Microsoft May Open Retail Stores Soon

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nelson_nel

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
Microsoft, in a way, does need to do something like this in as much as it needs to step up it's game against Apple. The problem is Microsoft is more professional than Apple so they are really targetting different audiences and it's hard to go after the emo kid who thinks his videos are actually important and still concentrate on the business end of things. I almost wish they would create a seperate division under a different identity that doesn't necessarily mainly brand Microsoft to target these individuals because it is a ripe market but it's almost detrimental to try and say Microsoft is "hip". Microsoft has done better because it has concentrated on something else for so long. Something new is needed but not necessarily by tying its identity to MS. Just my thoughts on this...

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Microsoft is more professional??? Errr...how is that?

What good products?

Yes Microsoft has tried and failed to move into embedded products, but their OS is so hokey and full of problems and bloated code that they can't make it work.

The biggest difference between Apple and Microsoft is simple:

Apple - designed in california, made in china
Microsoft - designed in India, made in Tawain

Steve Ballmer has NO creative thoughts, he's consumed with ONE and only ONE goal -- how to make as much money as he can from leverage. Now that Microsoft's leverage is slowly but surely erroding, they're panic mode. As I said before this is NOT the first time Microsoft opened retail stores -- they did it before, it was a disaster. But it appears most of you folks just were around then.

And what makes you think you can bring any PC to a Microsoft store and say "Fix it" (this is Microsoft, not Apple)? They'll fix it AFTER you sign a $2000/yr support contract.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
I think this is a good idea, not everyone is tech oriented like us. This will allow John Doe to b like “hmmm, I need to get office 07… lets head to the MS Store” OR “ I need an X-box … lets head to the MS Store” You never know, people may snag a keyboard or some other software while shopping.

If this venture breaks even then they win just from getting there name out there. . Perhaps MS can sell a few Zune’s too, which has 1 major advantage to Ipod, no stinking Itunes needed! Displaying your product can also be a huge advantage… I am certain if more people saw Vista running on a proper machine they would like it. If people saw ZUNE in action they may consider it.

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
i looked at a zune, but i ended up with ipod, i would have liked to get something else but the ipod is good. sure retail store may sway some sales, but wouldn't it be better for microsoft to improve their product than increase sales by having some sales person sell some customer on it.

mystvearn

Distinguished
May 30, 2004
They have a good amount of hardware now. And its quite nice too. So I don't see why they cannot do what Apple has done for years now

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
[citation][nom]mystvearn[/nom]They have a good amount of hardware now. And its quite nice too. So I don't see why they cannot do what Apple has done for years now[/citation]

i've purchased quite a bit of it. own a number of their keyboards and mouse, ect. i just don't see the point, i like best buys or amazon or newegg, ect. large selection, choice, discounted prices. i just dont see what ms store would add, they most likely will have higher prices, people who will push their products, ect... apple needed a store in some places because other stores could not sell their stuff because of how apple does things, limits who would sell their stuff, but microsoft stuff is available all over the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.