Migrate19 years of Yahoo Mail to Gmail asap

Status
Not open for further replies.

gyrogearloose

Estimable
Dec 15, 2014
I have attempted - many times - both recommended methods of migrating YahooMail to Gmail, neither has worked to date.

1. Standard Gmail Import Function - continuously stalls, crashes or simply 'freezes' but never completes. Out of over 100K emails I need to migrate I have only been successful using this method totaling 2.5K emails;

2. Thunderbird Migration method - using Thunderbird, creating 2 completely new accounts in Thunderbird, using 2 different browsers, clearing all history, cookies and cache in BOTH Thunderbird AND Yahoo - no joy. Again, continuously crashes, stalls or just freezes - I did manage to recover more than 9K emails but this is nowhere near good enough.. please advise?

Thanks in advance :pfff:

Solution
Setup Outlook to get your Yahoo email, download it to a PST file (make sure you set the "leave email on the server" option or it will move the email from the online server. Create a second email link to Gmail, copy the Yahoo email to Gmail email in Outlook. Will like take some time and hopefully there are no corrupt email that will hang up the process.
So you really need email from 19 years ago with your AOL dial up information. Lol.

At this point I don't know. Maybe it's too big for their import uses. Contact Google support see if they have an answer.

Could also be yahoos end as well.

gyrogearloose

Estimable
Dec 15, 2014

So you're thinking IMAP is the real problem here? I have heard others refer to that possibility but nothing definitive.. however; I was thinking of trying to put ALL yahoo mail into a NEW inbox in a new YAHOO account then exporting to gmail, it is more important for me to have the time&date and oriiginating domain than to have it all categorized by folder - I can write database queries later to separate into folders once its on gmail servers.

Setup Outlook to get your Yahoo email, download it to a PST file (make sure you set the "leave email on the server" option or it will move the email from the online server. Create a second email link to Gmail, copy the Yahoo email to Gmail email in Outlook. Will like take some time and hopefully there are no corrupt email that will hang up the process.

Solution

gyrogearloose

Estimable
Dec 15, 2014

gyrogearloose

Estimable
Dec 15, 2014
Thanks hang-the-9.. I'll give that a try, Outlook has been suggested as a trx medium before but I don't use or like Outlook so it's a learning curve too.. I'll let you know how it worked once I get back to it.. lots going on at the moment but thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.