Microsoft: Hardcore Kinect Games in 18 Months

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
[citation][nom]Boxa786[/nom]I can see this really kicking off if they manage to first get all the kiddy titles out just before xmas. Plans would be to release kinext now, build a hype, then release all the xmas titles in time for xmas. This could be the wii killer.[/citation]
I hope you work for Microsoft and aren't that insane to believe that. Unless you think 360 is going to double its sales number with this. Not to mention it's pretty much designed to only play casual games. It's a glorified EyeToy and will be just as popular or less popular than that was.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
[citation][nom]welshmousepk[/nom] Its not aimed at you, its aimed at the wii gamers who have outgrown the old hardware, and want something deeper. but who still are not 'hardcore' gamers.[/citation]

Those kinds of "gamers" buy an iPod touch and download "apps", or they trick grandma into buying MW2 for them. The kinect has no defined genre that will want it purely so they can play games. It's either a "i have more money than common sence" novelty, or will be bought by a parent with hopes that their kid will play some "game" with them, one that involves rubbing a tiger...

rohitbaran

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
My god! They want to drag on with the 5 year old Xbox 360 for 2-3 more years? (Considering 18 months for the arrival of games, they would probably launch more for another year or so).

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Looks like I won't be buying a XBOX 360 with Kinect for another 18 months then. Until then, there's always PC games and kiddie games w/ my Wii.

SpadeM

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
I'm actually more interested in the instruction manual. I mean if it looks anywhere close to this one it might be a hit!
http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2010/07/22/how-to-use-kinect/

tulx

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]AlexTheBlue[/nom]At least that means developers aren't abandoning traditional control schemes any time soon, at least for hardcore games. You should use motion controls where it makes sense, instead of trying to fudge motion controls in for EVERYTHING, like some Wii titles.[/citation]

That is EXACTLY what Chris Lewis said in the article.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
You people seem to lack common sense. MS now is going for all the fans of the wii and there are plenty of them. To say they fail shows your lack of business sense at least until it comes out. If it flops then they fail if it's a hit like the wii was they win wither you like it or not makes no differnce.

nologo

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
[citation][nom]bangtime[/nom]what's the problem with kinect? i think it's pimp to control the xbox with jedi gestures and voice commands. I do a lot of netflix and watch a lot of movies from my computer via xbox with windows media player.[/citation]

you would pay £120 to wave your hands to start/stop a dvd?are you on drugs?you would get bored of it after 5mins/or all your friends have seen how "cool" it is..and switch back to a controller.

swamprat

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
[citation][nom]dragonsqrrl[/nom]Does he mean 18 months from now, or 18 months from the Kinect release date? Either way that's going to be around the first quarter of 2012, and it's not going to leave much time before the next generation consoles start picking up steam. Given these games will be targeting the "hardcore" crowd, it may be too late for the XBox360 Kinect strategy to really work for this demographic.[/citation]
Assuming both Kinect and Xbox360 games work on the next generation of the Xbox that doesn't seem too daft. Maybe more horsepower from a new generation would also help ensure there's no lag; plus combining the whole thing with 3D might make it more involving.

Despite it making a slight mockery of the 'controller-less' system, having a wireless gun device would probably work quite well if they want to have a first person shooter - for a start it prevents there having to be a very sensitive movement detector for the trigger finger. Bung an analogue stick on the back of the gun for thumb controlled movement (or somewhere else) and you solve that one - whether it'd be more or less effective than a similar thing without kinect, who knows until someone tries it. Encouraging people to dive around their living room to avoid things as a last resort would be quite funny, even if just for other people to watch.

nologo

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
[citation][nom]kingnoobe[/nom]You people seem to lack common sense. MS now is going for all the fans of the wii and there are plenty of them. To say they fail shows your lack of business sense at least until it comes out. If it flops then they fail if it's a hit like the wii was they win wither you like it or not makes no differnce.[/citation]

no you fail. families/kids who own a Wii are not going to part with £250 on a new console just to play games that are like the ones on wii.

nologo

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
[citation][nom]Mark Heath[/nom]I still like the idea of squad FPS games where you give commands using your hands, just like you would in real life.[/citation]
sounds crap tbh lol. what squads do you know who only use hands?an army of deaf sign language assassins?

miloo

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
18 months, hmmm interesting
probably Nintendo had come up something new after 18 months, I bet the kinect will end up something like the "HD DVD rom" 20 bucks mate

149hmmm good luck MS

sneaky jedi

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
[citation][nom]nologo[/nom]no you fail. families/kids who own a Wii are not going to part with £250 on a new console just to play games that are like the ones on wii.[/citation]

This. Unless kinect rolls something out that kicks wii sports bowling's ass it's not going to draw the casual except the upper middle/ upper class who have the money to throw away at it and possibly the few casuals who dont already have a wii.

a-a-a

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2010
If they don't plan to have anything more than Lego's for Kinect at release, then I don't see the need to put my money into it. They have to win my money over, I'm not going to purchase a product and then hope they get it right. We as consumers have been burned too many times in the idea that these companies have a clue as to what we the consumer like.

G

well it is December 1st and Kinect is outselling what the WII did when it was first released, so all you that were hoping for failure have failed

Status
Not open for further replies.