Microsoft Operating Systems (MOS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bertm99

Commendable
Oct 8, 2016
Does anyone but me notice the MOS strategy? For years efforts were made to ensure backwards compatibility, but Google, with its "Islands of stand alone systems, taught Microsoft much money could be saved by having one system to maintain.

Microsoft is taking it one step further by abandoning integration with old systems/software. The Hotmail/Outlook connector is no longer functional with of older office software.

Microsoft is bullying everyone to Win 10 to accomplish this ultimate goal.

RealBeast

Distinguished
Nope, all the rest of us missed it totally. :lol:

Some of us still run mainly Windows 7 and will for a long time.

And there is a really great little OS called Mint (a Linux version) that is great unless you are a gamer, then not as much. You can try it out without even installing it by making a Linux Live USB stick with the free tool HERE and then just choosing Mint 17 from the choices, it will auto download and create the stick. It includes Firefox and Thunderbird if you do the full install to a drive in the future.

bertm99

Commendable
Oct 8, 2016
I've been a holdout w/XP for a while. I recently setup a new computer w/Win 7 x64 and I can't believe how slow the file manager/browser is. I've disabled a lot of the fancy features and downloaded a third party browser (which has helped) but it doesn't seem to multi-task like XP. You have to wait for each action to be completed before starting another.

So, when I get the courage, I may give Mint a shot - but I have found Linux e-book readers to be very slow, lacking multi-tasking as well. I still have and prefer my old XP even if Microsoft has scared of vendor support.

bertm99

Commendable
Oct 8, 2016
Intel i7-4790K @ 4 GHz
32 GB RAM 64 bit OS
1T WDC ATA

Now this may be issue;
The HD is divided into four logical 256k MB disks.
C: The OS and other three for data..

RealBeast

Distinguished
That computer should scream running Windows 7, if you have an installer disk, I would backup data, delete all partitions and reinstall Windows 7 (you can do the partition deleting as the first step of a custom install and then install to the remaining unpartitioned space). Then install the latest drivers downloaded from the motherboard manufacturer (or computer manufacturer if OEM.

bertm99

Commendable
Oct 8, 2016
It runs programs fine except for managing files. Moving files between partitioned drives is slow. Also, I can't begin a second task until the first completes. I read this is a common problem w/ win 7 explorer browser. Someone created a file manager/browser that is significantly better than the original but still freezes until move/copy is complete. That's why I thought my partitioning the 1TB drive into four logical drives may have aggravated the the physical drives performance.

To reiterate, my only complaint is file management. In XP I can quickly begin another file move/copy while the original task remains in a second window.

Is there a setting in Win 7 that is restricting me to one window? Although a second window is visually created, it remains linked to the browser, freezing it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.