Microsoft Confirms Xbox One Will Function Without Kinect

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IAmVortigaunt

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
@kartu

@IAmVortigaunt ,

except...
1) Umm, no the PS3 did not have this. Yes, it had the ability to turn on your other devices, but no, it did not have a built in TV program guide to control your cable box and no it did not have voice navigation. So you still needed your device remotes to actually operate the things that it turned on. Nice try, though. As for the NSA comment, prove it. You can monitor all traffic sent out on your network. See what it's collecting.
2) No it's not, but for those that like their exclusives, it's a reason to buy the console. Duh.
3) Sure...except those of us that play Live on 360 right now know that it's a high quality experience, and the features they've shown look pretty good, like matchmaking in the background, for example. Plus, they've turned their server count up to 11.

4) Are you paying attention? Obviously, they're not offloading time critical calculations. The things they've mentioned don't require updating at every frame, but will take some load off the console. We'll just have to see how it pans out.
5) LOLOLOL. Sure, there's a group of people that grew up with dualshock that are used to it, but the 360 controller is fairly widely regarded as nearly perfect. The xb1 controller fixes the d-pad, which is pretty much the only complaint. Meanwhile, dual shock is an ergonomic nightmare for adult hands and the "triggers" they copied from 360 are lame...not to mention that shooters don't even use them for firing. Oh and the analog sticks are a train wreck.
6) Blah, Blah, Blah - sure, you need gold for this, but it's not that expensive and something you buy anyway for online gaming. I guess if you're looking to buy something JUST for Netflix, you should probably not get an xb1...you should probably get something cheap like a roku. I guess that leaves those that don't want online play, but do want Netflix. Ok, maybe they should get a ps3 if that's their main concern. I'll stick with xbox.

theco0n

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
Hope they do not remove the Kinect to make a cheaper variant of the Xbox One. The fact that every console comes with will allow developers to try new things with the games they're creating where as the PS4 has the same'ol boring game play. For those so paranoid about NSA spying its not just Microsoft leaking data. Google is much worse and the solution is stop using the internet if you're so worried.

joneb

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
I cant believe the blind little sheep who are blasting Microsoft for being upfront and listening to the public and making changes whilst Sony came out admitting they were manipulating the situation with Microsoft. Just goes to show some people don't even know when they are just pawns as in Sonys corporate and commercial gameplay. Makes me sad as this also shows the truth doesn't pay. Its the price for the selfish and stupid world we live in today. I will laugh my head off if after everyone buys PS4 Sony then go and change the rules or introduce drm and there will be nothing you can do as it will be in the small writing you agree to.

joneb

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
For most of you who put down the innovation of Kinect saying it will be a spy tool. You can easily monitor any device thats electronic with just a cheap usb tuner and free software. Also if the freaking camera and sensors have a plastic cover over them they wont be collecting much if any information.You will know right away then if after you have turned the kinect off if X-Box still is using it. Im pretty sure it wont be.

ubercake

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
This is the same way the 360 works today. You can use the controller. You can use the Kinect. Not too exciting.

Either way, I hope one of these units stays silent when watching DVDs or streaming media. I have a standalone Blu-ray player on one television that doesn't produce any fan noise when watching a DVD, but why does my PS3 on another television playing a DVD sound like a blow dryer even though it's sitting on top of the entertainment center? It's been that way since day one. I don't want to hear the console's fan blowing when I'm watching the quiet parts of a movie. Cooling solutions in these units are going to be key if they truly want to be entertainment systems.

XBOX One already has more launch titles than the PS4. The PS4 has a camera, but for $60 extra, it only has the same functionality you'd get from your laptop's camera and mike. No control capabilities.

The graphics will be better on the PS4 and that's to be expected with a next-gen console, but Sony's providing no real innovation with their next gen. It's just a better PS3.

On the other hand, MS is expanding Kinect functionality as well as integration with cable providers, not to mention PIP-like capabilities by which you can watch movies while browsing the internet and other multi-task funtionality. And this is in addition to being a better XBOX 360.

mynith

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
"You won't be able to use any feature that explicitly uses Kinect"

So basically, you can turn it on, realize it's useless because almost every feature uses it, and turn it off again. That's how I bet it's going to work. No thanks, I'll buy something else.

Eric Koston

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
As someone discussed earlier concerning Makerbot, I do not understand where you noticed that information, be sure you verify... <a href="http://www.3dprinter2014.com/top">Replicator</a>

Eric Koston

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
As someone discussed earlier concerning Makerbot, I do not understand where you noticed that information, be sure you verify.. <a href="http://www.3dprinter2014.com/top">Replicator at bottom part</a>

Status
Not open for further replies.