Moderately good gaming laptop

TheJohns

Distinguished
May 30, 2011
1. What is your budget?
$600-800

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
At least 15" preferable

3. What screen resolution do you want?
Whatever's good

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable

5. How much battery life do you need?
2-3 hours

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
"Enough to play Diablo 3 at a medium setting at 60 FPS" seems like a good guideline THIS IS IMPORTANT

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Other than Internet and word processing and such, nothing really

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
At least 500 GB

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
~3 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
Standard DVD is fine

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

13. What country do you live in?
USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

What kind of hardware is going to take to run Diablo 3 the way you want?

TheJohns

Distinguished
May 30, 2011

I guess what I really meant is "Diablo 3 at a Medium setting", and I definitely don't mean "you CAN play it on a medium setting, but at <15 FPS".

My old laptop barely handles League of Legends at the lowest setting at 15 FPS, and I doubt it will do any better with Diablo 3.

edit1754

Distinguished
May 14, 2012
I would advocate against buying either the ASUS A53 or the Lenovo Y570, because they have 15.6" displays with 1366x768 resolution. 15.6" 1366x768 displays limit multitasking and productivity because they make things onscreen large, and they tend to have poor image quality due to low contrast. I don't recommend this type of display to those who have a budget that allows them to get a laptop that has a better display and at the same time suits their needs, and who don't require large text for eyesight-related reasons.

Consider the HP DV6-6C53NR, for $799 on microsoftstore.com. It has a faster GPU and a better display than both of them, and it sits right inside your budget at $799.

HP DV6-6C53NR (i5-2450M, Radeon 7690M, 15.6" 1920x1080 matte display) - $799 (unsure if tax applies) - Make sure that you go into the BIOS and change the switchable graphics settings from DYNAMIC to FIXED.