot and thwart pirates altogether." Suuuuuuuuuuure.

timaahhh

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
Piracy extends far beyond Microsoft. It's one of the reasons we are seeing fewer PC games and less support by publishers for PC games. Piracy gives the PC a bad rap to Producers who then give developers fewer freedoms.

People say SecureRom doesn't really hurt piracy it only hurts those that actually buy the game. If that truly is the case we are going to see yet another drop in PC gaming support.

Yea it is true that there are some in the console world that install mod chips and pirate games, I know a few. There are only a few people who don't have pirated PC games. Almost every gamer I know has at least one pirated PC game.

There is almost no way piracy can kill Microsoft. On the gaming end piracy likely doesn't hurt Microsofts bottom line. All the bad press about lawsuits end the end will prollly do more harm then good for em. I would like to have the PC industry a little closer to what it used to be. I am glad they are trying.

Status
Not open for further replies.