Microsoft's Greenberg: No Slim Xbox 360!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]fulle[/nom]*claps* You know what, Kevin Parrish, I found this amusing. At least you have the guts to have an opinion. Politically correct, sugar coated bullcrap annoys me even more than an article dripping with personal agenda and bias. So, fuck it. Microsoft should be ashamed of their hardware failure rate. The console obviously needs a redesign, and I couldn't write an article on this subject (not even a short one) that wasn't dripping with cynicism either.[/citation]

This type of reporting lead to the Spanish American war you fucking dumbass! Personal agenda reporting the the most irresponsible thing a journalist can possibly do.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
[citation][nom]tenor77[/nom]This type of reporting lead to the Spanish American war you fucking dumbass! Personal agenda reporting the the most irresponsible thing a journalist can possibly do.[/citation]

You still consider Toms a source of unbiased, actual news. I consider it a rumor mill, and hub that reports news that's been out for days. Oh noos! dissing a console might lead to a war /sarcasm. Relax a little.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]fulle[/nom]You still consider Toms a source of unbiased, actual news. I consider it a rumor mill, and hub that reports news that's been out for days. Oh noos! dissing a console might lead to a war /sarcasm. Relax a little.[/citation]

No I don't think this will lead to a war. Well maybe a flame war, but to applaud shoddy journalism is shameful, wether or not it coinsides with your own personal opinion.

killerb255

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
[citation][nom]fulle[/nom]*claps* You know what, Kevin Parrish, I found this amusing. At least you have the guts to have an opinion. Politically correct, sugar coated bullcrap annoys me even more than an article dripping with personal agenda and bias. So, fuck it. Microsoft should be ashamed of their hardware failure rate. The console obviously needs a redesign, and I couldn't write an article on this subject (not even a short one) that wasn't dripping with cynicism either.[/citation]

You can be unbiased and still tell it like it is without sugar-coating things.

Mr. Parrish chose not to do so...

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
[citation][nom]dannyaa[/nom]Wow, let's stick to news. This article is written with such heavy bias that it is inexcusable. This isn't reporting, it's a blog mixed in with a news story.[/citation]

QFT.

[citation][nom]killerb255[/nom]You can be unbiased and still tell it like it is without sugar-coating things.

Mr. Parrish chose not to do so...[/citation]

Exactly. If Kevin can't write articles without doing this, he needs to quit writing here...or at least quit writing about the 360. It is very unprofessional.

G

he should keep it up just to get hilarious reactions from xbox fanboys. someone even threw in a spanish civil war reference, hahaha

reporting on video games is on the same level as reporting about lindsey lohan. who gives a shit if it's biased

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
[citation][nom]steelseries[/nom]he should keep it up just to get hilarious reactions from xbox fanboys. someone even threw in a spanish civil war reference, hahaha[/citation]

Yeah, that response was pretty hilarious. But that kind of comment comes from fanboys regardless of topic, and reactions from fanboys should not determine the quality of the content.

[citation][nom]steelseries[/nom]reporting on video games is on the same level as reporting about lindsey lohan. who gives a shit if it's biased[/citation]

I disagree. We aren't looking for unprofessional opinion at Tom's Guide, we're looking for news and guides. In this context, news. However, this kind of reporting lacks professionalism, thereby making it less reputable, and thus less relevant. Professional opinion is fine, but this isn't Kevin's professional opinion--it is unprofessional opinion.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]bourgeoisdude[/nom]Yeah, that response was pretty hilarious. But that kind of comment comes from fanboys regardless of topic, and reactions from fanboys should not determine the quality of the content.[/citation]

Actually not a fanboy. I've critic like anyone else, I just have an issue with the Michael Moores of the world that pass off propoganda as "News"

anonymous x

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
I don't see all these bias complaints when there's an article regarding software piracy, even if the RIAA and MPAA are portrayed in a bad light.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I actually have a launch Xbox 360. I don't know that there are many left but I've had mine since the day it was released. I think the warranty is only valid for a couple more months. I guess I'm in the minority but I think the 54% is great over exaggerated. I only know one person who has gotten the RROD and I've lived on a college campus for the past three years.

copperbottoms

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009
I agree w/everyone else. Kevin Parrish: you need to grow your ass up and start being professional when you write for a high quality website like TH. I'm tired of seeing your personal opinions (which are usually highly toxic and always very subjective) in every article you write and on every topic you report on.

KEVIN PARRISH, KEEP YOUR MIND TO YOURSELF!

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Whats bias? The posts from Xbox users is what gives people this information. And the quotes from MS.

Its a fact, SONY has a SLIMMER PS3 now. And xbox is still a heat factory.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Here, let me show you how to write an article without bias in the reporting.

Aaron Greenberg says not to expect a 360 Slim

Microsoft's director of product management Aaron Greenberg told Kotaku in a recent interview that the company is quite happy with the Xbox 360 console.
"We feel like our system has done very well for us in the current form," he stated, and also said that "We have no plans for a slim."

He went on to say that between the NXE and Project Natal that the Xbox 360 has plenty of life left to it.

Given the recent reports of a failure rate of 54.2% do you, dear reader, believe that it is mistake not to redesign the console?

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
To speak more seriously about the content of the article rather than the wording, (TBH, a 54.2% failure rate is abominable regardless of the platform; I can't fault that, but some people LIKE the NXE dashboard; I certainly wouldn't call it "cheesy") it still disappoints me to see the console considered "not near the end of the lifespan."

This means either two things: either they're lying (a common tactic for console makers; Sony, and Nintendo as WELL as Microsoft claim they'll always love/support their old console, even a day right before they dump it in favor of the new one) or they believe it. It's quite possible, given this generation is effectively won by the less-potent Wii, that they may actually be telling the truth, and believe it.

This is highly problematic, given that as far as a comparison to a PC goes, the Xbox 360 is downright outdated. Unless you're playing a horribly-done console-to-PC port (*coughGTA4cough*) you can get comparable performance AND quality out of an old single-core CPU, a GeForce 8600GT, and a clean boot; the kind of system our elderly parents likely have BETTER than.

The huge PC-console gap wasn't much of a problem before, when consoles had an equally huge gap in resolution; when console games only ran at between 320x240-720x480, it was fine that they had 5-year-old graphics hardware; most of the difference could be easily covered by PC users using 1680x1050 with lots of AA and AF. But with the mandate of Microsoft for consoles to use at least 1024x576 to 1280x720, and requiring AA, that gap is at least half-closed; so for the most part, technological advancement is limited to a tiny handful of games, with most of the mainstream now looking severely dated on the PC, 'cuz that's what the console is limited to.

Also the Spanish Civil War and Spanish-American war are two ENTIRLEY different wars; the former took place in 1936-1939, when fascist forces led by Francisco Franco and others overthrew the democratic government, thanks to the help of Nazi Germany. (basically, it was the Nazis' warmup for WW2) The Spanish-American war was a brief conflict in 1898, when future-President Theodore Roosevelt launched a series of attacks the eviscerated the waning Spanish Empire, creating the American Empire. (think: Battle of Manilla Bay, and the Rough Riders' charge up San Juan Hill)

mikepaul

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
I'd expect him to say "We no longer build them in a way that dies 54% of the time. Why do you continue to harp on a figure that's no longer valid?".

My rebuilt 360 has lasted a lot longer than my original, doing more stuff now than that one did. Is that now considered just a fluke?...

davisorle

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
[citation][nom]Belardo[/nom]Found some neat photos of the new PS3.Some REALLY good pictures of the PS3 apart:http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2009 [...] dissected/The above compares the PSU and motherboards to the OLD PS3 as well. Sony sure makes a fancy PSU that isn't normally seen by the end user. And they compare it to a XBOX360 board... which looks like a mess.Some concept PS3-Slims : http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2009 [...] -pictures/A nice graphic showing ALL the current and last Gen Consoles together to compare sizes:http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2009 [...] t-so-slim/They brought up the SONY PS2 hardware emulator for the PS3... so perhaps SONY will later offer that for a download.Somewhere - someone pointed out that (making fun of Xbox) that the only thing MS did was make the power supply brick smaller. 5lbs > 3lbs. I noticed... the 360 doesn't say Microsoft on the console itself. Sigh, if only Commodore never put their stupid logo and stupidity onto the Amiga.[/citation]

Next time stick with the article instead of point out ppl to check on the console of your interest.. Plus all the things you say
1) the PS3 Slim appart is also 2 days old article in this site itself.. Keep oyur eyes open.
2) The BC for PS2 games on the PS3 will NEVER be brought back cause its EXACTLY as has been said from Sony itself when last asked. Stop talking about things that have been answered to you already... ffs

Other facts: PS3 Slim aint so slimmer than the 360 so its indeed not such a big deal for everyone that is aware of it neither out players ( dvd etc ) look any better if they were smaller than they look right now under our HDTVs. Smaller actually looks cheaper in a livingroom if you ask me in those cases. The 54% failure rating is a joke cause it was just a pole in a gamingsite from users online. Just as easily a fanboy will downrate ur posts cause he doesnt like you talking about MS or Sony was as easy to screw with the pole in there.. THINK before you talk. It's not embarassing to not go along with too many ppl cause they have the same stupid way of thinking.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
[citation][nom]mikepaul[/nom]I'd expect him to say "We no longer build them in a way that dies 54% of the time. Why do you continue to harp on a figure that's no longer valid?".My rebuilt 360 has lasted a lot longer than my original, doing more stuff now than that one did. Is that now considered just a fluke?...[/citation]
In all honesty, I think that the 54.2% figure is rather dubious; then again, I doubt a whopping 10% of PS3s or Wiis failed, either; I recall the figures being, respectively, closer to 18% and 5% or so; i.e, around 1/6 of Xbox 360s failing, and 1/20th of Wiis and PS3s failing.

As far as your "fixed" one, I don't think it's a fluke; the particularly infamous failure rate was largely restricted to the first generation of Xbox 360s; the "Xenon" ones, using 90nm parts; overheating (and damage from that) of the CPU/GPU was a chief cause of the infamous RROD. When they switched to smaller, cooler 65nm chips in the "Zephyr" revision, they also improved the cooling setup, which overall drastically cut down the heat issues that the 360 originally had. Back before Zephyr was a reality, I'd predicted that failure rates should be lower for it, and it turns out I was right.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
davisorle You're a meanine and you hurt my feelings. Do you like making people cry?!

1) - The discussion is still PS3 Slim with this post as the question to MS was about a smaller Xbox because.... (Drum roll) Sony releases a thinner PS3. *I* Included the link to show the VARIOUS sizes of the consoles which is within the context of this topic. I was looking for a comparison of the 360. Its a handy chart of 1200x1000 res image.

2) I could care less about BC. It was a side comment. If sony does it, they do it. Just like Sony said "no price reductions planned" as short as a week or so ago.

Other facts: PS3 Slim aint so slimmer than the 360 so its indeed not such a big deal for

Er... your facts are quite wrong... As shown on the chart and other websites including MS and Sony.

X360 = 8.3cm tall (if laid down - easier to load discs)
PS3S = 6.5cm tall So DO explain how 8.3cm is thinner than 6.5. Last I checked, 8 is bigger than 6.

Both don't compare to the 2.3cm PS2Slim.

If standing on its side (like a tower), the PS3S is a tad shorter.

"Smaller actually looks cheaper in a livingroom if you ask me in those cases."

First you guys complain that the PS3 is bigger than the PS3 (slightly)... and now you want it bigger? The Original Xbox easily bigger than the 360. So... you want to go back to Tube TVs?
Cell phones that were bigger than what we have today?

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
Or for that matter, how could it be stylish to run your music off of a tiny iPod nano, docked and hooked up to your speakers? If small=cheap-looking in the living room, I'm sure few people would WANT their audio system to be run by such a tiny device; they'd rather have a serious-looking giant box with the multi-CD changers... Like the ones that were so 1990s.

Status
Not open for further replies.