Microsoft to Offer New Win7 Users Win8 Pro Upgrade at $15

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

billgatez

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
$15 To downgrade to Windows 8? I don't think so.

The only people i suggest get windows 8. Are the people who bought bulldozer CPU's

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
[citation][nom]billgatez[/nom]$15 To downgrade to Windows 8? I don't think so. The only people i suggest get windows 8. Are the people who bought bulldozer CPU's[/citation]

Those poor unfortunate souls.

I might get Windows 8 and make it my gaming machine. With the resource improvements they've added I've heard that games run a little better on 8. It will really depend on how much better it is because not having direct input and having to hover my mouse over things to access vital functions is a BIG pain.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
[citation][nom]guardianangel42[/nom]Those poor unfortunate souls.I might get Windows 8 and make it my gaming machine. With the resource improvements they've added I've heard that games run a little better on 8. It will really depend on how much better it is because not having direct input and having to hover my mouse over things to access vital functions is a BIG pain.[/citation]

Now you're giving them ideas to artificially slow down games in Windows 7. Good work.

jdwii

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Hate Windows 8 i wont even use it for free unless i have to and thank god i wont since no business or school(college) would use something without a start menu or something that overrides everything going on in the background.

I hope this is a worst lanuch then even Windows vista becease to be honest i would rather use Vista and i liked vista more then this since it was still windows now its not performance that makes this suck its the interface that needs to stay on the Phone/tablets.

Also i'm no apple fan (actually a pretty big Microsoft + Google fan) But Apple is going to walk all over Windows 8 which makes me sad, Why because Apple has a better marketing team and to be honest a OS that makes more since and its not so ugly. If i had a choice between a Iphone and a Windows phone i would still pick windows but i would really want a Android.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]jdwii[/nom]Hate Windows 8 i wont even use it for free unless i have to and thank god i wont since no business or school(college) would use something without a start menu or something that overrides everything going on in the background. I hope this is a worst lanuch then even Windows vista becease to be honest i would rather use Vista and i liked vista more then this since it was still windows now its not performance that makes this suck its the interface that needs to stay on the Phone/tablets.Also i'm no apple fan (actually a pretty big Microsoft + Google fan) But Apple is going to walk all over Windows 8 which makes me sad, Why because Apple has a better marketing team and to be honest a OS that makes more since and its not so ugly. If i had a choice between a Iphone and a Windows phone i would still pick windows but i would really want a Android.[/citation]

You can put in a start menu using freeware...

john_4

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
"Windows 8 to Let Parents Get Weekly Reports About Kids' Activity" And the FEDS can get yours. Don't trust MS, Apple, Google and Facebook/Twitter Linux will be the free mans best friend.
www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2404478,00.asp

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]You can put in a start menu using freeware...[/citation]

Okay, for whoever thumbed me down, go Google Classic Shell. Or, ViStart and ViOrb. They aren't the only ones. All three are available at softpedia.com for free because they are freeware.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
wiyosaya - it is these kind of comments that hold back innovation. While you are stuck on the old past, others would rather move forward. Case in point - Microsoft did not take Apple serious when the iPhone came out and now everybody has copied their design.

I have long been trained by Microsoft and their products have always had an innovated edge to it. You might say Windows ME was a flop, however it was a transition product to get people use to Windows NT based computing. You might say Windows Vista was a flop, but it pushed innovation and technology forward with graphics and processing. Everything has a purpose and Microsoft is in a fight to stay around for the next couple of decades.

I cannot wait for Windows 8 to be released, I cannot wait to see the type of hardware that will be produced around it. I for one want to see innovation continue to excel!

Thank you !

G

Strange, if M$ doesn't want people holding off buying a new PC before Win8, shouldn't they provide the upgrade for free? What kind of logic is that?

And since when does leaving out Windows Media Center a bad thing? I for one like to see that and IE uninstalled from Windows.

dreadlokz

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
Microsoft trying to clean their own mess! Win8 will fail on desktops! And they will call it a sucess because of the sales for portable and touch devices!

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
Spending money for a degrade?
No thank you!
THey'd have to pay me my copy of Windows 7 back for that, and I ain't selling it cheap!
Then, perhaps....
But forget about windows 8! I probably buy another copy of windows 7 before shifting to win 8!

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]wiyosaya[/nom]That is the point, though. Everyone who runs some previous M$ windows version does not necessarily have the time to "figure it out." IF M$ really wants a winner with this, the transition for their user base needs to be seamless and easy to make. Otherwise, it is likely to be a long, long time before 8 is widely accepted. The business world, where time always comes at a premium, is not likely to invest in 8 after just having transitioned to 7 even if the business world had the time to give their computer users to learn 8. Without the business world on board, 8 will be another vista or Me.And this is a completely useless gesture for M$ to make in limiting this to people who purchase laptops. While this may be a deal for people who run laptops, it is consistent with where M$ wants to take the computer user world. Personally, I think M$ is in for another wake-up call with 8 - like it or not.[/citation]
The by this perspective the start menu shouldn't exist in windows since it was introduced in Windows 95 and changed a lot from previous versions.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]The by this perspective the start menu shouldn't exist in windows since it was introduced in Windows 95 and changed a lot from previous versions.[/citation]

Yes, but it was only changed, not completely replaced by something else that doesn't quite do the same job as well.

LokalHero

Honorable
May 2, 2012
If you paid $300 for Win 7 Ultimate, then you don't deserve any discounts on anything, ever. How are the extra 70+ languages working out for ya?

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]Yes, but it was only changed, not completely replaced by something else that doesn't quite do the same job as well.[/citation]

Windows 95 was a major change from what Windows looked like previously. How do you think people felt back then? I can tell you a lot of people did not like Windows 95 back then because Microsoft increased the processing, memory, and hard disk requirements. Even though it said it could run on a 386, it could never run anything useful. Right around that time period, Intel had three processors to deal with, 386, 486, and their newly released Pentium.

If you don't like Windows 8, then don't buy it. However, if you are in the IT field, it is stupid not to learn it. Even if major businesses do not pick it up and transition to it when it is released, their agreement contracts with Microsoft mandate that they transistion to it evenutally.

Status
Not open for further replies.