Mobile Operators Want a Nokia Lumia 900 with Android

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hackholm

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
Maybe if Android wasn't such a poorly written P.O.S. OS it could run on a single core, but it's not.

And it was ONE Android phone that won by turning off the lock screen. Who the fuck turns off their lock screen? But, in the end M$ should have ponied up the winnings, even if the test wasn't real world conditions.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Well if they want Android running on a Lumia, I want Windows Phone on my Droid Bionic. I like my Bionic, and the Android is ok, much better than iOS which I have on my iPod Touch and a previous iPhone, but I am sick and tired of apps that start when you haven't started them, apps that don't have exit buttons so they still run in the background unless you do a force close through a task killer. I know the Windows smartphone beta commercials are humor, but it does sort of feel like somewhat the truth.

I think part of the issue is that the hardware specs on the Android phones are better than what the Lumia 900 has. Perhaps people are right, that Android is poorly coded to the point it needs the extra power, but people are going to see that Android based phones have 1GB of RAM whereas the Lumia 900 has only 512MB and will think they can not do as much. Perception does play into things.

Another thing that would be a good idea is if they made a Lumia where you could replace the battery. I have no idea why so many phone manufacturers are following this awful Apple example of sealed battery compartments. The reason I bought the Bionic over the Razr was because they were essentially identical hardware wise (Bionic has a 1.0GHz CPU and the Razr a 1.2GHz CPU) but I can replace the battery myself, not have to send in my phone and get a Verizon "certified like crap" replacement simply because my battery needs changing.

I really hope Nokia and Microsoft do well with Windows phones. The market needs some more competition because the lines are pretty well drawn. Apple fans will never switch no matter how badly an Apple product is and most others won't touch an Apple product at all. If Windows phones become popular, it will force Android to make the OS a lot better. Competition is always a win/win for a consumer.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]JeTJL[/nom]It's Starting to look like WP7 is going the way of the DoDo bird.Shame... It's really good compared to Android and Apple, just that like Betamax it's not as widely received by many people. The only person I know that has a WP7 is my dad and everyone else I know uses either an Android or an Iphone.[/citation]
Actually if you read a lot of reports, it's selling very well in the US. Amazon even sold out of them.

koss64

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
Windows Phone 7 is a fast and sleek OS that does'nt require a dual core processor to run(seriously a dual core processor on phone!?). When I was looking for a new smartphone I went through the gamut of IOS(too expensive),WebOS(Dead for all intents on purposes while it met my needs) , Android(too fragmented) and Windows Phone 7(I cant sync files directly and smart dialing is gone). Eventually I chose the Dell Venue Pro as it had Office and a Keyboard and I grew to love zune(after putting it on my desktop). I got free apps to plug the holes I had and ending up chucking some I thought I would need(like that smart dialing app,I found that voice dialing works just fine).My girlfriend cant stop using my phone to play games and such and now she tells me she wants a Lumia and asking me why I didnt get that in the first place(again, keyboard and it wasnt unlocked at the time). The Lumia seems to have pull, its a good looking phone and the ones that are coming with Tango are going to be dirt cheap(which is what drew me to the Lumia 710 in the first place). Nokia has a good product , they just need to make more fun of a phone needing two cores to run a mobile OS.

70camaross396

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
The problem is not the OS or even the Phone hardware. The problem is poor marketing and application availability. Microsoft needs to do 4 things in order to gain market share.

1. Make the WP7/8 developer kit free and available to everyone.
2. Don’t take a percentage of application developer sales from their app store.

That is 30% more cash in the developer’s pockets compared to IPhone/android markets and they dont have the expense of buying the SDK for another OS. These 2 major changes will give developers incentive to leave IPhone/Android markets for WP7.

3. Advertise. I haven’t seen a marketing campaign for any of the Nokia phones at all here in the US and it has been at least 6 months since I have seen an advertisement for windows phone 7.
4. Their target market should be businesses. Apple's IPhone dominates the hipster/kiddy market and is absolute crap for business. Android is a much better fit for business, but is still lacking, and it also depends on the manufacturers implimentation of android, some droids work great for business others are complete piles or crap. Blackberry is great at business but its OS severely out dated, has very little 3rd party app support and the licensing cost of a BES server is outrageous and unnecessary since Microsoft has active sync.

if you have a great business phone, that can also use the web and play games and download apps, then you will have a winner. I am using a Samsung Focus. so far i only have a couple of complaints.

1. you should never have to download an app to change your ringtones. thats just dumb. my old winMobile 6 phone could do this. so i am sure its a carrier restriction. only a phone company would be dumb enough to require this.

2. removeable storage. my focus has a slot for a micro SD card but it is nonfunctional with any standard microSD cards. you have to buy special card for it. thats just dumb. i want to install apps on an SD card so if i break my phone i can buy a new one, insert the card and still have my stuff! I can understand the concerns about priacy, but they have taken it to the point of impacting usability.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I bought a Galaxy Nexus back in January, and while it is pretty awesome if I was in the market today I'd buy the Nokia 900. Android is a decent OS (better than iOS), but from the couple of people that I know that did buy a 900, Windows Phone OS looks really good. There aren't a ton of apps, but those will come.

fracture

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
I don't get it. Just buy a phone with better hardware that already has Android on it. What's so cool about the Lumia 900's hardware that you have to have it with Android?

_TuxUser_

Honorable
Feb 10, 2012
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]Isn't the Lumia line the most successful windows phone on sale?[/citation]

Yes, it is, but all the other WP models are loosing market shares, so the joint effort by microsoft and Nokia to sell the Lumia phones have failed to increase the market share for microsoft (still ~2.4%). The issue is more microsoft, they are slow on developing the OS, they try to push operators, which the operators dislike, microsoft bought skype and the operators don't like competition with cheap phone calls and the OS has lack of features compared with Nokia phones from year 2000.
The whole cooperation between microsoft and Nokia has only giving a dying OS a little bit longer life and made Nokia to loose most of it's market share and alienated the major operators in the big markets.
For Nokia it had been best to not cooperate with microsoft, but spent more time on MeeGo and released some great phones like the N9 on all the markets.

bhaberle

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
I think most people who wanted a Lumia waited for the 900. This article doesn't have as much merit now though since the new article about it selling out. =P

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
" People bought the iPhone because how it functions, not just because it was apple... okay, some did."

I tried to see the positive side of having an iPhone because of how it functioned, but finally chose the Samsung Galaxy S2. I could not get past the iPhone's lack of flash support and lack of java support, not to mention its tiny screen and lack micro sd card slot. I must admit that I found the Apple logo a little vulgar given the vast number of technologically preliterate clueless zombies that define themselves through it. Anyway I am happy with my choice and might even consider a Windows phone especially if I can dual boot it to Android as I feel.

G

I am not a software developer or cell phone expert, but after years with my Blackberry's,
I LOVE the Lumia 900. What is not to like??!! My wife has the I phone 4S and I
am not impressed. These are just my unbiased opinions!!!! Try it...you will like it!

Status
Not open for further replies.