More Details on GameStop's Streaming Service Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

rawful

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
This seems horribly useless to me if you still have to buy a physical copy of the game to buy their streaming service for that game. What incentive do you really have to buy the streaming service? It isn't very hard to bring your game disc with you when you go to play on someone else's console. It isn't like they take up a lot of space, especially if you keep them in a disc book.

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
It would be an additional service that you would be able to purchase as you buy a copy of the game to play on your Xbox. So it's a win-win for everybody.

Yeah, it a totally win for me when I get to pay for the game...twice! Mike Mauler is a jerk, and this 'experiment' will be an epic fail.

psychobob

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
Ah..pay more money to play the game I already have....on my TV. And i'd love to play Skyrim on my tablet with some sort of virtual keyboard and mouse covering the entire screen.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
offering a cloud copy to play with the purchase of a game would be a great addition to the purchase of a game and go a long way to helping brick and mortar stores compete with digital services like steam... if it were FREE with the puchase of the game... having to buy it a second time is just asking to fail

maybe it'll work due to patronage by the console people with no idea of how tech works, but any tech savy user (IE most poeple who will be readign this) will just set up a throw from thier home pc to thier tablet or smartphone .... but who knows,

theconsolegamer

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
[citation][nom]g00fysmiley[/nom]offering a cloud copy to play with the purchase of a game would be a great addition to the purchase of a game and go a long way to helping brick and mortar stores compete with digital services like steam... if it were FREE with the puchase of the game... having to buy it a second time is just asking to fail maybe it'll work due to patronage by the console people with no idea of how tech works, but any tech savy user (IE most poeple who will be readign this) will just set up a throw from thier home pc to thier tablet or smartphone .... but who knows,[/citation]
Hey not all console people are ignorant to tech, I know people that play on PC that i'm more knowledgable than them. Stop the stereotype.

mchuf

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]this is dumb unless the digital version is like $5 and they have no way to stop me from returning the game.[/citation]

Yah, but knowing how the console makers and gamestop operate, you'll have to have the disc in the console drive tobe able to stream the game.

Unless it is just a low fee (like the $5 you mentioned), this is just plain fail. It really sounds like something the console makers would do. Why do they need Gamestop, just to bankroll it?

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
Why is Gamestop even still in business? They sell opened games as new and charge more than anybody else, give crap for trade ins and resell them almost as much as the new ones (or perhaps as new in some cases).

Seriously, of all the companies that have been crushed by the economic collapse why the hell is this sh!t company still around?

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
"purchase the streaming version"
wait... what?
"The streaming version will be an additional purchase"
Oh... wow.. maybe I WON'T be using this service... If it's full price for the streaming version I'll pass and MAYBE I would get the streaming version if it's like $5 other than that... no, I won't buy a game twice. Sad though, I was hoping I could play God of War 3 at work on my laptop. I've already got the perfect controller and everything.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]aaron88_7[/nom]Why is Gamestop even still in business? They sell opened games as new and charge more than anybody else, give crap for trade ins and resell them almost as much as the new ones (or perhaps as new in some cases).Seriously, of all the companies that have been crushed by the economic collapse why the hell is this sh!t company still around?[/citation]

They bought all competition and formed a monopoly on the game specialty business, then used the leverage to do promo deals with new releases and raise the prices on trade ins. Lack of competition and special offers keep them in business. Direct downloads are posing a serious threat to their business. This solution will NOT solve that problem, as it still requires a physical purchase. It's nothing more than an extra promotion.

[citation][nom]dark_lord69[/nom]"purchase the streaming version"wait... what?"The streaming version will be an additional purchase"Oh... wow.. maybe I WON'T be using this service... If it's full price for the streaming version I'll pass and MAYBE I would get the streaming version if it's like $5 other than that... no, I won't buy a game twice. Sad though, I was hoping I could play God of War 3 at work on my laptop. I've already got the perfect controller and everything.[/citation]

Where anywhere does it say it's going to be a FULL purchase and not 5-10 dollars extra? A lot of commenters are jumping to conclusions.

The real question is, who wants this? If you want to play on a tablet/HDTV, it's going to mean that HDTV/tablet needs support for everything that game requires to play, including mic, controllers, HDMI out, as well as processing the stream. Since this is aimed at consoles, it's really more useful for taking it to TVs other than the one the console is connected to. You'd have to be too lazy to move the system around, a simple process with HDMI all in one connecting. You'd also need to own several newer internet enabled HDTVs. There's also the question of whether one could play the streamed copy at the same time as the physical copy. That would be an interesting possibility, but I doubt publishers would like 2+ people playing off a single sale of their game.

I just don't see the value here at any price.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
[citation][nom]theconsolegamer[/nom]Hey not all console people are ignorant to tech, I know people that play on PC that i'm more knowledgable than them. Stop the stereotype.[/citation]

I mean no disrespect to console peopel who know tech, but you have to admit they are fewer in number than pc gamers... specificallty frequenter's of sites like tom's ... I used to know alot about pc's even before i coudl afford even a mediocre one and thats when i played mostly on consoles (gamecube / ps2 days when i was in college) and you may be in that category so no disrespect but i think it s a accurage blanket statment (though don't thinki i mena all pc gamers know jack about computers, plenty of em order a pc from dell or hp from a sales person who has no idea themselves what different parts do and just assume more money is better performance/better commission)

also i imagine it is possible, but i've never actually seen a throw box done from a console. I can from my pc or my cable box to the pc to my smartphone, i inagine its possible to do input through it, but seems overly complicated vs just a throw from pc game to phone /tablet

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
[citation][nom]kinggraves[/nom]They bought all competition and formed a monopoly on the game specialty business, then used the leverage to do promo deals with new releases and raise the prices on trade ins. Lack of competition and special offers keep them in business.[/citation]
Gamestop doesn't have a monopoly, if I want used games I buy from E-bay, if I want new games I buy from Best Buy, and if I'm too lazy or impatient to to do either of those I'll download it from Steam. Why do people buy into this idea that Gamestop is the only place to buy games from?

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]aaron88_7[/nom]Gamestop doesn't have a monopoly, if I want used games I buy from E-bay, if I want new games I buy from Best Buy, and if I'm too lazy or impatient to to do either of those I'll download it from Steam. Why do people buy into this idea that Gamestop is the only place to buy games from?[/citation]

"A monopoly on the game specialty business"

I never said that it was the only place to buy games, but it isn't just about where to purchase the games from. Large vendors like WalMart or Best Buy may not carry certain titles or have the same promotional offers for new titles that a specialty business will have. They also may not have the same expertise in the industry that a specialty retailer will have. They do not have the same trade in offers that Gamestop has. Ebay is also not a comparable situation. The disc condition is debatable for both, but Ebay carries additional risks such as con artists and being out bid. GameStop bought out or wiped out all businesses that operated like them (EB/Funcoland/Babbages) and are the only retailer around that operates like they do and carries the weight in the game industry that they do. In their niche of the retail industry, they have no peers.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]g00fysmiley[/nom]offering a cloud copy to play with the purchase of a game would be a great addition to the purchase of a game and go a long way to helping brick and mortar stores compete with digital services like steam... if it were FREE with the puchase of the game... having to buy it a second time is just asking to fail maybe it'll work due to patronage by the console people with no idea of how tech works, but any tech savy user (IE most poeple who will be readign this) will just set up a throw from thier home pc to thier tablet or smartphone .... but who knows,[/citation]

brick and mortar stores are the reason that i still have to pay full price for a digital copy of the game, even though i get less, and am not paying for anything like gas and such. i want brick and mortar to die horrifically, and spare me the whole "what about people with bad internet". do you really think that there wouldnt be something like bring your 32gb stick, get game. i mean sure a 5-10% surcharge for that service, but pure online would be cheaper, and people have to pay more if they arent in good internet areas, like they are forcing us to do now with brick and mortar.

[citation][nom]aaron88_7[/nom]Why is Gamestop even still in business? They sell opened games as new and charge more than anybody else, give crap for trade ins and resell them almost as much as the new ones (or perhaps as new in some cases).Seriously, of all the companies that have been crushed by the economic collapse why the hell is this sh!t company still around?[/citation]

you know, i can understand why they open the games, people could easily steal them. its a compermise from putting everything behind glass. i don't like it and don't buy from them of given the chance, but i understand why.

everything else though, so true its painful.

[citation][nom]kinggraves[/nom]They bought all competition and formed a monopoly on the game specialty business, then used the leverage to do promo deals with new releases and raise the prices on trade ins. Lack of competition and special offers keep them in business. Direct downloads are posing a serious threat to their business. This solution will NOT solve that problem, as it still requires a physical purchase. It's nothing more than an extra promotion.Where anywhere does it say it's going to be a FULL purchase and not 5-10 dollars extra? A lot of commenters are jumping to conclusions.The real question is, who wants this? If you want to play on a tablet/HDTV, it's going to mean that HDTV/tablet needs support for everything that game requires to play, including mic, controllers, HDMI out, as well as processing the stream. Since this is aimed at consoles, it's really more useful for taking it to TVs other than the one the console is connected to. You'd have to be too lazy to move the system around, a simple process with HDMI all in one connecting. You'd also need to own several newer internet enabled HDTVs. There's also the question of whether one could play the streamed copy at the same time as the physical copy. That would be an interesting possibility, but I doubt publishers would like 2+ people playing off a single sale of their game.I just don't see the value here at any price.[/citation]

gamestop gives you at most 30$ for a used game if its sold to them in a week of release, and puts it on shelf for 55$ and if its 6 months old but good, 15 or less, but 55$ on the shelf.

we see this crap and cant imagie the streaming version being anything else but bending us over the table just a little harder.

if they dont require the console to be on, just know you have one, and the game, this would be a godsend for xbox, i wanted to dump that system for years due to the 5 dead ones i have had.

[citation][nom]aaron88_7[/nom]Gamestop doesn't have a monopoly, if I want used games I buy from E-bay, if I want new games I buy from Best Buy, and if I'm too lazy or impatient to to do either of those I'll download it from Steam. Why do people buy into this idea that Gamestop is the only place to buy games from?[/citation]

because not everyone is willing to risk anything on ebay, i know i wont.
best buy... seriously... they are just a non gameing only version of game stop... only place i could find an sata cable around here, 25 ***** dollars. and if you preorder anything from them, they make sure to stoc their stores with the item before honoring the preorders, take a look at rockband 3 squire, some people had to wait a month or so to get theirs because of bestbuy.

Status
Not open for further replies.