Microsoft's Flight Simulator, GamerScore Blog Teams Axed

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Flight simulators are either technically accurate or easy. Microsoft's was the more technical but it limits market appeal as it's hard to get into unless you are really into airplanes. Technical simulators are very niche products (like FlightGear) in that the community surrounding them gets really into the details even building simulated cockpits with multiple screens and instruments. They have events where some players do nothing but act as dedicated flight controllers for airports.

Train simulators tend to be simpler and can be handled by the "Thomas the Tank Engine" market segment. I would expect the Train Simulator to be finished as it's more likely to succeed but it wouldn't be the first time it was cancelled:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Train_Simulator

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
Just look at Steve Balmer what a joke.He should be fired as CEO as he is ruining Microsoft.
Look at Microsoft's stock value since last year it has gone down in half especially over Balmer's Vista fiasco.
Axing the Microsoft Flight Simulator series and laying off the employees at Aces Games Studios is complete stupidity.The only reason that I and hundreds of thousands of other customers built a new PC and bought another copy of Windows was to run FSX and get super detailed and complex 3rd party aircraft (especially from a2asimulations).No more flight simulator series then no need for me to build another PC and buy a newer version of Windows.Microsoft you have made a huge strategic blunder.

radguy

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
Here and I was wondering the other day how long it would before the next FS game. This sucks! Hopefully they'll bring it back in a few years.

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
I wish someone would bring back Mech Warrior, MS why!?!?

If you plan to shut down a franchise, do what the makers of FreeSpace did, go Open Source (LOL Like MS would ever open any of their source) and let the product live on by the people who were your best fans.

ImmortalJman

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Bigtime mistake MS. I that is the only reason I update my widows computer and build new ones. Maybe some 'brilliant' Sony execs have shared their maketing techniques to MS.

Status
Not open for further replies.