Microsoft Offers webOS Devs Free WP7 Phones, Tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

thejerk

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
I had Android, went to WP7, found out Mango's bogus "turn-by-turn" navigation plans, sold my WP7 phone, and am back to Android. The WP7 dev team is retarded.

plasmastorm

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
[citation][nom]rottingsheep[/nom]MS should buy HP's pc division[/citation]

Nope, HP should stop taking whatever drug it is on and realise it's been doing better than it has in years and keep the damn PC business.
If they don't then roll on the Sun Microsystems framework of things going down the s****er

bhaberle

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
This does have potential and would put them on a similar level as Apple... but can Microsoft really compete properly?

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009

- Can they afford to buy the world's largest PC maker? If some quick Googling is to be believed, MS could do, but only by wiping out most of their cash reserves.

- Would regulators allow an enterprise that controls about 90% of the consumer PC market to buy such a huge stake of the hardware market? This would create on of the largest vertically integrated companies in history...

- MS clearly doesn't want a PC division. It has had countless opportunities to buy very respectable PC divisions (including IBM's a few years ago) and has had enough cash for years to start their own. They didn't.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Silmarunya[/nom]- Can they afford to buy the world's largest PC maker? If some quick Googling is to be believed, MS could do, but only by wiping out most of their cash reserves.- Would regulators allow an enterprise that controls about 90% of the consumer PC market to buy such a huge stake of the hardware market? This would create on of the largest vertically integrated companies in history...- MS clearly doesn't want a PC division. It has had countless opportunities to buy very respectable PC divisions (including IBM's a few years ago) and has had enough cash for years to start their own. They didn't.[/citation]

with the way HP is going down they can always wait a few months and get there PC division for a low price.

G

HP= Head to Palm....
I knew they'd botch this just like VooDoo PC....
I left Palm just before HP came into the picture, it was clear they weren't (Palm) interested in keeping their products alive. Just dressing up the windows to sell out.....

jackbling

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
[citation][nom]billoawney[/nom]HP= Head to Palm....I knew they'd botch this just like VooDoo PC....I left Palm just before HP came into the picture, it was clear they weren't (Palm) interested in keeping their products alive. Just dressing up the windows to sell out.....[/citation]

To be fair VooDoo was never in a good place market wise, anyone who gamed enough to want one, could build it for a fourth of what they were charging.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]jackbling[/nom]To be fair VooDoo was never in a good place market wise, anyone who gamed enough to want one, could build it for a fourth of what they were charging.[/citation]

its true you could build a powerhouse PC cheaper but keep in mind that dell bought Alienware and its still alive and well. which proves there is always lazy noobs who what a kick@$$ computer just go buy one because they can't find anyone to spoon feed them the info

jackbling

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]its true you could build a powerhouse PC cheaper but keep in mind that dell bought Alienware and its still alive and well. which proves there is always lazy noobs who what a kick@$$ computer just go buy one because they can't find anyone to spoon feed them the info[/citation]

VooDoo could easily get into the 12k range, their flagship system had gold plated custom heatsinks on the video card, mem, and proc. That site and falcon northwest was where i spent hours configuring dream systems as a younger gent.

Alienware came at a premium but voodoo was ridiculous. i hate car analogies, but voodoo was ferrari, and alienware was bmw (from a cost perspective). I thought it odd that hp bought them, though some of those hp cases were very nice.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008

Why would MS do a stupid thing like that? It'd kill them. That is not their business.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]its true you could build a powerhouse PC cheaper but keep in mind that dell bought Alienware and its still alive and well. which proves there is always lazy noobs who what a kick@$$ computer just go buy one because they can't find anyone to spoon feed them the info[/citation]
While Alienware is alive, I don't know how "well" one can consider it. Most gamers consider it a joke brand. Their machines are overpriced and underpowered. They advertise the price of their entry level machines but, especially in the case of their laptops, they aren't powered enough to play the latest games.

But as for Microsoft buying HP's PC division, that would be corporate suicide for them. First off the regulators would never allow it due to antitrust concerns. Secondly, they would alienate all other PC vendors who would stop being customers and start being competitors. And thirdly it would be disastrous for the consumers, because once other PC vendors saw Microsoft competing with them, they would then start using other OS's which would fragment the market further. I know some people don't see this as a big deal, but the reason Windows is by far the most popular OS is because of compatibility. Until we can take a software disc and install it on any OS people need something that is compatible, and the "cloud" where apps run on the net is seen by far to many as risky considering the hacking that goes on and the lack of security able to thwart it.

blurr91

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2004
I thought Microsoft might consider buying WebOS and the related assets from HP at a discount. I guess tempting the WebOS devs with free phone is even cheaper and more direct.

Status
Not open for further replies.