Military's Multiple Kill Vehicle is Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Ummm, no they didn't. The DoD REQUESTED that the funding be removed. Don't you read your own articles?

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
I watched that video, the machine looks kinda useful… but how many rounds can it hold? (Not that it matters now)

onsiteone

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
On one hand I'm disappointed that this technology is now unavailable. On the other hand I'm relieved that something like this will not be available for nefarious purposes(?)

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
I have mixed feelings on this one. I am no pacifist, but that thing looks a little... too potent for my liking. The chance of accidental innocent deaths is high, and eliminating the chance of these accidents is almost impossible which would render the MKV useless. That said, the ability to take out a room full of hostiles without putting friendly soldiers in danger is nice. I guess this decision is for the best.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Obama didn't need to kill this and he didn't cancel the F22, the jets ordered before he became president are still being built. Geez. Oh yeah, Military budget is higher too that goes more to support the guys on the ground.

The MKV (if you look at the video) while is neat how it moves like a drone in Star Wars.... is not usable. Its a waste of money. The computer is doing a great job hovering with retro rockets.... but that device drinks fuel and way to noisy to be USABLE. 20 seconds. A normal prop drone with a guided bomb will do much better. Now when ANTI-GRAV is working and something from New Hope can be built that is near silent - WATCH OUT!

ViPr

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
this technology doesn't look so smart to me because why is it like digital instead of analog; i mean why are the jets either on or off and not have like a dimmer thingy. and look how it actually thrusts downwards sometimes; that's totally inefficient.

G

Unfortunately the author and most readers are a bit confused regarding the MKV. It is (or was) not a killer drone, unmanned fighter, or any other precursor to a future military android. Rather, MKV was to be a follow-on effort to the currently deployed missile defense system. Just like the currently deployed interceptors (like Patriot and the Ground-based missiles in Alaska) MKV was designed to be launched aboard a missile booster and maneuver to intercept an enemy incoming warhead. The video shows what looks to be a hovering mechanical drone - but really is a fairly standard test used for propulsion/steering. The "hover test" seen in the video was just to verify that the MKV could indeed operate it's steering motors as it would in outerspace as it flew in a trajectory to intercept an enemy nuclear warhead. It is a neat looking video, but the sounds you hear are simply rocket motors, not any sort of amunition or explosive.

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
LOL I'm sorry but that thing is scary looking. Even if it didn't fire rounds at an enemy, just the sight and sound of that thing would freak people out. All those little rockets blasting repeatedly off that thing to keep it in air is nuts.

I wasn't expecting to see a video of something so crude frankly. That looked like a home built experiment more than it did a secrete government project. LOL!

norbs

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
Looks like John Connor managed to travel to the past once again and somehow postpone judgment day... Phew.

Status
Not open for further replies.