mobile video card

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

piratepast40

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
Cyberat - I was referring to the hybrid crossfire feature with the Puma platform (IGP and discrete GPU crossfire) and the new XGP (PCIe 2) interface that allows use of an external video card. Those only work with Vista.

The title of the thread is "mobile video card" and there have been significant technology advances since it was started.

Cyberat

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
Hi, :bounce:

piratepast40 - thanks, that maybe a bypass solution good to know, but I doubt my Fujitsu Laptop is capable & it is socket M, so cpu upgrade from the T5500 will not take me far enough to make it a decent laptop for games. Besides, like I was trying to explain, I'm not at all satisfied with Vista for other reasons.
I have an XP system, would've liked to downgrade the laptop to XP, like that other user wrote, but no dice.
I'll see how Wine works on Linux, run what games I can run on the laptop.
Did some research for an XP micro gamebox with all external drives, comes to about $4000+ without monitor.
Not in my near future for now. :ouch:

CJL - Microsoft is the biggest waste of hardware you can find, which is why I am questioning core 2 duo performance. Will do some research on that too. What do you mean by mobility ? Transfering your system to another PC ? Ghost will do that. Like I said in my previous post, no desirable features, no hardware advantages. In the meanwhile people, get Linux, Microsoft copied Mac looks and realized Linux gives away free software, but guess what ? You still need to pay for applications like Office Suite, Frontpage, Money (or some other financial program), FTP, IRC - where you can get it in Linux for FREE, plus many more goodies for geeks, freaks, gamers & leets. Novell's package is comprehensive, runs Red Hat, while Ubuntu is the latest Debian with an excellent install system.

Calling all rebels Fight the MSN Empire !!! :sol:
:hello:

cjl

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
Nope, I mean the wide variety of power configuration options, as well as the presentation settings and many similar features.

As for transferring to another PC, Windows Vista will do that too, and Ghost costs $50. As for paying for FTP or IRC? Not at all. FTP is included, and there are a number of good IRC programs for free. I use Virc. OpenOffice works on Vista, though I've tried it and found Office 2007 to be far more powerful for what I do (it helps that I got the full Office 2007 suite for $20). Also, I don't see how you can't call DX10 a hardware advantage.

Honestly, I somewhat doubt whether you've actually tried Vista for any reasonable length of time on a decent system.

Cyberat

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
CJL or should I say Mr. Tie Fighter :lol:

I haven't met the person yet that could show me needs to use Office 2007 vs. Office 2000 other than "oooh got to have the latest, it got flashier buttons, it's da bomb". So that may be in detrimental of my argument, but throw me a few pointers of what you HAVE TO HAVE in Office 2007 that you cannot find in any other app. including WordPerfect Suite. OpenOffice is not the only one that you can get Free for Linux. I didn't call DX10 an advantage, just said it's not a disadvantage for XP, as it can run it.
I'm just doing this for argument's sake I am past "trying" Vista, ok I may upgrade your title to Tie Interceptor because you are relentless. Hahaha. Tell me how you got it for $20 ?????? So you agree Vista does not have everything out of the box. The free apps. you got did not come with Vista or mfg. by MS.
I don't need a "decent" system if the OS was efficient and compatible, you already buying the MS concept of
discarding tech. in exchange for inefficiency, slow performance & mediocre choices, but hey why not pay for an upgrade patch next year ?
XP offered support for Hyperthreading processors, Duo Core & more memory vs. Windows 2000, 64bit OS & easier network setup which came with a lot of insecure holes and bad defaults but that is the hardware advantage I am talking about. Keep in mind XP had its hardware/software incompatibilities as well, including some Creative Labs sound cards (sheesh). I don't want to even see the VISTA hardware list......yikes !!!
Does anyone remember how amazingly efficient the Commodore 64 was ?
Yeah demands and performance multiplied, but efficiency is in the dumpster thanks largely to Microsoft.
IBM had a very efficient GUI, at least 50% over MSW, it was called OS/2 Warp, do the masses know this ?
No and they don't deserve it, go back to your Victory Class Destroyer & report you won another battle,
remember to bring a fat wallet always. May the pork be with you.

Hah. :kaola:

cjl

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
I can show you right now why I need Office 07 - I'm currently (for my job) working on a 240 thousand line spreadsheet. Excel 2003 runs out at 65536.

As for Creative stuff, their drivers are known garbage. Don't blame XP for crap driver support. As for $20? It's through a program where employees of some companies can get it for home use (the full version) for $20. I can get cheap (though not quite as cheap) copies of Windows too.

As for decent system, the main point is RAM. As I said, I dual booted XP and Vista for a while, and Vista actually runs faster on a good system (it isn't just a linear performance scale). XP is better if you are short on RAM, but on a fast system, due to superfetch and various other new additions in Vista, Vista actually runs faster than XP.

Cyberat

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
CJL

Ok, fair enough on the office 2007.

Vista benchmark speeds however are in the dirt vs. XP.
The ONLY way you can even compare them is on the same hardware specs.
Don't tell me Vista with 4gb ram Core 2 Duo 3.0 ghz runs faster than XP 1gb ram P4 3.0 ghz, that is not a comparison. The ONLY Benchmarks that Vista beat XP on the same Core 2 Duo processor was in 64 bit.
Any OS incapable of handling the most compatible sound cards in the world that is Creative Labs is a stupidly designed OS. With the mentality of encouraging more money spending on new hardware. You must be what they
call a tax & spend liberal. Not to take political sides here.

Fight the Microsoft Empire !!! :sol:

cjl

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
Creative sound cards the best in the world in compatibility? What a joke. It is not Microsoft's fault if drivers are crap. CREATIVE writes the drivers for their sound cards, not Microsoft, and as a result, Creative is to blame when their drivers do not work. Actually, Creative's cards are some of the most poorly supported and in general worst sound cards you can buy as far as compatibility is concerned. (this didn't stop me from getting an X-fi though, which so far seems to work all right in Vista, despite the lack of any drivers even remotely recently).

As for speed comparisons, every test I ran was either equal, or in Vista's favor on this machine. That is dual boot, XP on one partition, Vista on another. That is 4 gigs of RAM, C2D @ 2.33GHz, good graphics card, etc.

Cyberat

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
CJL - much like religious people & potheads, you are unable to accept what is not confirming your beliefs & lie to cover up. I will not post anything more on this subject, it does not fit the thread here. It's not my fault you work for Microsoft directly or indirectly, I feel sorry for you. Don't try to justify a dead OS, with dillusions of grandure.

Don't Buy Vista or use it cause it's free, choices exist today !
:pfff: :fou:

brando_vw

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2008
sorry if i'm bringing this back from the dead, but one aspect where Vista shines over XP is on the 64 bit side. Vista x64 really outperforms XP64. Even from a stability standpoint. I'm a mechanical design engineer, and with our CAD software at work we deal with extremely large assemblies with 1,500+ individual piece parts in our assembly models. Our workstations have decent hardware and plenty of memory (at least 4gig, some 8gigs). We've run XP pro, XP64, and Vista32 and Vista64. Vista64 dominates! It's faster and much more stable. Keep in mind that at the time i'm writing this service pack 1 has already been out for a while for Vista. Many earlier posts may have reflected views of vista pre-sp.

Don't get me wrong, i'm a huge Linux fan, and certainly don't mind Mac, but I'm at the mercy of certain CAD applications.

Cheers!