Microsoft: No Natal Support for Older Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
I knew Microsoft was full of shit when they said it would support older games, but everyone ate it up and believed it, just like they believe it's anything more than an upgraded EyeToy.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
[citation][nom]nun[/nom]oblivion would be awesome with natal[/citation]
^ case in point. You'll never play a game like Natal in Oblivion, and honestly, why would you want to? You expect to run in place and swing your arms around for hours? That will be fun for about 5 minutes.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]Maxor127[/nom]^ case in point. You'll never play a game like Natal in Oblivion[/citation]
Never get to play games like OBLIVION with NATAL deuschbag.
And it would totally be cool, have you ever imagined a sex scene with natal.
Dream come true with Megan Fox!!!!!!1

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Its awesome how people are bashing a product that's not even released yet. kinda like hype for a product that's not out yet... I can see some vary useful applications for this technology... Id go for Angelina Jolie... hackers Angelina :)

Icylobster

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
I didn't expect them to support older games. However I do think there are several and certain old games that would really benefit from Natal. An optional way to play it that is, I don't like the idea of only being able to use natal to play a game. I'm still more in favor of controllers.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]maigo[/nom]If you want to flail around to play an overly simplified game, buy a Wii[/citation]
Nah, we want first person shooters and the such.
You ever go to a arcade as a kid and play a game with a big fucking gun, blasting zombies to hell? It was awesome.
Yes, I can imagine a lot of player modded or created (from scratch) games being more in the adult category (and I can imagine myself grabbing one or two of them).

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]eskimo_1[/nom]The word natal sounds a bit gay, something homosexual nerds use.[/citation]

but Natal will not have a gun because it suppose to not have any kind of controller right? and im not going to act like a retard using my hand as some kind of gun. stick with the wii

gurthang

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
I suspect in the rush to get the product out they may be choosing to limit backwards compatibility to simplify design. Though I can't imagine why they couldn't at a later date add a "emulator app". That like many fancy PC controllers gives you the option to map pre-defined actions their controller recognises to basic 360 controller actions already used in most games. Then again I don't know how they wrote the HID stack on the 360 so "faking" a controller might be more tricky than it sounds.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I guess this is a problem Microsoft ignored with the original X-Box, i.e. the lack of upgrade options for a preset console (since the GameCube, PS2, and X-Box were all pretty limited overall). There is one XBox 360 console. Yeah, you can get different colors, bigger harddrives, etc..., but for the experience to be the same across all users, the console itself must be the same (CPU, GPU, audio, etc...). You can add all the peripherals you want, but they can't change the underlying console. Face it, Microsoft probably thought about Natal before releasing the 360, but didn't anticipate someone might want more than the traditional joy-pad-driven game console and didn't bother developing it. Then the cheaper Nintendo Wii outsold them 2-1 and they realized they were behind the ball again. Apparently overpriced graphics and storage do not a fun experience make for all gamers.

Anyone remember that stupid memory-upgrade for the Nintendo 64? Remember how some games were rather limited if your console didn't have said upgrade? Nintendo tried to extend the life of their console, but in the end just ended up damaging reputation. What do you mean I can't play 4-player Gauntlet Legends without the memory upgrade?!?!?

chaohsiangchen

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
I don't get it, whatever Natal or Wii thing that is. When I play games, I want to sit in the couch and hold controller or KB/M. If I want to get physical I'd go to play real sports or go to some martial arts class.
I can imagine those devices have real use in business/industrial/military training and presentation, but don't see it more than a gimick for home use. Good to have, but not necessary.

Oh, wait, I already signed up for longsword class.

CHRISTLUBAS

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Modern Warfare + Airsoft/Realguns then Natal = Sweet
PS:You will extremely hate Price Vasquez and Macmillan for this............

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
its no big whoop for me.. So what it is not backward compatible, either is Sony at allowing anyone to play PS2 games or UMD games on their system!

Status
Not open for further replies.