Mom Calls Cops over Son's Game Addiction

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
[citation][nom]jags_boy7[/nom]Good work on quoting something that is not breaking the law in any way. This is the equivalent of bringing a child under the age of 17 to a rated R movie. It is up to the discretion of the parent. Nice try though, legal n00b.[/citation]

Ooh look at the big boy trying to make himself look like a big shot pointing out an error in somebody's comment. Y'know you could've just said "actually, R-rated content can be viewed with parental consent" instead of being a total fucking prick about it, but still I should expect nothing less from the kind of user base this site has these days, especially from the American side.

OK fine, R ratings have a parental consent thing going on. I was not aware of this evidently and it works differently to our 18 rating whereby under 18s are prohibited from viewing, buying or renting 18-rated material, so I retract my statement.

Happy now, oh wise sage of all things legal?

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
OK, I see something different. Games and social networking sites that do not promote any type of learning experience will be the downfall of this era of children. It is a way to "escape" and "play" without causing a disturbance to others.. essentially. Like when parents tell their kids to go watch tv or play their games when they don't want to be bothered with actually being a parent. Scumbags.

bachok83

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
Mommy, buy me a GTA game, i promise i will be good this year.

At the same time Santa is sighing, "*sigh* not another one.. oh well, at least I can cut a present this year."

"Master Elf, please cut that GTA cd for this boy."

FSXFan

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
[citation][nom]jags_boy7[/nom]Good work on quoting something that is not breaking the law in any way. This is the equivalent of bringing a child under the age of 17 to a rated R movie. It is up to the discretion of the parent. Nice try though, legal n00b.[/citation]
That doesn't mean the parent shouldn't have enough discretion to not let their 14yr old be playing games meant for more mature audiences. My mom complains if she sees me playing GTA now and I'm in my 30's. If I was 14 in that situation, the main issue would've been THAT I was playing GTA, with being up at 2:30 secondary. There would have been no calls to police, just straight to a beating and my console would have been gone (cutting off access to something has a drastic effect on a person's ability to be "addicted" to it).

viometrix

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
my son is 9, he plays left4dead 1 and 2, gta4 (Multiplayer and free modes only, i dont want him seeing the story) cod4mw,ut3 and a few others, i am right beside him at my system either playing the same game or working, but i keep an eye on him, we do other things together too besides all the games. hes well rounded and in advanced classes and no discipline problems. but i set strong ground rules and if he breaks them he loses various privledges at my discretion for an indefinite amout of time.

it is not the games that are hurting our kids, its the parents. i see more and more doing less and less with their kids and relying way too much on the electric babysiter. then they wonder why their kids are unruly and sociably unacceptable. its not the games, its the lack of a thing called parenting.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
I feel bad for cops who have to waste their time with crap like that. Anyways, who gets addicted to Grand Theft Auto? Sure, someone might enjoy it and play it a lot until they win it, but after that, there's not much to keep you coming back. It's not like World of Warcraft or something where the entire gameplay revolves around making you play forever. The mom was either exaggerating or the son isn't too bright. Maybe he was just bored and couldn't sleep. What a parent might call addiction, a "hardcore gamer" might call normal.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
this is just stupid, lol. wtf? is the mother not able to control her son? donate all the game and the console to a poor family and make that brat pay for his own crap. as long as the kid lives at home he or she needs to respect the rules of the house and whatever hi or her mother says. wrf is going on with kids these days?

Hope Slayer

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
Only time the the cops should have been called was after she put a foot up his ass, and even then to only BACK HER UP.

My son ever acts this way he will find out real quick that the only thing I have to do is make sure he has a roof over his head, food, and clothing. Everything else is at my discrestion. That's one of the downfalls of todays parents, to many of my generation feel they have to provide this and that for their children and the children look at these cellphones, game consoles and whatever else as "rights" instead of priviledges.

mystoccowgod

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2008
[citation][nom]Hope Slayer[/nom]Only time the the cops should have been called was after she put a foot up his ass, and even then to only BACK HER UP.My son ever acts this way he will find out real quick that the only thing I have to do is make sure he has a roof over his head, food, and clothing. Everything else is at my discrestion. That's one of the downfalls of todays parents, to many of my generation feel they have to provide this and that for their children and the children look at these cellphones, game consoles and whatever else as "rights" instead of priviledges.[/citation]

you realize you're legally required to feed and clothe right? and to all the people saying hit the kids...any violence such as that should be met in kind with violence..you don't hit people you love and respect

theubersmurf

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
[citation][nom]LePhuronn[/nom]And of course nothing's been said or done about the fact this woman purchased a video game rated 18 (or R or whatever the US equivalent is) and is therefore breaking the law by exposing her child, or allowing him to be exposed to, adult material?[/citation]She's not breaking the law, she makes a discretionary decision about whether or not she thinks it's ok for her children to play an M rated game. Either she thought it was ok, or didn't think about it. Either way, that's not the issue at hand.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]mystoccowgod[/nom]you realize you're legally required to feed and clothe right? and to all the people saying hit the kids...any violence such as that should be met in kind with violence..you don't hit people you love and respect[/citation]

You hit them if need be.

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
[citation][nom]mystoccowgod[/nom]you realize you're legally required to feed and clothe right? and to all the people saying hit the kids...any violence such as that should be met in kind with violence..you don't hit people you love and respect[/citation]

There is a line between discipline and violence. Perhaps the term "hit" is being misused. To "hit" a kid implies abuse and violence. To discipline is the diff. A switch across his bottom or as back_by_demand said taking the system away with the straight up and fly right or kiss it goodbye just might work. Either way is fine by me. Just cause you backhand, spank, or whatever to someone does not mean you committed violence or harm. The idea that if you discipline your kids by corporal punishment is abuse and should use "time out", as some call it, is imo the reason why you have too many kids out there doing stupid things for stupid reasons. Face it "time out" just does not work most of the time.

Hope Slayer

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008

You do realize you must read a post properly inorder to form an opinon and a proper response? Read my post again and look at the part where I said...

[citation]My son ever acts this way he will find out real quick that the only thing I have to do is make sure he has a roof over his head, food, and clothing.[/citation]

I am fully aware of the law, being as I am one of the many public servants that has to respond to this kind of bullshit from society when I should be able to deal with real problems and not domestic short comings. Being an law enforcement officer I will be the first one to tell you that if you make an example to your child at an early age in regards to behavior consequinces the rest will work it's way out barring the child has no predisposed mental disorders.

Doesn't mean you have to beat their ass, but you are probably one of those people that fails to invoke "the alpha complex" in your children and in the end will pay for it. Love and Respect are two different things, parent(alpha) first, friend second. Anything less is setting yourself up for failure.

C00lIT

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
At least this time the mother didnt allow the cops to zap the kid lol...
As said time and time again, parenting is getting pretty bad these days.

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
unplugging an active console is a big no-no--might was well thrust a knife into our back
That sentence doesn't make any sense. Especially in the context of this report. You make it sound as if he stabbed his mom or something.

eccentric909

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
[citation][nom]datawrecker[/nom]Kid needs to be backhanded a couple of times. Too bad you can't do that anymore. I have even hears that you should not put kids in time out because it can cause "mental anguish from being isolated and develop repressed feelings of abandonment that could manifest into greater issues in adulthood." That and it really just doesn't work. [/citation]

You can still physically discipline your kids, at least in the US, if need be. It just can't be with any object (like a belt or paddle), but you can use your open hand. Some kids need a good swat to be put in their place.

I am not an advocate of physical discipline and luckily my son has always been a obedient and well behaved kid. However, I do realize some kids do not respond as well as others to just having privledges revoked, or just being grounded, and sometimes you're forced into a situation where nothing works as well as a good smack to the ass or swat upside the head. /shrug As long as it's your open hand, the law is on your side.

Montezuma

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
This is probably the same type of dumb bitch that would call 911 because her chicken nugget order was not right. I fucking hate dumb people.

Status
Not open for further replies.