Mininova: Over 8 Billion Downloads, Faces Court

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thegh0st

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
Bloodrayne 2...campy? You're giving it too much credit Kevin Parrish!

Try choking down the bonus footage. I don't think the maker's of that DVD have/had a grasp of the word "bonus" but they sure knew what "extra" was.

thegh0st

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
I should have added - the makers of that DVD probably put it up for download! lol It's probably not even really pirated, it's probably just the only way they can get more people to watch it after the initial DVD release! =) You know? Giving it away for free and all. (and yes I know this because I bought the DVD, I did not download it, it ranks amoung my worst DVD purchases)

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]Who plays DS games with an emulator? Doesn't that defeat the whole Touch-Screen and portability aspect of the hald-held nature of the DS?[/citation]

Nobody is playing DS games on an emulator. The downloads exist for use on a modded DS.

G

Its funny how people/the insiders/the industry always point to the torrenters when they make references to piracy and how its so out of control on the net, but you never hear *anyone* mention or complain about the dozens of terabytes of material that sits for months!! on pay-for commercial binary usenet servers. I wonder if its because of someone's perceived notion that any type of business or paid-for access is somehow more elite or legal than freely distributed pirated materials (Surely they couldn't be using the services themselves?!).

Nothing against binaries at all (*eg*), but I'm tired of hearing the torrenters get all the blame from people seeking easy and ultimately empty legal settlements, people without the balls to point the finger at a mass of entrenched not-totally-innocent profiteers and/or people looking to get an easy shine on their egos careers or political points of view by going after the easy target(s).

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]hixbot[/nom]Nobody is playing DS games on an emulator. The downloads exist for use on a modded DS.[/citation]
Nope, there are people that play DS games on an emulator. There are multiple working DS emulators out there.

[citation][nom]spommick[/nom]Its funny how people/the insiders/the industry always point to the torrenters when they make references to piracy and how its so out of control on the net, but you never hear *anyone* mention or complain about the dozens of terabytes of material that sits for months!! on pay-for commercial binary usenet servers.[/citation]

Exactly. Sites like rapidshare and megaupload actually host illegal content. And I know many people that much prefer them over torrents.

Elsapo

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
[citation][nom]garborg[/nom]I still don't see why someone doesn't just set up a large torret site on some Carribian island where there is no international law.[/citation]

hey we have laws

G

bandwidth caps. Yes, that the spirit! why not limit the times you can read a physical newspaper also? After 3 readings it starts to burn!

Wait, I got an even better Idea. Everybody MUST get all their news and information from a government/movie&music-company controlled media channel!

Bye, Bye democracy!

dizzy_11

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
Hahaha, I'm so happy that we in holland do not have those '90 download limits on our broadband connections ;).
Also, downloading is still legal...

Really, it is time the music and movie industry sees that the exorbitant prices that have been payed for their products so far are no longer their value. Movies and music have become so "normal" to everyone that you cannot expect to get this much money for it. And honestly... don't we think it is getting kinda insane?
Movies with budgets higher than some country's complete national income... And the managers having to choose between their 5 mercedes's...

The world has changed friends, even if you do not like to admit it. Illegal downloading will continue, maybe in a different form, but it will untill prices are accepted by the masses again...

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
[citation][nom]hixbot[/nom]Nobody is playing DS games on an emulator. The downloads exist for use on a modded DS.[/citation]

No$gba makes a DS emulator, so yes there are people using emulators to play the games. I have met plenty of people in online chat that are either too cheap to buy a DS or are just plainly too cheap to buy a flash cart for their DS and want to play it on an emulator instead.

I haven't used mininova in maybe 2 years. If that site goes, there's many others out there anyway. But I think it would be a big blow to torrents since it is as popular or more popular than piratebay.

Also by the media talking about these sites, it exposes more people to different ways to pirate. I think they would be better off keeping their mouth shut because you know they aren't going to shut either of these sites down.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
I wonder if it'd be possible to reinvent a BBS system utilizing something other than the internet to connect to .... a private internet of sorts using some other technology that the isp isn't required to monitor once the ipred virus spreads to other countries privacy protection systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.