Mixing Ram Voltages?

Si Le Monde

Estimable
Jan 29, 2015
I recently bought a new laptop and to replace my existing laptop and I want to increase the ram in my new laptop. I was thinking of taking the ram from my old laptop and putting it in my new laptop to increase the ram instead of buying another stick of 8gb. The sticks of ram from both laptops have the same specs other than voltage. The laptop I want to add ram to is using 1.35v and the old laptop ram is 1.50v. The new laptop has a 4th gen i7 and the old laptop has a 2nd gen i5. I assume that is why they have different voltages. Can I mix voltages? Thanks for your time! I appreciate your help!

Solution
You can't "Mix" them. either both will be 1.35v or both will be 1.5v. I actually did this before and just had my low volt dimm run at 1.5v. It didn't cause any problems luckily.

If you can't change it in the Bios like I couldn't than it will run at the default speeds of 1333 and whatever voltage at is. so 1.5v..

iamacow

Estimable
Feb 11, 2015
You can't "Mix" them. either both will be 1.35v or both will be 1.5v. I actually did this before and just had my low volt dimm run at 1.5v. It didn't cause any problems luckily.

If you can't change it in the Bios like I couldn't than it will run at the default speeds of 1333 and whatever voltage at is. so 1.5v..

Solution