Microsoft Discontinuing Games for Windows LIVE Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

HEXiT

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
so what they gonna do with the unspent points after the closing date? if they dont refund there customers they could stand to be accused of theft.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
So... in essence... the "Games for Windows LIVE Marketplace" isn't disappearing forever, it is just being pulled back to be relaunched at a later date after some improvements (and hopefully a shorter name) to compete with the likes of Origin and Steam.

Whelp... good luck. Two online stores is already annoying to deal with enough (lets just say that EA is lucky I really like Battlefield)... definitely don't want to have to deal with THREE stores.

Then again, I could see it being very helpful for those future Xbox One owners as long as Microsoft tightly integrates the stores between the two platforms. I could see Xbox owners buying content on PC and then downloading it on their PC or on their Xbox at a later date.

unksol

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
Way to read the article.....

"The next time you initiate a purchase or redeem a Microsoft Points card or code on your console with your Microsoft account, we’ll add an amount of currency equal to or greater than the Marketplace value of your Microsoft Points to your account. You can then use the currency in your Microsoft account to buy a variety of Xbox content from your favorite Xbox stores, and if you have a Windows Phone 8 device, content from the Windows Phone Store."

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
gfwl has had multiple rebirths over the past few years... i can't say i liked it very much. the problem with it was it was mostly console centric.

if they want to succeed, they will have to learn to play nice with steam. that is the only way they are guaranteed success. there are too many pc gamers that don't want to stray away from steam, myself included.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
the best possible way would be to make the gfwl login optional, not mandatory. and logging in and out of gfwl should not affect your save game. it should not feel intrusive. in fact, logging in should just be a click of the mouse if anything at all. games should be playable as they install, always be prepared to avoid server issues, and make it available offline. a huge plus would be the ability to somehow connect your steam library to it. in fact, that would be a massive plus.

echozero

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013
dragonfang18 .. I dunno about your view with steam, however you probably better off buying fallout 3 game of year edition during Steam sale. Last year I had same problem. I only had Fallout 3 CE and broken steel DLC Disk, however I end up purchase game of year editions on steam because I found out I would end up pay more if I purchase DLCs from windows market.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Blah... just another microsoft failure on top of another microsoft failure.

Yeah... if MS really gave a shit about PC gamers, then Xbox360 titles would have been on PC. But who needs a PC when games are built for consoles so that when you play most titles on your $600 video card, it looks no better than an 8 year old console!

It will be the same with Xbone as well... BUY OUR HARDWARE... how long before MS buys Dell?

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Snip off the word "games" at the end of the title, and then I would be interested.

GFWL is awful, unless it improved a lot in how it handles going online and storing your savegames within the last 2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS