Mitsubishi WD73735 TV projection bulb cracked, after putting in new chip

Rayroshi

Estimable
Mar 21, 2015
Okay, so after experiencing the screen-covered-with-white-dots problem, I followed the instructions found on YouTube for installing a new chip into my WD73735 TV, which seemed pretty straight-forward; however, after reassembling everything and turning it back on, it wouldn't light up at all. I kept getting error code "18". Upon pulling the projection bulb (which is pretty new) out, I found that it was cracked. Any idea what could've caused this? During the whole process, there was never any force/pressure involved in any way, to the projection bulb. I was very slow, methodical, and careful about the whole removal and installation process. The bulb had been working, prior to this, so it's a real mystery.

One other note: After turning the TV back on, I heard a very faint "pulsing" sound coming from within the set; kinda hard to describe, though. I had never heard that sound, before, so I dunno if it is related to the problem or not. It made me think that something might be shorting.

Also, I just realized that the new chip did not have a little thermal conducting pad stuck to it, like the old one had, which means I need to disassemble the whole thing again and transfer that little pad from the old chip to the new one, I guess.

I really don't want to invest the money in a new bulb, if there's a good chance that something within the set in now just going to be blowing out bulbs.

One more question: I would be willing to try putting in one of the cheaper bulbs which I've seen on Amazon, costing about $25, to see if it pops, too, but am really hesitant to spend the amount ($85 + shipping) I see online for the original bulbs. Is that a reasonable idea or are such cheaper bulbs just "knock-off" bulbs, and not worth the investment? What would you do in that case? At this point, after having the TV for ten years and recently spending $200 on a new chip, plus putting in an $85 bulb only a few weeks ago, I'm beginning to think that maybe I should just go buy another TV.

Any helpful thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Rayroshi

Estimable
Mar 21, 2015

Hi. Thanks for your thought, but, no, I didn't touch the bulb. I'm aware of that possibility. And it wouldn't have been possible to have accidentally touch the bulb, because it resides inside of a sealed enclosure, making it out of my grubby fingers' reach.

By the way, as an side note, I just realized that the thermal conducting pad was installed, actually. I now remember that it was still stuck to the heat sink, after removing the heat sink, so it was not a problem. I even checked with a friend who was helping me at the time, and he, too, remembers it being stuck to the heat sink.

Thanks again for your time and trouble.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Laptop Tech Support 1
emrahhdr Laptop Tech Support 2
MrChaks Laptop Tech Support 1
TTEUZ Laptop Tech Support 1
B Laptop Tech Support 2
M Laptop Tech Support 1
M Laptop Tech Support 1
K Laptop Tech Support 1
J Laptop Tech Support 1
K Laptop Tech Support 5