Microsoft to Further Unify Windows and Windows Phone

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IAmVortigaunt

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
[citation][nom]silver565[/nom] I want two 23" screens just as I have now. No touch rubbish. I want a simple keyboard and mouse. I'll be sticking to windows 7 for now.Microsoft... you're so close to getting it right. But yet.. so far off[/citation]

You can keep your two 23" screens with Windows 8. In fact, you can have a separate taskbar for each screen, something Win7 does not allow you to do. I think Windows 8 makes a lot of sense for a multiple monitor setup. One screen has your tiles constantly updating with information while you're working on the desktops on the other monitors, or you go to the desktop on all monitors, much like Windows 7. Then any time you need to check your basic feeds, like email, messaging, weather, social networks, hit start, glance at the tiles, hit start again, and you're back to the desktop. What is so difficult about that? Don't have to minimize or move windows to find a widget or try to pull up a browser or email client just to check on these basic pieces of information. One button. One button back. Done.

G

@kennethtauber66bn
No mother-in-law makes $16023 showing her bits on the internet.Your friend should be ashamed of her.Out of work for nine months? Guess they took a look first.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]dozerman[/nom]Here's to hoping it's just an emulation layer on top of windows 8 and not something stupid...[/citation]
That's exactly what I was thinking... you took the words out of my mouth.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]silver565[/nom]Releasing surface and Apollo to only "some regions" is the stupidest thing I've ever seen. You either give it to the whole world, or you don't.[/citation]Apollo is just WP8, so I have no idea what you're talking about. MS doesn't sell phones (yet) and I'm sure they want more phones available in more regions. Thankfully for them Nokia continues to aggresively develop low-end WP devices and is selling them everywhere they can. If you're talking about WP8 updates (8.1 for example), a lot of that is up to the carriers.

Status
Not open for further replies.