More Rumors About iPhone 5 Coming in Aug/Sept.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bren7473

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
So it comes down to this. The iPhone 5 will have comparable hardware to its competitors but it will also have an enormously better UI. And people that don't like apple (for no apparent reason) will nerd out about the specs compared to other less reliable phones that no one can tell any noticeable performance difference in anyway. Anyway I'm only excited about the next ipod touch. (I'll finally be updating mine since a drunken night made it mysteriously disappear) I'll get everything for iphone users have for 200 bucks with no 90$ phone bill! And there is wi-fi literally everywhere now (even down here in GA). I've got my 25$ a month old school phone and the battery lasts for days. So it comes down to personal opinion on which UI you like the best and the available apps. So stop bitching about the companies which are all practically the same.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]bennaye[/nom]Gather round, sheep. Let the shepherds fleece you of your cash.[/citation]

Just curious. How were cell phones in general before the iPhone came out?

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]robochump[/nom]Just curious. How were cell phones in general before the iPhone came out?[/citation]

Working, over a day talk time, over a two weeks standby, no antenna issues, no breaking glasses and most importantly - No need for a app that pointed you to the nearest condom machine in a attempt to prevent Apple sheep growth!

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
^^ Pure gold. Moreover, touchscreens suck for typing. I still keep a regular cheapest Nokia for actual phone: calling and typing on T9 keyboard goes so much better than ony any "smart"phone... About "useless hardware" and "gigahertz race": other phones, such as Galaxy S II, offer very useful features: USB-on-the-Go, HDMI out, just to name a few. Does iPhone have that? No? Sorry, don't need a "phone" with a 4'' screen that can't read my USB devices and can't stream the video to my TV...

G

They were to personal..you actually had to call someone to get any use out of it.

gallidorn

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Hopefully it will be 4G. The mock-up looks very nice, but I'd be nervous about having a phone that thin. It would be too easy to break, unless they reinforce it somehow.

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]^^ Pure gold. Moreover, touchscreens suck for typing. I still keep a regular cheapest Nokia for actual phone: calling and typing on T9 keyboard goes so much better than ony any "smart"phone... About "useless hardware" and "gigahertz race": other phones, such as Galaxy S II, offer very useful features: USB-on-the-Go, HDMI out, just to name a few. Does iPhone have that? No? Sorry, don't need a "phone" with a 4'' screen that can't read my USB devices and can't stream the video to my TV...[/citation]

The iPhone absolutely doesn't have USB-on-the-go. Or HDMI out. But then again, as a person who has had absolutely no need for those features, to date, those kinda features are meaningless extras. And most people.. Most people don't either. Now while having the option is better than not having it(because you just never know when the day might happen where you do need it..), the problem is that droid phones are still, too problematic, and have too rough of an experience for me to be willing to trade in for. You obviously do, and I'm glad you have what you want. Feels nice spending money on something you think is worth the money you worked hard for huh? Obviously, iphone users did the same..

chronicbint

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2007
Too many borderline retarded people. Personally I love all technology, own PC's, Macs, iPad, iPods, iPhone, HTC phone and possible an Android tablet if they take off(currently not worth it as the apps are not there yet)......they are all great and all have pros and cons. You have to be an exceedingly myopic and stupid individual to exclude yourself from other brands of technology.

lolyumadbro

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]Now, to flame the iPhone 5 itself: already beaten by Galaxy S II with its superior hardware.[/citation]

That is a foolish thing to say. Just because a piece of hardware has more power doesn't exactly mean that the OS/Apps written for it will be able to fully utilize it.

iOS's closed nature also grants it high efficiency. Just look at the iPhone 4.. It's 1ghz cpu hold's it's own against many dual core Android phones out in the market today.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]tokenz[/nom]I don't have an Iphone, I dont own any product of apples besides apple tv. I run an htc desire as my smartphone. Here is the thing though. Steve will release the iphone 5 and I will be there to buy it. I am so sick of the lack of quality apps, and fragmentation that I am going to jump ship. I dont want to root, install a custom rom, install a custom kernal, only to have my phone not be able to support Netflix, Hulu, etc. I just want it to work. Yes I have netflix on my cm7 desire. But I cant upgrade it from market. I am sick of a new android phone coming out every 2 months with outstanding hardware, only to be let down by the software.[/citation]

So why go from one crappy service to another, there are other smartphones y'know, ever thought of trying Blackberry or WP7?

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]Now, to flame the iPhone 5 itself: already beaten by Galaxy S II with its superior hardware.[/citation]

It's not even out yet. You don't know what hardware it has. Moron.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]whysobluepandabear[/nom]Less secure? You have to be kidding me. Phone security is a joke. Don't download janky-ass apps and you won't have any issues. The thing is, I rather have the option to choose for myself which apps I download and even have access to. I say that, because The Holy Dictator himself, Sir Steve Jobs must pre-approve every app personally, before It touches foot in the app store.[/citation]

Describing phone security as a joke misses the point entirely. The point is, that the Android operating system has proven to be a lot LESS secure than OTHER PHONE os's. Take the ridiculous example where anyone using Twitter or Facebook on public Wifi was exposing their passwords to the whole world. That isn't bad security, that is shockingly awful and potentially disastrous LACK of security, even against the backdrop of mobile phones. Are Twitter and Facebook apps 'janky-ass' to you, my misinformed friend?

You say to want to download any apps you want - unvetted, untested, unverified, like it's some kind of good thing? Fine, if you want that, take it and the lack of security it creates. I personally prefer to know that the app I'm installing has been checked and verified by people who built the phone - it's a far far more robust system, and it's ridiculous that you don't see that.

distanted

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
There's a lot I don't like about Apple, Jobs or iProduct designs, but if their hugely successful product announcements causes you all kinds of grief, consider this: 1) You are showing your angry nerd side. 2) Every time Apple introduces a hugely successful tech product, the iProduct 'killers' are sure to follow. Apple may not make what you like, but what you do like probably was made to compete with an Apple product, so you benefit one way or the other.

I'm using my wife's iPad and iPhone at work now, thanks to the Eye Fi card that syncs my DSLR to both devices wirelessly. I've used the iPad for proofing photos with clients on photo shoots, and I covered an event a couple of days ago that involved three hours of field work with photos being emailed back to my office as the event progressed. I'm sure androids and others can do all that too, but the Apple does it, and right now they are the only ones with Datacolor SpyderGallery for color calibrated image viewing, so I'm using Apple to make my day job much better...if that makes me a sheep.....then, BAAAAAH!

Status
Not open for further replies.