Microsoft's Cyanogen Bet: Fork You, Android!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlad Rose

Estimable
Apr 7, 2014
If Cyanogen ends up having Microsoft backing them, consider it nearly sunk in the mobile market. Most users use Android or iOS because it isn't Microsoft. Just ask those who bought iPods instead of Zunes.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
If Cyanogen ends up having Microsoft backing them, consider it nearly sunk in the mobile market. Most users use Android or iOS because it isn't Microsoft. Just ask those who bought iPods instead of Zunes.
Ridiculous revisionist history. Most who bought iPods thought they were "the best", or wanted what all their friends had, or were locked into the ecosystem. In general most users today (iOS or Android) just don't know any better. We're well past the early adopter phases for these OS so the majority of the users are average Joes and Janes. So now Android is the mainstream... not the alternative. CyanogenMod is one of the few viable alternatives, unless you're an Applefan. However if Cyanogen wants to challenge Google they need to partner with other companies, and Apple and Google are out of the question for them.

rluker5

Estimable
Jun 23, 2014
MS wants the android userbase to be more fragmented like Linux. Since the a lot of the android userbase values freedom of choice more than os loyalty, it seems like an easy call to give those people what they want in the short term even if it may reduce the diversity of android apps in the long term.
But I had a zune, and I loved it. I also have a windows 8.1 phone and its soon to get even better with free windows 10. If MS really wanted to enter the phone market, they would put baytrails with micro hdmi outs in them running full desktop windows. you could remote desktop or stream steam to your tv.
But this is better than nothing.

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
@Vlad. "Most users use Android or iOS because it isn't Microsoft." - Utter Bull. People, standard consumers, use whatever they're told to use. Do you really think that most Samsung owners care t hat they're using Android? No, they don't, they have their shiny Samsung. iPhone... We know the story there.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
@rluker5 i would be very pleased if they would make a Win 10 phone that you can connect to your TV/Monitor via HDMI and use it. I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 and all i can say is that it has great hardware and crap software.

I also hate the dispute between MS and Google, because of this i can`t sync my Windows 8.1 calendar with my Galaxy S Planner even though they both use Google Calendar at core. Because the two giants can`t make peace on what protocol to use with syncing. But i`ve found a work around this, mobile office (free), i can store my pans in my Excel sheet and have them accessed both on PC (free online Office) and on my Phone.

rundmcarlson

Honorable
Jul 2, 2013
I agree that many people simply avoid ms. Everything that they have bought ive had to stop using because they let greed ruin the service. Just wait until cm loses the forums and has inaccessible paid customer service or charges monthly to keep running the software. Not saying it will happen, but ms has done this type of stuff in the past which is why i dont give them business anymore.

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012
If they fork Cyanogenmod, instead of keeping it a mod, it will be a waste of money. A forked Android is useful for one, maybe two generations, after that you'll start running into compatibility issues.

I guess their plan is just to get their hands on a potentially widespread Android version where they can preload Microsoft apps and services. Microsoft has been building their apps portfolio up pretty strongly during 2014.

Kikenovic

Estimable
Jan 30, 2015
if cm corrupts, good news is there are options and plenty of enthusiasts making custom roms. Let's see how it plays out.

face-plants

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
I too have been a long-term skeptic of Microsoft's intentions when entering new markets or developing new/alternative platforms to existing/successful ones. However, this could very well be another bit of evidence that MS is getting wise to the powers of embracing the more open-source, DIY, modder culture out there. I'm also anxiously waiting to see how they handle their acquisition of minecraft and the enormous 3rd party mod scene that exists out there for it. It could be that someone making decisions in Redmond has realized that controlling every single aspect of the user experience isn't in their best interest.

One more example of them parting ways with tradition is their announcement of the free update to Windows 10 for a huge user base (win 7/8 users). Putting market share of the new OS over profits couldn't have been an easy decision for them to make.

lucxxx

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
Helloooo,

you are misleading the people , Cyanogen is NOT an "its own version of the Android mobile operating system ", Is just another Pants for android, lets say, Cyanogen without android ( Google's android), does not exists!!

programit

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
The idea that google has is to lessen fragmentation, and then you have companies like cyanogen that wants to fragment android even more. Why would anyone want to support this unless there aim is to disrupt android.
Microsoft wouldn't invest in anything android unless it was to cause problems. Wouldn't surprise me if Apple got behind this as well to try and cause problems for android.
Also if cyanogen change the code to their own closed code, then its is still no better as far as being open source. If it is truly open source then why would anyone pay cyanogen, when they could simply grab a copy of it, and why would anyone want to limit apps etc to non Google play stores?

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
you are misleading the people , Cyanogen is NOT an "its own version of the Android mobile operating system ", Is just another Pants for android, lets say, Cyanogen without android ( Google's android), does not exists!!

It's not just "another pants for Android". You can flash it with entire Google framework completely ripped out... in fact that's the *only* way to install it, Google Apps are an optional package. Cyanogenmod includes many tweaks like Privacy Guard that Google will never bother to include while not deviating from stock Android in terms of UI and other features and IMO that's what makes it great. Stock Android can be stupid - I bought a Moto G for my mother and was extremely displeased to find out one can't even customize QuickSettings panel there. The option is just missing. Cyanogenmod is a perfect solution if you want full control over your device but don't want to mess with things a normal user doesn't really need.

Microsoft backing CM doesn't worry me because I hate MS (I don't - only some of their products *cough* Windows 8 *cough*). It worries me exactly because I *don't* want CM focusing on distancing itself from core Android. (And potentially disappearing once MS is done with it)

g-unit1111

Distinguished
Honestly I'd much rather see Microosft further develop Windows Phone OS into a viable platform by getting more developers and apps, and of course more phone manufacturers. They can do that, rather than waste time trying to compete with Google, and it would pay off more since it's already an existing product. Competing with Google is an entirely different beast and I think it would hurt them more financially in the long run rather than taking the time to make Windows Phone 8 work as a viable product.

Phillip

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2004

It's not just "another pants for Android". You can flash it with entire Google framework completely ripped out... in fact that's the *only* way to install it, Google Apps are an optional package. Cyanogenmod includes many tweaks like Privacy Guard that Google will never bother to include while not deviating from stock Android in terms of UI and other features and IMO that's what makes it great. Stock Android can be stupid - I bought a Moto G for my mother and was extremely displeased to find out one can't even customize QuickSettings panel there. The option is just missing. Cyanogenmod is a perfect solution if you want full control over your device but don't want to mess with things a normal user doesn't really need.

Microsoft backing CM doesn't worry me because I hate MS (I don't - only some of their products *cough* Windows 8 *cough*). It worries me exactly because I *don't* want CM focusing on distancing itself from core Android. (And potentially disappearing once MS is done with it)

From Cyanogen's own website:

"CyanogenMod is a free, community built distribution of Android which greatly extends the capabilities of your device."

Without Android, there is no Cyanogen.

Status
Not open for further replies.