Microsoft Shows Off Head-tracking Using Kinect

Status
Not open for further replies.

swamprat

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
It looked quite jolly - but probably a bit disorientating. If the screen was on wheels and also moved it might work (other than being hugely impractical).
First person shooters might actually benefit more from this as you could get people diving around a bit, relying on position rather than angle of the head

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
[citation][nom]swamprat[/nom]It looked quite jolly - but probably a bit disorientating. If the screen was on wheels and also moved it might work (other than being hugely impractical).First person shooters might actually benefit more from this as you could get people diving around a bit, relying on position rather than angle of the head[/citation]
screen on wheels, maybe a screen that moves around with the head, maybe head mounted... now if only it was light like a normal pair of stereo glasses. But it will get there in time.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
lol...it looks like the guy driving got a whiplash, lol....it would work if you had monitors all around you...i said monitors not tvs...pc gaming for life

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Lots of neck injuries in the future.
(if people actually use this BS)

I can foresee lawyers ads already: "If you have been injured while PLAYING your favorite game please call us at 555-444-5555 we will fight for your rights"

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]virtualban[/nom]screen on wheels, maybe a screen that moves around with the head, maybe head mounted... now if only it was light like a normal pair of stereo glasses. But it will get there in time.[/citation]

we have that, its just a bit thicker right now. sadly no one i know makes advancements on it. and the only ones i can find are sub sd quality.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]WhySoBluePandaBear[/nom]Oh God, and we all know the commercials will air during the times that Maury, Montel and Jerry are on. White-trash TV, with 4 minute commercial breaks filled with Xbox Kinect lawsuits, prescription drug lawsuits and structure entitlements from J.G. Wentworth. If it comes to that, you have permission to tell the terrorists that those dirty broadcasting companies dared drawing cartoons of Mohammed and now must urn in flames, as they are now the infidel.[/citation]

you do know a drug company only goes to lawsuits like that when they try to not pay people who are rightly looking for compensation.

you ever wonder why some drugs dont get sued even though there side effects list death as one? its because they are honest about what the drug can do and makeing compensation for when shit really hits the fan (in some way or another)

Netherscourge

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
What's the point of having to turn your head left or right if you have to look forward at a stationary screen the entire time to see what's going on?

Your eyes must always be fixed on the screen, right? So why bother having to turn your head?

alyon

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
And of couse PC is way ahead of the game again. Look up trackIR made by softpoint. They have been around for a long time and provide a much better product. I think they are on their 5th generation right now. Only problem is most games are consolized and would need to be modded to support this tech.

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
Now, if only they would bring the kinect to the pc..... Still waiting. Microsoft device on microsoft O.S.
And then, I would use it not only for Dirt 3, but also for Battlefield 3 when your flying the jets so you can look around in the cockpit.. :D That would be awsome!!

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]Netherscourge[/nom]What's the point of having to turn your head left or right if you have to look forward at a stationary screen the entire time to see what's going on?Your eyes must always be fixed on the screen, right? So why bother having to turn your head?[/citation]

What's the point of having a mouse to move if you have to type on the keyboard? Your hands must always be fixed on the keyboard, right? So why bother having the mouse?

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
at 0:32 you can see that they made it so it moves the camera also when you just tilt your body, not only when looking in a direction. I think this way is better because you don't have to look one way but keep your eyes in the other way. So if it's like that, then I love it because I often tilt my body in corners.

youpcmonkeysblow

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
They really needed to do something to jazz it up somehow. cool concept (although nintendo beat them to it by a half-decade), and sales were crazy high, so i guess chalk another "victory" up for the "us too!" company. i know about ten people who bought, and none are using them. i know, i know, it is giant leap over the wii, but micro$oft had 5 years to improve on it, so i would expect nothing else. still, it lacks the charm of the wii...love those 480p graphics! well not really, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.