Microsoft Backpedals, Covers E74 Error

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
I must say that for sure MS has spent a TON of money on making this right for their customers. I am not the biggest fan of MS, but I am glad to see them back track and take care of this problem as well. It's a shame that they released such a flawed piece of hardware, but you must give props where they are due.

theJ

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
[citation][nom]t_wilson[/nom]It seems that the X360 is made with the cheapest parts Micro$oft could find.[/citation]

While true, what did you expect? They're trying to turn a profit selling a high tech gaming machine for $400. The cheap parts only cost more than that, i'm sure. If they had put high quality parts in, they would have had to retail the machines for $600 or more.

I own a 360 and have had to send it in once. But even though i sent it in around Christmas time, it was still returned in a couple of weeks (half of that travel time because of FedEx) and it works like new.

That being said, MS probably should have tested these consoles more strenuously. I'm sure the next console they put on the market will be of much higher quality, even if it means it has to retail at a higher value.

johnnyq1233

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
Personally I look at MS and their operating systems...which suck anyways!
Then I look at the trashbox 360 and say to myself....if they can't even make a decent operating system how are they going to make a gaming system?
And sure as shit, they can't make either!!!
Too bad they don't offer any refund/replacements on their operating systems....lol

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
johnnyq1233- Your fanboy is showing

Insult nicknames is the telltale sign of a fanboy.

Anyway glad to see MS taking care of this though noone can say they're doing this out of the goodness of their heart. Obviously they don't need anymore bad press.

I realize they rushed out the door to get the jump on the PS3, and it's a gamble that worked, however it is costing them with these repairs and consumer confidence. And we the gamers pay the price by having to without our trashbox, or wreckbox or sexbox or whatever you want to call it for a few weeks. My only hope is that someone in accounting is tallying up these repair costs. I can at least hope they learned the lesson, but loosing money tends to help people learn lessons much quicker.

E7130

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Stupid thing posted before I was finished. Anyways, I have an elite and haven't used it much. I bet by the time I get the RROD or E74 my warranty will be up anyways.

scryer_360

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
I've had to send in my Xbox 360 for RRoD, I've had to replace my cooling fans twice, installed new 80mm fans to the top of the Xbox (drilling holes through the top) to get proper cooling, then when the motherboard finally died I had to swap it out with another one from an Xbox 360 that had a dead DVD drive ( it didn't spin). Boy was that fun.

First: replace the motherboard with the old one. The old one needed the new heatsinks to make it work, so that was loads of fun getting those off the new one and onto the old one. Then I had to swap the PCB off the broken DVD drive into the new DVD drive so it'd accept games (the PCB, again, wasn't the problem, the motor was). Then I had to take back off the heatsink for new thermal paste. RAWR.

And it's got four rings again. Sigh, time to reinstall the 80nm fans.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
I can easily do with out the 360, It may have a handful of games my PS3 doesn't
have right now, but at least it doesn't make a shit load of noise and overheat and
display the three Rings of Death like the 360 does. And i can play bluray disc's on
my High def Tv, which you can''t do on a 360. I went to walmart the other day and
was looking at the titles for each system and i saw alot of the same, and while i was
looking at the games i seen the 360 sitting there flashing the three rings of death. At
first i was surprised that they would let it sit there and do that, but then i realized that's
what the real product does, so why not display it.

Status
Not open for further replies.