Microsoft Now Owns 'Xbone' Domain Name

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
from the first hour, the "Xbone" joke had gone viral. they should have seen this coming from miles away and they should have expected the reactions they would get. I personally never liked the "Xbone" joke, it seems like a joke the stereotypical meganerd would make. anyway, they really should just take this joke as a joke instead of getting all butthurt about it.

I remember when the Wii launched, there was a tidal wave of "playing with my Wii" jokes flying around everywhere. it was all just amusing, and not taken seriously at all.

none12345

Honorable
Apr 27, 2013
I like xbox 180 as well, but xbone works. I would use either as a joke, i cant think of a serious name for it.

All they had to do was call it xbox720, and the xbone name never would have existed. People would have just call it the 720, and everyone would have known what that was. Especially since people were calling the 360 successor the 720 for years, prior to the xbox one's announcement.

No matter what name they chose tho, their actions would still cause the xbox 180 joke to exist.

zkevwlu

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011
If you try to go to xbone.com, it actually forwards you to a bing search for "xbone", even if your default search engine is something else.

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
How could they not have seen this coming? Like anyone choosing a name for their baby, you must think about the potential nick names that bullies might use.
It's apt considering how badly M$ Xboned the launch.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Damn! I think someone just made $50,000 on the XBONE.COM name.

BackbyDemand said: "When they sell 20 million of these in a year, MS will have the laugh" LOL!!! Joke's on you.

1 - MS never sold more than 10m in a year.
2 - Considering that the PS3 has sold as about as many PS3's as 360, it actually DID better since its a year younger.
3 - How many millions of 360's are 2nd, 3rd or 4th replacement units due to defects?

4 - Considering the ratio of interested buyers in consoles... about 10 to 1 against the Xbone... It is quite possible for the Xbone to fail... badly, even if they sold 1m a year.

Why?
A- MS has already failed and/or pissed off every part of their business. Servers, Desktops, tablets, phones, Office2013, Windows and now... their gaming division.

B- 360 fanbois spent years calling the PS3 a failure, when its been a year behind in sales to the 360. ie: at 27m 360s, the PS3 is a "failure" with 20m units. The 360 wasn't a failure when there were 14m units to PS3's 7m. It has taken about 7 years for the PS3 to catch up. Had the PS3 launched on the same holiday season as the 360, it would have been worse for MS. Hence, MS launched the 360 early which resulted in defective hardware... RROD. So, for the first 20m 360s - they had a 30+% failure rate, that is very BAD. Many 360 owners were constantly upgrading to the latest model for improved reliability.

C- So now... both consoles are coming out within weeks of each other. The $100 price difference, the smaller and slick box of the PS4, the stronger hardware, better title line-up... Japan and other Asian countries points to problems for the xbone.

D- Lets so sales projects and predictions. I think in mid-2015, Nintendo will pull the plug on the Wii-U (There is no reason for this console at its price point. If they didn't waste time and included the tablet-pad, it would have done well as a $200 console) When the Wii-U goes bye at about 4m sold units, Nintendo will port all their games for the PS4 and PS3.

I am betting they will add 50% more value to the PS4.

2014 PS4 = 12m Xbone = 5m (before holiday season, xbone is priced at $400)
2015 PS4 = 22m Xbone = 7m (wii U dies or becomes a $150 console)
2016 PS4 = 35m Xbone = 8m (Developers have long stop making exclusives for xbone)
2017 PS4 = 48m Xbone = 9m Microsoft stops making Xbone console.
2018 PS4 = 65m Xbone = 9m

But... MS may come out with a next GEN console in 2017... or be dead in the gaming business.
Developers and consumers would drop the xbone. GPU power in 2017 would be doubled what it is today. But does that translate into game / console sales? Considering the 8yr old PS3/360 tech? I would say, no... For developers, an Xbone2 would be a problem if it came out in 3 years... The PS4 would have well over 50m users and 3years isn't enough time for a HUGE jump in CPU & GPU performance.

Yeah yeah, the 360 came out 4 years after the 1st XBox. Only 24m of those were made. With the huge user base on the PS4, they can wait out a year or so for the PS5.

I also think, any future consoles like the PS5 will work like PC in that it'll simply be a much more powerful PS4, thus allowing 100% game compatibility since actual game code doesn't need to change. Of course PS5 games wouldn't run on a PS4 because of hardware performance.

My prediction. The Xbone will not make 10m units.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS