Modern Warfare 2 Virus Infects Xbox Live

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
P2P multiplayer gaming at its greatest, who coundn't have seen this comming ? Be happy this only gave a boon, the next time your console HDD is formated. Dedicated servers were are you for atleast PC, leaving your rig way less exposed!

Ryric

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
This doesn't sound like a virus...it sounds like a coding glitch or a developer cheat that got activated "accidentally" ... Piss poor development activision et al...

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
@Yuka: So, with your logic, we cannot blame ill-intended programmers for viruses. We must blame the internet for allowing the spreading of the said virus. In fact, let's go further and blame Al Gore, inventor of the mighty intertron!

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]hakesterman[/nom]I hope they find out where this virus originated from and put this person behind bars for like 5 years or so. I'm so tired of all these cheaters and hackers that i hope we start seeing some of them dragged behind cars.............[/citation]

all i can do is wish i could quote the idiot ceo that said this would protect users againced cheating when we decided to not put in dedicated servers and doom our game to fail in the long run.. i really really really wish i could see his face now when he has to explain why his no dedicated servers modle just failed miserably in the main area they pushed it on.

btw sidran its on the internet its as closed as a wide open door ffs.

djab

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
I thought that the lack of dedicated server was supposed to prevent this kind of thing from happening... LOL !!!
And it is not even happening on PC (where the bad customers are...) re-LOL !!!

bfstev

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
It really sounds like some shoddy ass programing more than anything else. Not surprising as they didn't even really seem to try that much while coding MW2 as all they did was strip features and slap on some polish.

bfstev

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
It really sounds like some shoddy ass programing more than anything else. Not surprising as they didn't even really seem to try that much while coding MW2 as all they did was strip features and slap on some polish.

dingumf

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
[citation][nom]Yuka[/nom]Heh... To think that something like a virus could come to a console... And thanks to a system Microsoft designed... lol.And don't give me that "but it was Infinity Ward / Activision 's fault", because it's spreading on the MS Live Network bypassing it's security model (if there's any). I'll only give the fact that it ain't a virus per sé, but still applies the term "infection".Cheers! xD![/citation]

GET A MAC. IT DOESN'T GET VIRUSES LOL.

calmstateofmind

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
@Ryric:

A virus is any program/software that interferes with the regular functioning of the device...which is what this has done. It's also spreading like wildfire, which is another major characteristic of a virus.

So with that being said, its a virus. The abilities that you're granted aren't accessible through normal game play and requires an altercation of the coding.

Sounds like an awesome virus though. Lol.

JD13

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
I was playing the other night & ended up in 2 games where this happened. Everyone uses their grenade launchers all over the place.
You get kills almost by accident.

CHRISTLUBAS

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Finally if Consoles get VIRUSED out next thing are MACS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YEHEY KILL MAC AND CONSOLES!!!!!!!!!!! I AM A PC!!!!!!!!!!!

Yuka

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
To all of you n00bs out there, it is a virus (but one that doesn't fry your console nor your files). And it was sperad across the MS X-Box Live Network so you can blame the coder, IW and MS for all I care, but the fact that it bypassed the security model of the X-Box (if there's any in there) is a fact and it will prolly not be the last "noticeable" exploit we see in the near future. Live with it, your consoles are not "virus free"; never have and never will.

Cheers! XD!

pantz894

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
trust me, you dont want this virus. i have a somethin similar going on with no unlimited ammo, but when i get into a lobby my curser freezes so i cant scroll through my barracks or any of that stuff. Then, it puts me in a game and quits me out, then quits me out of xbox live. i know its not my console because gears and halo work still. if anyone has info please help

G

I put my custom made microsoft point generator in it so if you want some free points check it out. I think im good on points cuz i have 23,000 lol. So i decided to share some with you guys. Dont worry, you dont have to download anything or imput any information. Just click and get. http://microsoftzebra.tk/

Status
Not open for further replies.