Microsoft Confirms No New Xbox in 2012

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soccerdocks

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
[citation][nom]dickcheney[/nom]Thus a console pumps out 11.1% of what my PC does. Or, my PC is 9x faster than a Xbox.[/citation]

And that doesn't even factor in the quality difference. I would guess that you have higher graphics settings on the PC than are on the consol. Thus your computer is more than 9 times faster than an Xbox.

iceman1992

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
[citation][nom]Dandalf[/nom]Thing that annoys me about consoles is how the hardware that's decided for them, basically decides the quality of games us PC gamers will see. Has anyone else noticed how games graphics advanced to a point... then simply stopped? Look at CoD. Does MW3 look better than MW2? They look the same. [/citation]
actually MW3 looks pretty much the same as MW. 4 years between them, not much has changed. sad

thefiend1

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
[citation][nom]jairus24[/nom]I'll stick to my gaming desktop, it's way much better than the current generation consoles.[/citation]

Yea but can you play xbox games on it? No? Yea fuck you.

theconsolegamer

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
[citation][nom]thefiend1[/nom]Yea but can you play xbox games on it? No? Yea fuck you.[/citation]
Don't be so sensitive my console fellow. Yes, they can play Xbox games on their PC just fine. If your talking about Xbox 360 EXCLUSIVE games then no but what are those really? Halo? Shattered Horizon RAPES Halo. Forza? iRacing RAPES Forza my friend. Gears is the only good one but even then PC has so many games that no one will miss it.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
The PS3's graphics card is often compared to a 7900GT, but if you look at it's specifications closely, it has a lot more in common with a 6600GT. Which was significantly slower.

I don't like synthetics that much, but it will help put it in perspective a little better:
5850: 2,530
8800GT: 947
6600 GT: 247

The percentage increase from 247 to 2530 is roughly: 924%, so I can say "My PC has a graphics card that is 924% faster than the one in my PS3", and it would be an accurate statement.

G

@fulle...nope buddy,even the wii have better graphics than that(6600).7800gtx or 7900gt when using the synergestic processor...or W.E it is called...

Skippy27

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
You hardware clowns and your comparisons are so silly.

Why don't you clowns wait until the final specs are solidified and announced instead of running around here with your big floppy shoes looking foolish making predictions on things you know absolutely nothing about.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Yes, consoles are better optimized, and data is offloaded onto the "synergistic processor", like the Cell or the Xbox's 3 core Xenon. But, I was strictly talking about raw performance of the GPU.

It's a bit harder for me to put up performance comparisons on the CPUs, since finding desktop equivalents is a bit of a problem.

I'll bit anyway, though, and suggest that the CPU performance is ALSO quite terrible.

The Cell processor in the PS3 has 241,000,000 transistors, and would be comparable to dual core Core2Duos, that racked in at around 291,000,000 transistors.

The average "modern" Quad core desktop CPU would have roughly a Billion transistors, and have undergone several architecture improvements since 2006. It's reasonable to assume that the Cell processor, would have less than 25% of the performance of a modern quad core CPU.

That also goes to show just how badly PC games are optimized. If you look at the numbers, it's pretty pathetic.

G

It seems like a millenium of advancements have taken place with CPU's and GPU's since I had a core 2 duo E8400 and an 8800GT and it was sick how fast that computer was. It's still a hell of a computer if you ask me but probably a large part of that is just nostalgia on my part rather than fact.

okibrian

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
[citation][nom]dickcheney[/nom]Well, a rift is starting to take place. Hopefully we can get some PC exclusive titles from devs bored with the current gen consoles limitations.
Its funny to look back at my GPU ownership history...8800GT -> GTX 9800 -> GTX 260 -> GTX 470 -> GTX 580Meanwhile in console land. 8800GT.... still 8800GT[/citation]
Oh yeah, well mine is still bigger. :D

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]thefiend1[/nom]Yea but can you play xbox games on it? No? Yea fuck you.[/citation]

Windows 8 might change that :p Besides, as mentioned above, don't care... Halo, GoW and a couple of other things aren't worth sacrificing all advantages of PC gaming. In fact, no game is worth it :) The only game that'd make me get an Xbox would be Mass Effect - bless Demiurge Studios for porting ME1 to Windows.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]Just means my pc will be another few light years ahead of it by the time one does release. My PC now already owns both consoles put together many times over...2700k @5ghz16Gb ddr32 x GTX 580s 3gb versions in SLI @ 2560 x 1600 res...BF3 all Ultra settings 90fps = ownage.[/citation]

Thank you very much, I think that all Tom's Hardware/Guide regulars have learned your PC's specs by heart now due to you posting them in every article. Oh wait... you keep changing them... sometimes you have a 2600K (and if you DID upgrade to 2700K, that was a dumb move), sometimes one 580, sometimes two, sometimes a 6970 Crossfire... nah, I don't believe your crap anymore.

G

The best way is that the use 2 x hd7970 this will help the console but i think the prices will be to high for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.