Miyamoto Says Wii is Already Maxed Out

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
No surprise here. It was developed as a budget alternative to the other hardware/graphically heavy consoles. If super mario bros taxes the system too much than it doesn't matter how great the game is if it is unplayable.

G

Doesn't matter what MS and Sony come out with in this gen for motion control, the games won't follow because...

1) Not everyone will buy a motion controller
2) If everyone doesn't buy a motion controller then developers won't code many games for it.
3) If developers don't publish many games then people won't buy the motion controller. (go to step 1)
The next gen things will be different if the next Xbox and PS come with motion control as standard, but that it years away and nintendo can release a new console long before as they are in the black.

kezusto

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
geez!!! I got a Wii for Xmas the year it came out and I'll tell you what...boring. A year later I got an Xbox 360 and I've spent far more time playing GAMES on the Xbox 360. My game collection on the 360 more than double of what I have for the Wii. I haven't even gotten to finish a game on the Wii because it's not for ME. Try to port a game like Fallout 3 to the Wii and see what kind of quality you're going to get. Some of us want HD graphics and depth in games. My experience with the Wii is woohoo..I'm waving a remote control around but in the end I'm bored with it. It sure is good for watching Pocoyo on Youtube with my 2 yr old son. That's the only use it gets now.

etrnl_frost

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
It would surprise me that any gamer who had been playing consoles and PC's extensively would see this as a quip against Nintendo. Although the Wii is more limited, every console has its limitations. As Miyamoto said, since the 8 bit days, part of being a programmer is fitting what you want into the specs of the hardware. Because you're working with established hardware that can not be upgraded, you're always going to be limited with what you can do. It's not quite as pervasive on the PC (see Crysis), but even there there are limitations.

Could the SMB have been more? Perhaps. Has that stopped good games in the past? Could SMB III been more? Could Final Fantasy VII have been more? Halo 3? The answer to all of these is yes. Yet, I don't think anyone who has played and enjoyed these games really cared when these came out.

G

I think the point that is being missed by many of the people here is that games are primarily for children and that the Wii is MUCH better at supporting the real gaming market (children) than the violence on the other consoles could ever do.

You can have the death and smut, we'll keep Mario!

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Jeese people. You say that future technology (XBox and PS3 controllers) will make the technology that released with the Wii two years ago look foolish. I certainly hope thats the case, because otherwise Microsoft and Sony aren't paying attention.

That would be like ragging on Nintendo because their NES was only 8-bits and ran off ROM cartridges, which, compared to the 128-bit PS3 and its Blu-Ray is just pathetic.

Face it, Nintendo innovates, people copy. Once everyone copies, of course the originator doesn't look as good, but Ninendo will continue innovating, and Microsoft and Sony will continue copying.

G

I think what people forget is that there is a console for everyone and each one has its own advantages and disadvantages. If nothing else the wii has force developers to write better code across the board. With out limitations there would be no reason to streamline code of find was to do the same thing with less. there are many companies out there that expect the hardware to do what they want while having bloated software right to the core and made it alot bigger then what is needed to do the job. Once stream lined that same approach can be used on other more powerful consoles and make those machines do even more.

Vettedude

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
When Sony and Microsoft get their motion controllers, the Wii is in trouble. PS3 and 360 hardware can play cheesy family games, but the Wii can't play hardcore games like the PS3 and 360 can. The 360 is now affordable, and the PS3 is getting closer.

magicandy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2008
[citation][nom]my_name_is_earl[/nom]The new Sony motion controller make the Wii look like it's still in development. This year E3 is definitely quite interesting. Mario you say? Well, I got over it and so should you. Nintendo can't quite think of any blockbuster game other than casual.[/citation]

Yeah I'm gonna go ahead and assume you haven't played a single recent 1st party Nintendo game.

G

He said,(And I quote)"Its has NOTHING to do with the wii itself,making an 8-BIT GAME with the basic tool sets(meaning the way you play the game)creates limitations.I doubt the wii has been pushed to it true limit.Remember "Metroid M:Other M?" How can you even think that! Besides,HVS(The creators of,the Conduit,Grinder and Gladiator A.D) does soooo much on wii! HVS said that their game called "Grinder" will feature up to "65" enemies on screen at once! So I really doubt that the wii reached it limit.He probably "Forgot!" to input the online mode and now its too late to be put in.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nomFace it, Nintendo innovates, people copy. Once everyone copies, of course the originator doesn't look as good, but Ninendo will continue innovating, and Microsoft and Sony will continue copying.[/citation]

So what has Nintendo innovated beyond the motion controller, which probably wasn't even their idea first they were just first to market with it, hmmm?

That's like saying Blizzard innovates, lol.

ravenware

Distinguished
May 17, 2005
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]its always the weakest console coming out on top. happened with the ps2 last gen, the plays tation bet the n64 and the slow SNES bet the faster sega Genesis.as for the wii programmers always find ways to squeeze more out of the hardware they are given. saying the wii is maxed out with no proof is just stupid. only Nintendo knows how much the console can do[/citation]

Well that is quite right, the SNES was noticeably more powerful than the Genesis.

But believe what he is getting at is that a console is only as good as its developers. A clear example of this would be the PS2, quite underpowered compared to the Gaycube and the xbox; but with a gargantuan list of programmers they were able to milk that console for all it was worth; hell it is still on the market today almost 9 years later.

Mach5Motorsport

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2003
[citation][nom]my_name_is_earl[/nom]The new Sony motion controller make the Wii look like it's still in development. This year E3 is definitely quite interesting. Mario you say? Well, I got over it and so should you. Nintendo can't quite think of any blockbuster game other than casual.[/citation]

Oh gee the Sony controller is better?

Wow, for a $400 system it OUGHT TO BE. Then again the Wii system has been out for a few years now so it looks like Sony got pwnd for years by the innovative Wii.

Mach5Motorsport

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2003
[citation][nom]foxyg[/nom]@hellwig, doesn't matter how much Nintendo make, the next console from them is going to be as cheesy and the games are going to be as kiddy as always.[/citation]

You're right. (sarcasm comming) After all, EVERYONE was prediting that the Wii would be the #1 console system sold and would kill the PS3...sheesh.

Go back to playing metal gear solid.

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
Let's face it, compared to Desktop PCs, ALL CONSOLES use yester-year's technology anyhow. The processors and GPUs in these machines are dated to begin with. They only play modern games with relatively high resolution capability because they ONLY play games. There's no additional OS related garbage on board. So the CPU/GPU/RAM/ETC is focused on one single task.

To boot, the programmers design the game specifically for that specific set of hardware, and thereby can optimize the tar out of it.

This is specifically why some of us like to play video games on desktop PCs, because we can spend money for upgrades and try to stay at the bleeding edge.

thecusith

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
"So what has Nintendo innovated beyond the motion controller, which probably wasn't even their idea first they were just first to market with it, hmmm?"

Actually, Nintendo has created many innovations we can all be thankful for. The D-pad? Nintendo. The analog thumbstick? Nintendo. Controllers with rumble? Nintendo. And, while they did not create motion control videogames, they did bring them to the masses with great success. Now MS and Sony are trying. I see nothing wrong with it, games will just get better for us.

Give Nintendo a little respect. Just a little. ;D

option350z

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]its always the weakest console coming out on top. happened with the ps2 last gen, the plays tation bet the n64 and the slow SNES bet the faster sega Genesis.as for the wii programmers always find ways to squeeze more out of the hardware they are given. saying the wii is maxed out with no proof is just stupid. only nintendo knows how much the console can do[/citation]

Actually no, the hardware manufacturers know how much the console can take. The thing is they just name the product, they don't produce it. To be honest the developers know more than Nintendo/Sony/MS. The hardware is used by them to create games.

mitzz

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
We know that the wii doesn't have the greatest hardware, we knew that when they launched their system cheaper than any other on the market. I don't think this xbox vs sony vs nintendo fight belongs here. But I will dive into this a little bit, each has their own draw points to each of them. For the majority of them it falls under which age group the main user is. Personally I own both a xbox 360 and a wii, yes I play the xbox more because I enjoy shooters and rpg's. However, the wii's motion control I do tend to enjoy from time to time, for example playing a golf game on it is simply a pleasure.

Status
Not open for further replies.