Microsoft's 'So.cl' Social Network Enters Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmaia

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
Facebook groups already fullfill such function. I don't think it'll have power to surpass even some dead social networks such as MySpace and Orkut, but who knows.

mrmaia

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
[citation][nom]Hovaucf[/nom]Some people can't read.[/citation]

Microsoft has described Socl as "an experimental research project focused on exploring the possibilities of social search for the purpose of learning." Users find and share interesting web pages with their networks as well as sharing 'rich posts' with montages of content.

So, how does it work? Searches are conducted through So.cl, which is powered by Bing, and results can then be arranged into collages and shared with other Socl users. Explaining the product and its applications in a learning environment, Microsoft last year explained that as students work together, they often search for the same items and discover shared interests by sharing links.

Classmates create FB groups EXACTLY for that. When they find relevant links, they post it on the group wall and so everyone share the knowledge. That's why So.cl won't grow past anyone - it's focused on a specific niche already covered by FB groups

WithoutWeakness

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
[citation][nom]mrmaia[/nom]Classmates create FB groups EXACTLY for that. When they find relevant links, they post it on the group wall and so everyone share the knowledge. That's why So.cl won't grow past anyone - it's focused on a specific niche already covered by FB groups[/citation]
Just like how Reddit and Pinterest have failed because Facebook already does those things.

Oh, wait...

randomizer

Distinguished
I took a quick gander and the home page had 13-odd pictures of children half to completely naked pissing on the road, trees and their pants. What a great site to spend time on during my lunch hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.