Mortal Kombat Developer Already Has a PSP 2

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

proletarian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
[citation][nom]__-_-_-__[/nom]why smaller memory cards?!? the bigger ones are not that big that you can't carry... I mean.. they only weight a few grams more.and bigger = more memory per card and FASTER and CHEAPER.imo it should support CFAST cards.[/citation]

smaller memory card = smaller memory card reader = lighter system / more room for other features, such as bluetooth pr maybe even a gps chip, or a DVB-H chip for some telly.

the sega game gear could do telly, and that was 15 odd years ago.

tu_illegalamigo

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010
[citation][nom]aaron92[/nom]Let's just make it a smartphone while we're at it...ಠ_ಠ[/citation]
Why not? Most of these smart phones are too small. Highly doubtful anyway.

[citation][nom]arthur92710[/nom]Apps? 3g4g? Its not for calling your grandma, if you want apps get an I phone. If you want to play real games get a psp.I would like to see g/n wifi and a better refresh rate on the lcd. Removable battery.[/citation]

I think it would be a cool option. I agree with your improvement ideas though, they need to have n based wifi and a better lcd and removable battery are all very useful additions. I highly doubt they`ll add 3g/4g.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
Why the hell wpuld you want.3 / 4g on a psp os beyond me. Just hang arpund an open router. Even in the middle of central park you can get signal. And you won't go skipping around in maps on mp when you switch towere.

tubers

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2008
It'd better output the correct aspect ratio on TVs if ever since it's gonna have good graphics and fix interlacing issues
Backwards compatible with PSP games even at least in the PSPs digital download games
Ability to give Anti-Alias and AF and other filters to older PSP games
Have at least wireless-G or N
Bluetooth
Micro SD card slot
2nd nub
not digital download only

Ability to use a dualshock 3 w/ native support on games via Bluetooth or USB hard wired for games, without the need or intervention of the Playstation 3.

Better web browser with native Flash support.

I'd easily pay up 350 USD for such a handheld.

nexus9113

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
[citation][nom]Efrayim[/nom]As long as it supports UMDs I'm all for it.[/citation]

Agreed, then it would at least have backwards compatability for my PSP1 collection and I wouldn't have to carry around a second system to switch back and forth.

[citation][nom]proletarian[/nom]smaller memory card = smaller memory card reader = lighter system / more room for other features, such as bluetooth pr maybe even a gps chip, or a DVB-H chip for some telly.the sega game gear could do telly, and that was 15 odd years ago.[/citation]

A smaller memory card reader would not necessarily equal a lighter/smaller system. All the memory card reader is now on the current PSP is nothing more than a slot with contacts, the actual reading portion is done with other equipment on the PCB which takes up no room at all. An SD/MicroSD would actually be a better choice because of its more universal format, and would be more interchangeable into more devices. And the Sega Gamegear did television with a massive ass cartridge that had rabbit ears, and so did the Gameboy Advance.

[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]also, its pretty much been confirmed that sony's next handheld is gonna be a phone with android on it... yeah.[/citation]

Nothing has been confirmed. They haven't said anything. They won't even confirm that they've started handing out devkits. Everything is speculation at this point. They've only mentioned slight interest in touch screen and mobile data. And it's doubtful they would go with Android when they have their own OS they can license and make money on with developers.

[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]With the PSP2 they should instead use Memory cards to store games, i mean come on you can get 4GB Chips for what, $10?-$5?Then they could just add or take away memory sizes, gamesaves might also be saved onto the same card![/citation]

Keep in mind that's what it costs US, the consumer to get those chips. They can get OEM chips much cheaper (I believe Sony even makes its own chips, so even cheaper than that), so larger capacity chips than what you've stated could be made at low cost, and overtime as fabrication processes improve the cost:size ratio will change even more drastically. So I fully back a removable card medium not only for capacity, but for on-cartridge saving and faster, less energy consumptive access. SSD/Onboard flash is going to make the system heavier/less upgradeable than just putting a slot with contacts and the rest of the hardware scattered onboard the PCB.

I think the big limiter, as it is with any other console, is onboard
RAM, and yes I know "it doesn't have an OS so it doesn't need as much as a PC", but that extra RAM freed up by lack of OS processes can be put to good use in terms of resource accessability, allowing larger textures, larger levels, higher fidelity sound, etc. There is only so much you can do with a more powerful GPU on a screen that size to where it's no longer noticeable. You're biggest graphic fidelity hit is going to come in texture size, not poly-counts, and resolution is solely dependent on the physical size of the screen you're playing on. Now a Hi-Def output for when you want to hookup to you're big screen would be nice, but that's probably going to continue being delegated to the actual tabletop consoles, and not such a focus on hand-held systems.

Touch screen, while nice for navigating the OS and web, is complete balls for gaming. I have an iPhone, and touchscreen gaming is not nearly as responsive as a good ol fashioned d-pad and buttons. I'd rather have more focus on the joysticks, but there again, not really much room for any kind of real improvement from what they have right now that won't jack up the system profile. I mean, look at the 3DS, they have the same damn nub. I'm just gonna have to go with the old saying of "you can't have your cake and eat it too", you're either taking a hit in portability because you're analog stick jabs out too far, or a hit in comfort/control to shave off precious cm/mm on the unit's profile. I myself use an aftermarket stick on my PSP, and in order for me to stick it in my pocket I have to remove the stick, but I feel it a worthwhile sacrifice to gain a bit more control and comfort. Now maybe what they could do is make the analogs removable with an on unit storage option to save profile while traveling, and give you function when playing.

As far as any other dream features:
Cell network compatability a la Kin, where you don't have to pay for the connection to do e-tailer shopping to DL new games.

Bluetooth for headsets for online gaming, sync'ing with PC's, PS3's.

Better upscaling when connecting to a TV.

Mini-HDMI-HDMI connection, or even proprietary-HDMI so we can have full fidelity sound/video. First is preferred so we're not locked into 3 cable makers for options.

Hardware accelerated web browser.

2 additional shoulder buttons, maybe directly on the back of the unit, similar in form to the face buttons with a slight angle.

Ability to tether with a cell phone for online access. Just make a female ended cable out from the PSP2, since most phones nowadays have a USB data cable.

Don't put a damn camera on it, it's a waste of space for other hardware you can put on it. I honestly don't get the obsession the world has with putting a stupid camera on everything.

Last but not least, do not make a purely digital download system. The vast majority of consumers want something tangible for their game collection, I know I do, because god forbid you walk away from the system for months to maybe a year or two (did that with Steam for a period in my life because internet was less of a priority than survival) and come back and get screwed because you forgot your username or password. (Luckily for me I was able to eventually get mine restored) A tangible medium leaves no reason to worry about a situation like that. And you may say something like "Well just have the pass saved on the system", what happens if the data becomes corrupt and you have to reformat? It happens, it's happened on almost every system I've ever owned that had local on board storage or otherwise. That's also an argument against on board storage, if it goes bad you're fucked. And assigning the account to a specific hardware address is also bad because if you ever decide to sell your system because you want a new revision or whatnot then you either can't sell your system, or you would still have to remember a name/pass to change account assignments, which you would probably forget if you don't put it in regularly.

As much as I'd like all of the above to happen, I know I am only one voice, and they don't give a crap. Hah!

adamboy64

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
The idea of a PSPhone would nearly be enough to sway me from Nokia.. I've been really excited about the concept of it. Really interested as to how the PSP2 turns out..

I think it needs a successor so the 3DS doesn't dominate it.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]proletarian[/nom]smaller memory card = smaller memory card reader = lighter system / more room for other features, such as bluetooth pr maybe even a gps chip, or a DVB-H chip for some telly.the sega game gear could do telly, and that was 15 odd years ago.[/citation]
The fact that you can cram 32Gb onto a micro-SD card shows that size of media is pretty much irrelevant, (yes I know Sony don't use micro-SD, it's an example) the over-riding factor for smaller cards is their power usage, especially compared to a mechanically driven spinning UMD.

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
I think the big problem is this: What good is an excellent platform with no good games to drive it?

If you historically look at several platforms, mobile or not, it's a combination of both hardware and software available (or available in the future) the drive a decision to buy or not to buy the hardware. This is why the Nintendo Handhelds consistently do very well, because they have a staple of hand-held games that sell ver well to support them, EX: Pokemon, Mario Brothers, Puzzle Games (tetris, brain teasers), etc.

sviola

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
[citation][nom]tubers[/nom]Micro SD card slot[/citation]

Thiis is Sony they won't add any open standard memory card. Expect them to add m2 or Mwmory Stick Duo (or in an even more upsetting way, create a new memory card standard that only works on PSP2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS