Microsoft SBP 3/4 vs MacBook Air 11/13

umairshariff23

Honorable
May 25, 2012
Hi all, I know this has been said and replied to a million times already, but I bet my story is a little different than the rest out there

I currently own a custom built desktop consisting of a fx 8350, r9 290 and Kingston hyperx PCI ssd 240 GB

I have recently graduated from medical college and I need to study for further education and need something that I can move around (taking down notes from patient histories, investigations, unique findings, etc) while maintaining a small yet lag/problem free entertainment center (during the few times a day I get off)

I am not necessarily hell bent on one of the two mentioned above and open to suggestions and advice (selling my desktop to fund this, btw) and would really appreciate if a medical doctor could help me out here

Regardless of intervention by a medico, I'd appreciate all the input I could get

Thanks and be safe

From medial point of view - your problem is hot the hardware (MBP vs SBP) but software. What app you will be using to take notes? Are your notes text only, or you would like to draw a picture (or over a scanned picture) as well?

Most note-taking apps these days (OneNote, EverNote) are platform-agnostics, so go with the one which makes more sense for you. If you don't know or want to nurse Windows, go with MBP.

umairshariff23

Honorable
May 25, 2012
In response to Alablacho, so far I've been using Google keep, onenote and evernote, I have a bunch of things everywhere and my life juggles around them

Among those three, I like evernote best and have been using it for quite sometime

We get burn patients and surgical patients quite often. So it help if I can draw burn surfaces and anatomical relevant figures

Handwriting recognition also helps for jotting down quick lab results and stuff

Purpletalon55

Respectable
Apr 2, 2016

I would get a workstation grade lenovo thinkpad in that case, as it comes with all the features you want and is durable.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/p-series/p40-yoga/

umairshariff23

Honorable
May 25, 2012
Hi, I looked up lenovo P40 in its website and it has some really cool specs and looks good too

Just a tiny problem, it's not available in India and from what I've seen no retailer is willing to ship it to India

I appreciate all the thought that went into this. I'll try to get this comp if I have friends visiting US

Purpletalon55

Respectable
Apr 2, 2016

I had no idea that you were in India, but lenovo is a chinese company you would think they would sell machines in India. But i guess you could always have a friend pick one up. I have always liked thinkpads for durability, and features.

umairshariff23

Honorable
May 25, 2012

Lenovo does sell n India, but it has certain models off the shelves for the Indian market

Purpletalon55

Respectable
Apr 2, 2016

Ah, you would think workstation computers would be as everyone uses them.

umairshariff23

Honorable
May 25, 2012

Yea, I wouldn't be surprised if most IT people wouldn't be aware of workstation tablets

umairshariff23

Honorable
May 25, 2012

Yea, I considered iPad for a while, but turned it down because of my experience with iPhones in the past. It seems to be a bother really when working with them, I dont know if that has improved with the recent updates, but it'll get too expensive to try em out