Microsoft Offers First Look at Windows Phone 8

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
I can't wait for this update! I liked WP7 when it came out, but the lack of removable storage was a deal breaker for me, and I was not too hot on the low resolution either (but I could have dealt with it). Now it looks like I will get my SD card support, as well as a duel core CPU, rudimentary multi-tasking support, updated Office, and a host of other features.

The only thing I am not too stoked on is the built in banking support. I love the concept, but I am a little too paranoid about someone hacking my phone, or worse, stealing my phone, and then going for a shopping spree.

techy74

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
Great features. Hope they are ready to go, when it's time to upgrade my window 7.5 phone next year. Initially i was disappointed not having Sd card support - this looks like a great way to go.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
What are the interface changes and updates? I see they allow / do another division of the tiles to allow a 4 x 6 grid... a Reason I like WP7 is the nice big icons, so hopefully the sizes are user controlled.

But a cool feature of Launcher 7, an Android launcher which looks and works JUST like the WP7 interface, does things that WP7 and WP8(appears) to not do:
- rotate the tiles to always be UP. Looks cool when they rotate.
- User controlled individual title colors. ie: I have a blue base tile, but my DIAL tile is green... also have options for translucent tiles.

Apple does a pretty good job of updating their products... this does not give me confidence to switch to a Nokia Windows Phone.... I think I'll just get another Android.

TheKurrgan

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Microsoft may have 90% of the PC market right now, but they have a lot on the line with the Win 8 series of software. Perhaps I'm just an old dog at 30, but I can NOT get behind the Windows 8 interface. Its great for tablets, phones etc... but PC? This puts them in an interesting spot if this is a wide spread feeling, as people will be either sticking with 7 until the end of days, or finding alternatives.. Personally I would rather use ANY OTHER OPERATING SYSTEM than Windows 8 at this point. As far as the phone goes, I have a Lumia 900 myself, and it is a little sad that one of the first devices Nokia / MS made is already dead ended the same year it came out.
That said, the industry is at an interesting turning point. Windows Phone 8 is likely going to be very heavy, and sharing as much as it does with the "big" version of Windows 8, I doubt it'll run as well as mango does on small hardware.. No matter the opinion of Windows Phone, you gotta give the devil his dues some times.. Windows Phone runs on some VERY mediocre software. Android doesnt even come close as released by the OEMS, and Apple's latest iteration of their software doesnt run very well on the comparible iPHone to many WP7 phones.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Probably the biggest news to come out of today's event is that Windows Phone 8 will share a kernel, file system, media foundation, device drivers, and parts of the security model of Windows 8.

Hardly, when Microsoft showed the Metro interface i knew this was coming. Its really clever to have the same foundation for software on all device types and it will attract hoards of developers... know one - know all.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]sykozis[/nom] My Android phone freezes regularly, it's slower than hell and half the time it can't even find the internet (even sitting next to my wireless router).[/citation]

When you say "my Android phone" instead of the actual model you have, it probably means you got the cheapest crappiest smartphone and expect it to compete with the flagship of the competition.

The market has spoken, Android phones kick ass, iPhones kick ass, Windows Phones blow (so far).

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]The market has spoken, Android phones kick ass, iPhones kick ass, Windows Phones blow (so far).[/citation]

Have you ever tried a wp? We got a Nokia Lumia from work due to security concerns with android and ios. I were very sceptical in the beginning but after a while my private ip4 collect dust. The wp os have a fresh and really smooth feel, as for the number of apps - it got the apps need, not 500x different flavours of the same app but enough of them. My advice, try one and then "judge" - You might get surprised (like me).

masterofevil22

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
Top of the line Andriod phones are awesome. Other andriod phones suck. All iphones suck harry meatballs.

WP is going to be whatever MS can make of its market support. We'll see if it ends up being sucky or awesome.. At least we know for sure that it won't be LOCKED DOWN like iphone or ibgay products that suck huge nuts.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Apple may be all things bad on earth, but you got to give 'em credit for their sleek designs.
Going to be a cold day in hell that I will own an iPhone, but this Windows 8 phone is right on that same list.
It looks like a clunky pice of work coming from a former eastern block design house; kinta like the trabant cars from the former East Germany. One look and you want to ride a bicycle instead.

hythos

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
Can it run Crysi... er, MSDOS programs? THAT, is all I want in a phone... to be able to play my old pre-pentium games, like those by Microprose, SSi or LucasArts.

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
yeah they promised updates last go around. Yeah we got an update 7.8! Is that what will happen next go around.

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]Hardly, when Microsoft showed the Metro interface i knew this was coming. Its really clever to have the same foundation for software on all device types and it will attract hoards of developers... know one - know all.[/citation]
Yeah, hoards of developers that will be trying to bring two very different experience on basically one and same GUI.

Status
Not open for further replies.