Solved! Most indicator lights off besides one & Black Screen

Nov 16, 2021
Hello,

When I turn on my laptop, all indicator lights on laptop are off besides the hard drive. Fans turn on then off the moment the laptop is powered on and there is a black screen.

I tried searching for remedies online like re-seating the memory and power cycling the battery. Is it possible there is an issue with the motherboard?

I first suspected it might be the new battery I installed since I didn't encounter this issue before then. I tried booting the laptop without the battery and connecting the power supply but I am still encountering this same issue. I ordered new ram to test to see if RAM is the cause (seeing that reseating it did not work). I appreciate any thoughts/advice on this.

Thank you!

Solution
Hello,

When I turn on my laptop, all indicator lights on laptop are off besides the hard drive. Fans turn on then off the moment the laptop is powered on and there is a black screen.

I tried searching for remedies online like re-seating the memory and power cycling the battery. Is it possible there is an issue with the motherboard?

I first suspected it might be the new battery I installed since I didn't encounter this issue before then. I tried booting the laptop without the battery and connecting the power supply but I am still encountering this same issue. I ordered new ram to test to see if RAM is the cause (seeing that reseating it did not work). I appreciate any thoughts/advice on this.

Thank you!
To check if the...
Did you follow proper ESD precautions when you took the laptop apart? If not, you may have zapped something on the motherboard. You need to take the laptop to a repair shop or send it back for repair if that is the case.

I see these posts often. If you want to open your machine, you need to use the service manual for the machine and follow the precautions they describe. Sorry.

mrmike16

Honorable
Hello,

Thank you!
To check if the motherboard is failing, remove all parts of the laptop (Following ESD precautions as previously mentioned) except for the motherboard, including the CMOS battery. Then, starting with the PSU, try starting the laptop and see what happens. If it starts beeping or giving some kind of code with the indicator lights, that's a good sign. Then put in the RAM and try it. If it still doesn't work, and you tried it with different RAM sticks, it is probably the motherboard. If it does work, then put the parts back in and test them, one by one.

Reactions: Buhb
Solution
Nov 16, 2021
Did you follow proper ESD precautions when you took the laptop apart? If not, you may have zapped something on the motherboard. You need to take the laptop to a repair shop or send it back for repair if that is the case.

I see these posts often. If you want to open your machine, you need to use the service manual for the machine and follow the precautions they describe. Sorry.

I believe I did. I had an anti-static wrist band and watched videos on how to open up the laptop. Fingers crossed there are no issues with the motherboard.

Nov 16, 2021
With your suggestion, I discovered the issue and it's very unexpected. Along with the battery, I replaced the touch pad because the original stopped working. Whenever the new touchpad cord is connected to the motherboard it does not boot. I am unsure why this is an issue. Do either of you have any ideas why this is happening?

In case this might be helpful, I have an ASUS x750 laptop. The new touchpad is darker than the OEM in appearance but fits perfectly.
To check if the motherboard is failing, remove all parts of the laptop (Following ESD precautions as previously mentioned) except for the motherboard, including the CMOS battery. Then, starting with the PSU, try starting the laptop and see what happens. If it starts beeping or giving some kind of code with the indicator lights, that's a good sign. Then put in the RAM and try it. If it still doesn't work, and you tried it with different RAM sticks, it is probably the motherboard. If it does work, then put the parts back in and test them, one by one.

Thank you! I will keep this in mind.
Good for you! Unless you have a grounded mat also, make sure you touch a grounded point inside the PC before you touch anything else. You need to discharge the laptop itself. Do that again any time you move the laptop.

Last edited:

mrmike16

Honorable
With your suggestion, I discovered the issue and it's very unexpected. Along with the battery, I replaced the touch pad because the original stopped working. Whenever the new touchpad cord is connected to the motherboard it does not boot. I am unsure why this is an issue. Do either of you have any ideas why this is happening?

In case this might be helpful, I have an ASUS x750 laptop. The new touchpad is darker than the OEM in appearance but fits perfectly.

Thank you! I will keep this in mind.
My guess is that the touchpad is causing a short. Return it and replace it, if you can. Don't keep using it- It may permanently damage your motherboard if I'm right about that.

Reactions: Buhb

TRENDING THREADS