Microsoft: Natal Does Work in Small Living Rooms

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]It was something we were discussing in yesterday's article. Typically, houses in North America are a lot roomier. From my own experience (have lived in Ireland, the UK, and Canada and spent time in the US also), living rooms in the US are just plain bigger.[/citation]

Must sound like I'm arguing the toss on the subject; my bad.

Luckily for MS, they've not designed it just for the larger person, erm, I mean living space. ;)

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
This is exactly what I (and a couple of others) stated in response the first news article on this. People were confusing the maximum range of detection with the minimum. The source quote was fairly clear to me, it's just that some journalist misinterpreted it. An objective reader could have deduced this just by reading the quote. If people cannot see through such an obvious misinterpretation like this, then what hope is there for us?

Jack-o

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
Meh, I don't plan on buying this. I don't feel like running around in my living room like a crazy person. I want to sit in my chair in my room, pick up my controller, and scream like a crazy person. Screw this running stuff, lol. I mean, there's a reason they haven't shown FPS examples of this, because it's very likely not going to be able to used on almost any decent FPS. (Teabagging would just get too real man, 'nough said.)

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]husker[/nom]The source quote was fairly clear to me, it's just that some journalist misinterpreted it.[/citation]But that's what makes news interesting! Well, sometimes... ;)
[citation][nom]husker[/nom]An objective reader could have deduced this just by reading the quote. If people cannot see through such an obvious misinterpretation like this, then what hope is there for us?[/citation]Who said the intarweb was a land of hope? :p Seriously though, this is far from the first time the readers have to be the voice of reason, sometimes it's easy to detect false information (*cough* win7 memory usage *cough*), aometimes it's not. Like the TechFlash article - in its //original form//, if all you read was the TF article it leaves little room for interpretation.

It only really bugs me when there's no correction posted. Thankfully Tom's Guide usually posts retractions. Jane certainly seems to have that part down solid, plus she's NOT an egotrip censormonger. Also she doesn't seem to have a strong bias in her writing. Basically she's OK in my book, and this article was both necessary and reassuring.

Oh, and obviously she reads and cares about what we post.

Status
Not open for further replies.