More Details on Google's Home Entertainment System

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikenygmail

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
Same here, but if a smart company could build a reasonably powerful all-in-one compact unit with AMD A8 or equivalent specs at a reasonable price, it would sell like hotcakes!

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]aftcomet[/nom]I prefer an actual HTPC that I can build myself to my liking than anything pre-built.[/citation]
A HTPC is great, but it's just too much of a hassle and too expensive for most people.

Just the hardware is 500 bucks. A lot more if you need the HDD space for a large collection of HD content.
Then you still have the problem of content. Easy in an age of online piracy, but that's far from ideal.

An average user is better off paying 100bucks for a simple idiot-proof set-top-box and 4-5bucks per movie or whatever it is.

in_the_loop

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]A HTPC is great, but it's just too much of a hassle and too expensive for most people.Just the hardware is 500 bucks. A lot more if you need the HDD space for a large collection of HD content.Then you still have the problem of content. Easy in an age of online piracy, but that's far from ideal.An average user is better off paying 100bucks for a simple idiot-proof set-top-box and 4-5bucks per movie or whatever it is.[/citation]

But we already have DNLA as a standard, which can plays both music, videos and even photos.
Should be possible to make a music player DNLA compatible too.
And you don't have to have a HTPC to play DNLA stuff.

As it is right now my Samsung TV with DNLA is connected to the stereo and I can use my Samsung Galaxy S2 phone, which has DNLA and stream files from the PC via the phone (Which acts like a hub) to the TV.
In actuallity the phone in this case works like a super remote controll.
It can also controll the tv (As a remote controll) and even the set top box that is used for the ip-tv that I am using (it's common in Sweden that instead of cable tv we have direct streaming from the internet through set top boxes and, yes, that includes hdtv channels too).
The latter works by android apps communicating through Wifi (the router) to the devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.